Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to go Aus with a baby

Options
  • 30-04-2013 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Im new to this so sorry if i offend any1.im thinking of going to aus in a few months,i have a partner and a child, i dont have a visa yet.i have done alot of research and it seems you cannot bring a child on a working holiday visa.can someone please give advice or know someone who has gone over with a child.Please Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Loads of people move/migrate to Australia with children/families, they just have a more substantive visa than a holiday visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes if you want to work in Australia with a child and partner the Working Holiday Visa is not for you.

You need to get sponsored , apply for migration or some other permanent Visa

• Registered Users Posts: 11 omarlittle123

thanks for the replies.can ye tell me are they really strict on this.is it possible to get my child into the country while on this visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

thanks for the replies.can ye tell me are they really strict on this.is it possible to get my child into the country while on this visa?

So now you're asking if you can do something illegal :rolleyes:

No, you arrive at the arrivals gate. You have a toddler/kid in Tow and you get your visa checked and low and behold the customs officer twigs it.

You also need to apply for a Visa prior to leaving and the airline wont let you board unless all parties have visas.

• Advertisement

who wants to put their kid at risk of a detention centre and being deported.

o.k im trying to understand the way it works.my child would not be coming with me. i would go over first for 3 to 6 months then my partner would come over on a holiday is this a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Would your partner(and presumably child) be simply visiting for a week or two or would they be staying longterm? If the latter, you'd be breaking the law. If your set on moving there, do it legally or don't do it at all, it's not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

o.k im trying to understand the way it works.my child would not be coming with me. i would go over first for 3 to 6 months then my partner would come over on a holiday is this a problem?

When applying for a WHV you must declare if you have a child.

They probably won't permit you a visa if you have a dependent child.

If they did, I don't imagine they would subsequently permit the child and its travelling companion a holiday visa.

IMMI are not dumb, they are capable of putting 2 and 2 together.

guttenberg wrote: »
    Would your partner(and presumably child) be simply visiting for a week or two or would they be staying longterm? If the latter, you'd be breaking the law. If your set on moving there, do it legally or don't do it at all, it's not worth the hassle.
    they would be there for 3 months on the holiday visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

they would be there for 3 months on the holiday visa.
    then you must be vary careful with your application as the rules state that .

"You must:".............
    not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay in Australia
    Note: A dependent child is the child, or step-child, of you or your partner who:
    - is not married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship
    - has not turned 18.
    If you would like a dependent child to join you in Australia you must apply for a different visa such as a Tourist visa. If you have dependent children who will not accompany you at any time you must apply for a Working Holiday visa using the paper application. You are not able to apply online.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-first.htm

Did you read the website?
    If you would like a dependent child to join you in Australia you must apply for a different visa such as a Tourist visa.

If you have dependent children who will not accompany you at any time you must apply for a Working Holiday visa using the paper application. You are not able to apply online.

See: Working Holiday visa applications – paper

Really its not much of a family holiday if you are swanning around for 6 months on your own and then your partner and child come for the last 3 months, you must have a very understanding partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mminor

What kind of work do you do?

My mate is a welder and he has a child and partner. He went over to Oz by himself on a WHV and got sponsored. He got his gf and child put on the visa too. Took about 6 months. They are over there now and life is good.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Im new to this so sorry if i offend any1.im thinking of going to aus in a few months,i have a partner and a child, i dont have a visa yet.i have done alot of research and it seems you cannot bring a child on a working holiday visa.can someone please give advice or know someone who has gone over with a child.Please Help

How much research did you actually do? Do you have qualifications? Australia has a skills shortage not a labour shortage...there is a difference. Without qualifications you may end up coming here, struggling to find work and put your family in a more desperate situation than you already seem to be in.

In fairness to the Op asking the question here could be the start of his research.

Sadly OP sometimes your personal circumstances make your choices limited in Migration and other things.

If you are unskilled migration to Australia is very difficult despite what folklore in Ireland can lead you to believe. If you are skilled and are in the position that you have to go now. Well as mentioned above coming over on a WHV by yourself , finding a job willing to sponsor you and then arranging for your family to join you could be an option.

However its hoping a lot of things fall into place for you in a small space of time.

Also consider your partners quality of life for the first few months here in a strange country with no family support and no friends at first.

If you think you are being left behind while all your mates are going to oz, wait a year and you will see a out of them again.

aido79 wrote: »
    How much research did you actually do? Do you have qualifications? Australia has a skills shortage not a labour shortage...there is a difference. Without qualifications you may end up coming here, struggling to find work and put your family in a more desperate situation than you already seem to be in.
    i ave put in alot of research about this.there must be a loop hole somewhere in the system i personally know a few couples who have done this but was a while back now..i dont have any qualifications unfortunately.i see where you are coming from but to be honest we have to get out of here.

Zambia wrote: »
    In fairness to the Op asking the question here could be the start of his research.

Sadly OP sometimes your personal circumstances make your choices limited in Migration and other things.

If you are unskilled migration to Australia is very difficult despite what folklore in Ireland can lead you to believe. If you are skilled and are in the position that you have to go now. Well as mentioned above coming over on a WHV by yourself , finding a job willing to sponsor you and then arranging for your family to join you could be an option.

However its hoping a lot of things fall into place for you in a small space of time.

Also consider your partners quality of life for the first few months here in a strange country with no family support and no friends at first.

If you think you are being left behind while all your mates are going to oz, wait a year and you will see a out of them again.
    i am unskilled but am very willing to work at whatever.it has nothing to do with mates and things as i wouldnt hear from them as soon as they go.it is about making money and a better life for my family.i see your point it would be very hard with no family support and friends,would be all worth it if it worked out.they are really clamping down on sponsorship now which isnt good for our circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Can I ask why Oz OP? have you considered/looked into somewhere like America/Canada to see if the VISA situation is easier for someone in your circumstances? failiing that, what about England or somewhere closer to home?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Batgurl wrote: »
    When applying for a WHV you must declare if you have a child.

They probably won't permit you a visa if you have a dependent child.

If they did, I don't imagine they would subsequently permit the child and its travelling companion a holiday visa.

IMMI are not dumb, they are capable of putting 2 and 2 together.

Hi OP,

If you have a child, you can apply for a WHV. The child cannot accompany you though. The process takes a few weeks as it is a paper application but as everyone has advised, if your partner and child are planning to join you for a holiday, just be careful here. they should have their holiday planned out and evidence that they can support themselves while there on holiday.

Going out on the WHV will allow you to work with employers and maybe secure a sponsorship visa. Your partner and child can be included on that application. You may then be eligible for PR further down the line.

You said that you are unskilled but what about your partner - is your partner working? Do s/he have a qualification?

Regards,
    Declan Clune

Hi OP,

If you have a child, you can apply for a WHV. The child cannot accompany you though. The process takes a few weeks as it is a paper application but as everyone has advised, if your partner and child are planning to join you for a holiday, just be careful here. they should have their holiday planned out and evidence that they can support themselves while there on holiday.

Going out on the WHV will allow you to work with employers and maybe secure a sponsorship visa. Your partner and child can be included on that application. You may then be eligible for PR further down the line.

You said that you are unskilled but what about your partner - is your partner working? Do s/he have a qualification?

Regards,
    Declan Clune
    Yeah i think thats what we are going to do.i hope it will all work out.With a bit of luck.Im currently doing a fas course and my girlfriend isnt working at the moment.Sadly we are both unskilled which we both regret very much,This is also an option of getting qualifications.I have a provisional bus and truck licenses,which i will have by the time I go over,which will open a few more doors.Cheers for the advice Declan Clune.

• Advertisement

Can I ask why Oz OP? have you considered/looked into somewhere like America/Canada to see if the VISA situation is easier for someone in your circumstances? failiing that, what about England or somewhere closer to home?
    very true.I have looked into Canada also and it seems that you can go on a working holiday visa with a family but i think you cant apply anymore as places have been filled for this year.England is an option I havent thought much about but will consider more.Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mminor

Provisional licences no good to u in oz mate. I had a rigid truck licence and they wouldn't accept it in WA. Had to do my test again over there. Its gonna be very hard to get sponsored with no trade or qualification to b honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

While you can switch an irish car driving license for an Oz one you can't do it for a truck license, you've got to do the test. There was a thread on this before and the cost was very high. I have a 360 excavator ticket and I looked into getting an OZy one and it just wasn't worth it.

Seriously you'd be better off getting your truck license in Ireland and driving in the UK, less of an upheaval for you and your family. THe money situation can change here in OZ, the slow down in mining will affect the whole of Australia and six months from now and you'd be no better off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

mminor wrote: »
    Its gonna be very hard pretty much impossible after July to get sponsored with no trade or qualification to b honest.

You need to think this through again. You're going to end up blowing a fortune on flights and all the rest and you'll end up worse off for it. The best advice you'll get is to keep the money you have and use it to set up in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I do wonder whats the scramble to get to the other end of the world when there are indeed heaps of jobs nearer to home.

The german job office has as of this minute 710,795 open positions and I can safely say 1000s of these positions are for truck drivers in various parts of the country.
    http://jobboerse.arbeitsagentur.de/vamJB/startseite.html?m=1&aa=1
    No visa needed, not even a work permit. Ryanair flight to and from Ireland. The lingo would be something to consider, but as a native english speaker you can function reasonably well especially when compared to many east europeans who havent english let alone german.

With a child no matter where you go will be difficult, but at least in Germany theres a requirement by law coming in in a few months that the local council must provide childcare places so in that sense you couldnt arrive at a better time.
    If you get lucky it'd be decently subsidised (as an EU citizen you must be treated the same as the locals) i.e. our childcare works out at just over €700 per child a month for 3 days a week but we only pay €170 a month for it.

Theres plenty of negatives too but as an option that isnt a 24hour €1500 odd flight per person away, there's worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I think the truck driving idea is being over simplified here, it can cost a few thousand euro to get to a full licence,
    Then to go to Germany with no experience to try get a job would be a bit optimistic, plenty of cheap Eastern Europeans to hire instead,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

bladebrew wrote: »
    I think the truck driving idea is being over simplified here, it can cost a few thousand euro to get to a full licence,
    Then to go to Germany with no experience to try get a job would be a bit optimistic, plenty of cheap Eastern Europeans to hire instead,
    Wasn't it only a few weeks ago that there uproar in the dail over a guy in donegal being offered a bus driving gig in Malta! I would have jumped on that offer!

Advertisement