Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood Tests, Worry and Waiting

• 30-04-2013 8:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a cat (approx 10 years old) who is going in for blood tests tomorrow morning. She's been losing a little weight and the vet wants to check thyroid, kidneys, glucose etc to make sure she isn't sick.

This is my first pet and I'm an absolute nervous wreck. If I search online I find the worst horror stories possible, typical for the internet.

I was just wondering how long do the results take to come back in roughly?
    How do you guys stay calm in these situations? I'm concerned my nerves are affecting the poor little thing and she seems to know something isn't right!

Sorry if these are silly questions, I've never had a pet before and she is absolutely the world to me! After 4 years together I can't imagine her not being part of the family.

I feel a bit silly, I'm 31 and I'm nearly in tears at my desk. I'm shaking and sweating like a mad thing! Amazing how close you get to the little devils isn't it!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Don't feel silly, I'm the same when it comes to my pets. I'm a ball of worry when I think something might be wrong.

Also stop Googling horror stories. I know it's tempting, but try to wait and see what, if anything, the blood tests show. Losing weight could be a symptom of many things so it's best to find out what it is first rather than scaring yourself even more.

My vet usually has blood test results within an hour, but it depends on the vet and whether they do them in house or send them off for analysis. I would think that most vets do them in house these days though (?). You could give them a ring and ask. They'll be well used to worried owners asking questions so don't be shy about getting in touch with them.

Fingers crossed and let us know the outcome! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

It depends on what parameters they want to check.
    Some tests can be run in the house, other can be made only in more specific labs.
    If the test is made in the house it takes 1 or 2 hours. If sent to a lab it may take 2 or 3 days.
    What symptoms have you noticed in your cat?
    Is she drinking much more than usual? Did she lost interest in grooming herself? Do you think her breath has a bad smell?

Consider that when they get old they eat less and tend to lose weight.

Don't be worried, your cat might sense you and feel worried as well.
    Best of luck for your cat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Thank you both very much, I really appreciate it!

She's still grooming herself, she's full of beans. She is drinking a little more but it's warm and she's perched in the sun all day purring and washing herself! Her breath is a little stinky but nothing abnormal for a cat, and she does need her teeth cleaned soon anyway.

TBH she seems fine, but better safe than sorry. She's a wonderful little thing and I'm damn well going to mind the bejezus out of her!

When cats stop grooming, have bad breath and drink more it can be a warning for kidney disease or diabetes. Of course all of these symptoms appear when the situation is really bad.
    My elder cat suffers from kidney disease since she was 6 (now she's 13) and we realized of that very soon because I noticed she was drinking a little too often. We started a treatment right away (it's a life-long treatment) and the results are very encouraging.

Thyroid disease is a quite common fact in old cats, has symptoms very similar to the kidney disease but the cat lose weight fast and can have soft faeces.

It sounds like your cat is just a little of age, so everything will be alright.
    Keep an eye on her regularly and take her to the vet twice a year, just to be on the safe side and be sure that everything is going fine.

Let us know what the vet will tell you ;)

Glad to hear your kitty is well! It's reassuring to know that there are treatments for these things too!

I'll let you guys know how it goes once I get the results. It's all a bit heartbreaking!

She's always had a dodgy tummy so we have to give her special food and it can be hard to get the amount right so there's innumerable possibilites. I'm trying to stay away from the worst case scenarios. It's like googling sniffles and getting the result 'cancer' immediately!

We always get her checked up and this is the first time we've had to do anything (other than a cat dentist visit) so I'm absolutely terrified! It's all new to me!

Thanks again for the replies, it's putting my mind at ease! Getting her fasting and into the box to bring her to the vet is going to be... challenging! She's a spry little devil when she wants to be :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I hope all goes well with your cat, I know I get worried sick when one of my cats is a bit off form. I had one of mine in to have his teeth checked last month and he needed 2 teeth removed. His appetite has increased since then, he's like little eating machine now. Let us know how you get on:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If you can manage to get a clean urine sample from her this will also help your vet. If she has a litter tray in the house, clean it out and see if you can get her to go in it. A urinalysis will be part of the vets workup so it will be a huge help if you could bring one with you. Don't worry if you cant though and best of luck.

anniehoo wrote: »
    If she has a litter tray in the house, clean it out and see if you can get her to go in it.

Very good advice!
    If the cat doesn't want to use the empty litter box, you could use a layer of lentils instead. They don't absorb urine so you are able to pick up a sample with a syringe.
    Keep the sample cool (in a fridge is alright) right until you hand it to the vet.

Hey guys. Just in work after the vet all morning.

We thought she was around 11.5 years old, but the vet reckons she is a couple older than that. Her kidneys are starting to fail, so we have medication to give her and a change in diet to help her kidneys.

We just can't be sure if she is older so the severity is hard to judge. We can just treat it with all we can and love the hell out of her the whole way along.

Thanks for your posts, I knew what to expect. You guys made a hard situation easier and I really appreciate it. I'm sure little Rosie does too! Things have been very tough for me lately and you guys out of the kindness of your hearts really did me a great favour :)

I'll let you all know how things go anyway. She's back in for bloods again in 6 weeks!

Edit: It's worth pointing out she's got a huge appetite still and is full of beans. We got home and the sad meooowing stopped and became "eh... where's my food? You there, food slave, feed me at once. You're dismissed" so that's great. We caught it early though so I'm staying positive and she is going to be spoiled with all the cuddles even more so than ever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Sorry to hear that OP. :( At least you know now whats wrong and you're getting the right treatment. It's always tough when a pet gets old/unwell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Edit: It's worth pointing out she's got a huge appetite still and is full of beans. We got home and the sad meooowing stopped and became "eh... where's my food? You there, food slave, feed me at once. You're dismissed" so that's great. We caught it early though so I'm staying positive and she is going to be spoiled with all the cuddles even more so than ever smile.png

well known quote: "Dogs have masters, Cats have staff" :D
    Hope the meds get your cat sorted quickly, and you have lots more loving and living together

Well, now you know what it is.
    If it's a kidneys problem you should have noticed that she was more thirsty and that she used the litter box more often.
    As I told you, my elder cat suffer from a chronical kidney disease. The treatment that I follow for my cat is easy.
    I changed her diet to something balanced for her problem. There are many kinds of "renal" food. You might have some problem finding the one your cat likes the most.
    In my case the vet gave me the prescription for a medicine that my cat has to take as long as she lives. It's something that relief blood pressure on the kidneys so they can work easier. I don't think I can write the name in my post.
    Then I was suggested to do subcutaneous injection of ringer's solution. This helps clean her blood and keep her hydrated.
    Cats treated this way can live for years.
    Discuss this with your vet, it can make the difference!
    All the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Well, now you know what it is.
    If it's a kidneys problem you should have noticed that she was more thirsty and that she used the litter box more often.
    As I told you, my elder cat suffer from a chronical kidney disease. The treatment that I follow for my cat is easy.
    I changed her diet to something balanced for her problem. There are many kinds of "renal" food. You might have some problem finding the one your cat likes the most.
    In my case the vet gave me the prescription for a medicine that my cat has to take as long as she lives. It's something that relief blood pressure on the kidneys so they can work easier. I don't think I can write the name in my post.
    Then I was suggested to do subcutaneous injection of ringer's solution. This helps clean her blood and keep her hydrated.
    Cats treated this way can live for years.
    Discuss this with your vet, it can make the difference!
    All the best!

Whilst we have the best will in the world here, if the OPs cat's renal issue is chronic rather than acute these measures won't always help.

Renal failure isn't always a direct "end of the road" diagnosis, but it has to be taken into consideration with the animals "age" and "overall health" ok.

Ringers solution is given basically as an extreme hydration method. It doesn't "clean her blood", it provides her with the necessary electrolytes temporarily and should never be used long term. It's high in sodium and low in potassium.Kidney friendly.

It's a "quick fix" but shouldn't be used long term unless under veterinary supervision.

If she's older than we thought she would be 14 - 15 years old. I think her age is a huge factor, and I'm going to follow the vet's instructions and get follow up blood work in 4 - 6 weeks as instructed. Thanks for all your posts, I really appreciate them.

I'm so new to all this, it's absolutely heart breaking. She's still happy and full of life though and I have to make sure I make the absolutle most of every minute we have together! She's been like a little furry rock that I've held on to with all the storms tearing through my life! Better run as now I'm crying at my desk and am going to look a bit mad!

Advertisement