Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i married ?

Options
  • 30-04-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5 DJL

So I was married in a church and i never registered it with the births deaths & weddings office, I never sent off the form. When ive checked recently, my wedding is not listed anywhere. Does this mean i dont require a divorce in ireland or does anyone know who this works ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

You'd have to call the office where you got your marriage registration form and clarify with them. Whether it means your marriage is null and void or not. Which do you want it to be? If the latter then they may need to get you guys together again and resign the papers or get court approval. If the first, then say it to them and push your agenda and maybe you won't be marked as married.
    In either case, you'd have to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DJL

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

You're married! It's just that the marriage hasn't been registered. If you gave the state and Church notice, stood in front of a solemniser and exchanged vows and you and the witnesses signed the mrf, you're married.

Get on to the Registry Office and they'll sort it out for you. Mind you, prepared to get an earful for not returning the papers!!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

neemish wrote: »
    You're married! It's just that the marriage hasn't been registered. If you gave the state and Church notice, stood in front of a solemniser and exchanged vows and you and the witnesses signed the mrf, you're married.

Get on to the Registry Office and they'll sort it out for you. Mind you, prepared to get an earful for not returning the papers!!

Good luck

Not true.
    If you don't send the form back within 30 days you are not married by law (although you are married in the church). I know two people who had to have another ceremony because of this.

Is it not illegal not to register a birth, death or marriage? Not suggesting it is, but I always thought so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement