Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Carragher joins Sky Sports

• 30-04-2013 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/20876/8680593/Jamie-Carragher-joins-Sky-Sports-for-2013-14-season
    Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher will join the Sky Sports punditry team for the 2013/14 season.

The 35-year-old, who will retire from playing at the end of the current campaign, will work alongside the likes of Gary Neville, Graeme Souness, Jamie Redknapp and Alan Smith next term when Sky Sports brings you over 500 matches from the domestic, European and International games.

Carragher has spent his entire career at Liverpool, racking up over 730 appearances and winning the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Cup, two UEFA Super Cups, two FA Cups and three League Cups.

And the Bootle-born star who, after Ryan Giggs is just the second player to play over 500 Premier League games for one club, says he can't wait to begin his new role.

"I watch Sky Sports all the time and I'm a huge fan. I can't wait to be part of their coverage and work with the best in the business," said Carragher, who will make his bow in August.

"What Sky has done for football for over 20 years is incredible and I'm thrilled to be part of their exciting plans for next season.

"I don't think there could be a better move for me: to retire from one of the world's best football clubs at the end of the season and then join one of the world's best broadcasters.

"Until that time comes, I'll remain fully focussed on my remaining playing career with Liverpool and I'm looking forward to ending the season with good results."

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, added: "Jamie has everything you want in an expert analyst; opinions, experience and incredible knowledge.

"He's hugely respected throughout the game and I know his immense insight on today's players, teams and tactics will make our football coverage even better.

"He joins us fresh from the changing room of one of the world's biggest clubs and will be part of our incredible line-up of football experts, who between them boast 25 League titles, 10 European trophies and over 700 international caps."
    Will be interesting to see how he fares as a pundit. I don't know how we'll be able to understand him, but whatever...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hopefully it will come with Subtitles....

I'm all for anything that might mean Jamie Redknapp gets less air time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Sacramento wrote: »

Yea, but at what cost man. You have to draw the line somewhere.
    That voice :eek: Noooooooo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Going to be painful on the ears anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm patenting the term "Carraghasm" now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I'm patenting the term "Carraghasm" now.

Sure whatever turns you on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

In their article SSN have a link to a video of him discussing Roy/Kenny a year or so ago. He actually comes across with a lot more clarity than you would normally associate with Jamie, so maybe he might surprise a few people in that regard.

Certainly his post match interviews can be quite hard for people to understand if their not used to him though :D

Personally, I'm actually looking forward to see if he can follow on the good work and trend that Neville has started, rather than go down a Jamie Redknapp route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It might be better than hearing "Top, top player" the whole time.

Maybe.

By the end of September I guarantee we'll see some retarded argument along the lines of "Carragher is a better pundit than Neville". "No he isn't" "Yes he is".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what is the obsession that TV companies have with getting former Liverpool players as "pundits", especially seen as most of them are pretty bland and uninspiring.

RTE have Didi, Souness, Ronnie and Ray for example, BBC have Hansen and Lawro, the Arabic lads have Mcmanaman, Mcmahon and then the likes of Mcateer and Barnes make regular appearances also.
    Sacramento wrote: »

to be honest, Jamie is much more bearable than Barnes and the other plebs like Mcmahon and Mcnanaman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Carragher, Redknapp, Souness, Hamann, Whelan. How many more ex-Liverpool players are gonna crammed into my TV screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hansen, as far as I can remember, used to be quite good, or at least better, a good few years back. He's gotten incredibly lazy in his analysis though.

Probably been infected by Mark Lawrenson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Looking forward to seeing him next season. He could be good.

I wonder where Quinn is? Has anyone seen him lately?

Knex. wrote: »
    Hansen, as far as I can remember, used to be quite good, or at least better, a good few years back. He's gotten incredibly lazy in his analysis though.

Probably been infected by Mark Lawrenson.
    Back when he said you can't win stuff with kids? He's always been a hack.
    inmyday wrote: »

Be careful what you wish for ffs.

Looking forward to seeing him next season. He could be good.

Yea, he's never off my telly.
    "Can you see the sky?"
    F**k off Niall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Apparently he watches bucket loads of football outside of playing time, I'd say he will be quite good. Anything beats tight pants Jamie.

Calcutta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Neville and Carragher. When the two most irritating voices in punditry collide.

That_Guy wrote: »

I don't think they will be covering Championship games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If next season anybody starts a whos better Neville or Carragher thread I'll ban them.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I don't think they will be covering Championship games

OMG, loike you're soooo funny. lolz

That_Guy wrote: »

1367314692.0114.iPicit.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think he will do well. I'd rather someone with a dodgy accent with something to say than a Redknapp, a Southgate or a Lawrenson

I hope he has a run in with Andy Burton on his first day. :pac:

CSF wrote: »
    I think he will do well. I'd rather someone with a dodgy accent with something to say than a Redknapp, a Southgate or a Lawrenson

Lawrenson hits you with both barrels. His accent is awful. It's even gone a bit camp over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Carrie will have to spend 3 months at a Speech & Language school:D:D:D
    But then I find Phil Thompson fine. Very excitable at times but still can be clearly understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Lawrenson hits you with both barrels. His accent is awful. It's even gone a bit camp over the years.

Lawro comes across someone who hates football with a passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Im thinking Sky are just gonna milk the Utd vs Liverpool thing with Neville and Carragher

yawn

LOL @ paying for sky sports

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

carragher will be excellent not afraid to voice an opinion or to offend people in otherwords he will say it as it is. He did it as a player 1 The interview with andy burton 2 Ringing up the radio station over his england retirement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

To be fair, how many European cup medals do the current ex-Liverpool pundits have between them? Perfect for commenting on PL and CL.

I think Carragher will be good. There'll be no bull**** about him he'll say it as it is. I dont think his voice/mannerisms are any more annoying than most of the pundits out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I hate the Scouse accent so not looking forward to it!

i do reckon he will be good though, as long as he goes in to it with Nevilles attitude and speaks his mind.

He seems a fairly savy bloke so Im sure it wont take much effort on his part to elevate most of the dross they have there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

His run with ITV for the euros has shown he's gonna be a great pundit.

KingJamsie wrote: »
    His run with ITV for the euros has shown he's gonna be a great pundit.

It's not that hard to look good on ITV in fairness. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Fair played to him, he's not one to mince his words so he should do a good job. As for an irritating accent. Im afraid nobody beats Alan Smith on that front.

Although i think this is a move in the right direction for sky i think its gas that they have the token Scouse, Manc, Brummy, Scot and Cockney. Expect their next big appointment to be a black bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Fair played to him, he's not one to mince his words so he should do a good job. As for an irritating accent. Im afraid nobody beats Alan Smith on that front.

Although i think this is a move in the right direction for sky i think its gas that they have the token Scouse, Manc, Brummy, Scot and Cockney. Expect their next big appointment to be a black bloke.

What like Chris Kamara?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

carragher will be excellent not afraid to voice an opinion or to offend people in otherwords he will say it as it is. He did it as a player 1 The interview with andy burton 2 Ringing up the radio station over his england retirement

Maybe he could start by asking Graeme souness why, while manager of Newcastle, he was still being paid through an ebt by a former club he had left ten years previously. Interestingly, it was around that time that he signed boumsong for £8m from said club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I've never had Sky and no intentions to get it either. Tbh, no matter what Sky do they will never top James Richardson on Football Italia for light hearted 'analysis', "in the words of Barry Venison to his hairdresser, thats enough highlights for now". Joined at HT by the likes of Ardal 0'Hanlon and Elvis Costello etc. Sky just never competed for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What were the Wolves comments Carra referred to again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

This is a good move from Sky. It's about time they hired someone who has played game recently than the one who did in 90s and before that.

Neville did a great job and Carragher looks like someone who speaks his mind out, exactly what is needed rather that spouting half arsed cliches. Hopefully it won't turn out into ManUtd Vs Liverpool discussion everytime.

noodler wrote: »
    What were the Wolves comments Carra referred to again?

That was the whole Sian Massey affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    This is a good move from Sky. It's about time they hired someone who has played game recently than the one who did in 90s and before that.

Neville did a great job and Carragher looks like someone who speaks his mind out, exactly what is needed rather that spouting half arsed cliches. Hopefully it won't turn out into ManUtd Vs Liverpool discussion everytime.

Would never happen, we all know at this stage that Neville is by far the best pundit in the business at the minute and is not in any way biased towards United so don't see that changing just because Carragher is joining the team. If Carragher is anywhere near as intelligent as Neville it'll be grand lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Great appointment. He's someone who thinks about the game and clearly has a passion for it and the more people like him are analysing games on TV the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Guess the retirement is permanent, rumours suggesting that Liverpool were going to talk him out of retirement

I will say "no comment" :|

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I generally avoid the pundits, but I reckon he'd make a good contribution, once you get over the accent.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

He'll do a good job at Sky . Seems to be intelligent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

As long as we get some form of "impartial" third party for the Liverpool games I'll be happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Giggsy11 wrote: »

No. I think it's about time they hire someone who can string two coherent sentences together. Some of the foreign pundits they have had over the years have better English than Redknapp. Everyone bar Dwight Yorke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jax Teller wrote: »
    He'll do a good job at Sky . Seems to be intelligent enough.

Understanding a word he says will be the problem,not his knowledge of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

what is the obsession that TV companies have with getting former Liverpool players as "pundits", especially seen as most of them are pretty bland and uninspiring.

RTE have Didi, Souness, Ronnie and Ray for example, BBC have Hansen and Lawro, the Arabic lads have Mcmanaman, Mcmahon and then the likes of Mcateer and Barnes make regular appearances also.

to be honest, Jamie is much more bearable than Barnes and the other plebs like Mcmahon and Mcnanaman.

Always liked Hamann myself,
    Ronnie and Ray I'd try to avoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Carragher :pac:

His sole role will be analysing own goals in the Premier League I'd imagine?

• Advertisement
Advertisement