Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lonely in Lusk

Options
  • 30-04-2013 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Titles says it all really.

I moved here 6 years ago and I know my next door neighbour, my hairdresser and the girl in the off-licence :)

I have tried to get to know people around here but its seems a bit clicky (no offence meant) and unless you have young children there doesnt seem to be anything I can get involved in, or just a way to get to know people. believe me ive tried :)

I tried setting up a knitting club, posted 700 flyers and got 1 reply.

Im 50, Has anyone any ideas or suggestions on how I can get involved a bit more ?

I like eating, drinking, watching football, walking, hiking.

Thanks in advance x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Fair dues to you with the fliers - if that's your thing and there wasnt a huge return on it, you could team up with other knitting groups - I know there are some organised through the local libraries & maybe build a network from there?

It can be hard in suburbia where all the folk are married with kids & that's their life & lifestyle.

There's an online meet-up organisation that I found amazing - meet up.com. You pick your areas of interest & local events that are organised get listed to your email account & you can decide whether to choose to go or not. You'd be surprised how many there are - and there are quite a few for hillwalking - might suite? I we t on a few for HowthSailing & Wicklow hikes - great days out & everyone turned up by themselves. Good mix of ages & people.

Would really recommend you try it!!
    Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Getting involved with charity is also a great day of getting to know people, maybe helping out in some of the charity shops, schools or church could work?

The library is also a good suggestion, I imagine they do a good few courses and/or coffee mornings that might be worth joining?

As a foreigner moving here, I know it can be hard to get to know new people in your area, fair dues to you for posting it here... Hopefully we can get you sorted!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's a knitting group meeting on Thursdays in Swords at the Premier Inn - we have people who come from skerries and a couple of other further places. Approx 8-10pm. PM me if you'd like more details.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Yeah , welcome to our potential New volunteer.??????
    On behalf of Friends of Autism and ADHD in Skerries .:)
    PM sent.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Theres a Fingal Walking club who do a nice relaxed walk- 2-2.5 hours at 10.30 every Sunday morning. Next Sunday is Bellewstown - PM me if you want details. They are a lovely relaxed group and you certainly could come on your own.

As someone said try the Library - they probably have a book club also which is a great way to get to know people and they tend to be pretty relaxed about whether you read the book or not :) There are two in Balbriggan library.

If you like watching football does that mean you know a bit about it? I am sure the local soccer or GAA club would love someone to help out with underage teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cheninblanc

I'm a lusk local, here 6 years too. I'd recommend you try the local ICA, they are a lovely group of women, do lots of activities like flower arranging, baking, think there's knitting, and 30 of them just back from weekend in Madrid. I'll find out when and where they meet if you think U be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

See if there's a Tidy Towns group in Lusk. They are always looking for help. Even if it's not an organised thing, there's nothing to stop you from cleaning up your locality. You'll always meet people doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

Thanks for all the suggestions. Id be interested in whatever is going on. I work full-time, so anything evening or weekends would be great :).

Anymore info on the ICA would be great, ive checked online but any info ive found seems to be a couple of years old :), though flower-arranging and baking wouldnt be my thing but im sure theres lots more. Thanks so much x

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

My mothers heavily involved in the Balbriggan branch of the ICA and she's travelled length and breadth of the country with them and farther afield into europe and has met 2 presidents now. its a pretty interesting and fun group to be involved in by all accounts anyway! They dont just do the traditional stuff, they get involved with charities, local community projects and historical tours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

The ICA in Lusk meet in the Scout Den on the first Wednesday of every month at 8.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

See if there's a Tidy Towns group in Lusk. They are always looking for help. Even if it's not an organised thing, there's nothing to stop you from cleaning up your locality. You'll always meet people doing that.

Contact, Mrs Kelly, across the road from the Garda station, she is always looking for help, at this time of year, if Tidy Towns is of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 deco2013

Carter12 wrote: »
    Titles says it all really.

I moved here 6 years ago and I know my next door neighbour, my hairdresser and the girl in the off-licence :)

I have tried to get to know people around here but its seems a bit clicky (no offence meant) and unless you have young children there doesnt seem to be anything I can get involved in, or just a way to get to know people. believe me ive tried :)

I tried setting up a knitting club, posted 700 flyers and got 1 reply.

Im 50, Has anyone any ideas or suggestions on how I can get involved a bit more ?

I like eating, drinking, watching football, walking, hiking.

Thanks in advance x

Full of admiration for your efforts ... Just wondered if you had any further success !, in similar boat slightly younger but not by much tho ðŸ˜႒

deco2013 wrote: »
    Full of admiration for your efforts ... Just wondered if you had any further success !, in similar boat slightly younger but not by much tho ðŸ˜႒

No not really to be honest. Ive joined a Gym in swoards and go swimming a couple of times a week and I joined the GIY group in Rush, havent been to a meeting yet as so far it conflicts with work.

With the finer weather I can get out and about a bit more. If ever you want to walk the ring road some evening PM me. I go some evenings x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

http://www.meetup.com/northsiders/‎

Maybe you would enjoy that group - they have regular walks in Portmarnock on Sunday mornings plus other activities.

If you are genuinely trying to meet new people most of the suggestions earlier in the thread will provide that chance - just look around and try new things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Carter12 wrote: »
    No not really to be honest. Ive joined a Gym in swoards and go swimming a couple of times a week and I joined the GIY group in Rush, havent been to a meeting yet as so far it conflicts with work.

With the finer weather I can get out and about a bit more. If ever you want to walk the ring road some evening PM me. I go some evenings x

What's giy group

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Grow It Yourself, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Grow It Yourself, I think.

Yep.

Yes, grow it yourself :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Would you consider taking up something like sailing? I'm forty this year and just got into it, and it's proving to be a fairly social activity?

Advertisement