Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is DLRCOCO's problem with dogs?

Options
  • 30-04-2013 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

I've just seen the new signs at sandycove stating that no animals are allowed in the bathing area at any time.

Fair enough during certain times during the summer, but this is ridiculous. Is there a problem with dogs that I have missed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

People swim there year-round. I certainly wouldn't want to be swimming with your dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

enda1 wrote: »
    People swim there year-round. I certainly wouldn't want to be swimming with your dog.

I doubt she would like to swim with you either.

Is there a problem with dogs swimming there? If there is, I haven't seen it. I have seen lots of dogs swimming there, but never when the beach is busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kids play on the beach and don't want to play with Dog Crap.

unfortuantly some selfish dog owners have ruined it for everbody else

ted1 wrote: »
    kids play on the beach and don't want to play with Dog Crap.

unfortuantly some selfish dog owners have ruined it for everbody else

I agree, but wouldn't have considered it a problem there. It just seems like an extension of dlrcoco's draconian dog rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I doubt she would like to swim with you either.

Is there a problem with dogs swimming there? If there is, I haven't seen it. I have seen lots of dogs swimming there, but never when the beach is busy.

If you don't want to hear the truth you shouldn't ask the question.
    No need to bite or you may be muzzled :P

• Advertisement

I agree, but wouldn't have considered it a problem there. It just seems like an extension of dlrcoco's draconian dog rules.

it is a problem, I think there may be a problem with weils disaseas which is a problem for Dogs.

Dog owners are really beginign to annoy me.
    the latest craze seems to be that they pick up the dog ****, put it in plastic bag, then drop the bag beside a telegraph pole. do they not realise this is worse than just leaving it on the ground.

enda1 wrote: »
    If you don't want to hear the truth you shouldn't ask the question.
    No need to bite or you may be muzzled :P

Apologies, I didn't mean to be so ruff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I think there is a lot of scope for a dedicated dog-beach in Dublin. Keeps everybody happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

I agree, but wouldn't have considered it a problem there.

Dog sh1t is a big problem at Killiney beach, especially at the access points. It seems that some owners get Fido to clench their mutt butt until they hit the sand and then it's open season. I have chased after owners on the beach on 3 separate occasions who were conveniently 20 yards ahead of poor Fido as he was landing the brown trout. I think it's a minority of owners but it's a more significant minority than owners would like to admit to. We have also had a puppy being brought out for his morning constitutional by his 12 year old owner who for 2 months would have his daily on our front lawn while being "ignored" by the kid. I sh1t you not. We rigged up a webcam in the bedroom upstairs, caught the bollix, printed off some stills and posted them to the parents. End of problem.
    On the street outside our offices one of the walkers always deposits his plastic bagful in any wheely bin that happens to be out, black or green.

josip wrote: »
    Dog sh1t is a big problem at Killiney beach, especially at the access points. It seems that some owners get Fido to clench their mutt butt until they hit the sand and then it's open season. I have chased after owners on the beach on 3 separate occasions who were conveniently 20 yards ahead of poor Fido as he was landing the brown trout. I think it's a minority of owners but it's a more significant minority than owners would like to admit to. We have also had a puppy being brought out for his morning constitutional by his 12 year old owner who for 2 months would have his daily on our front lawn while being "ignored" by the kid. I sh1t you not. We rigged up a webcam in the bedroom upstairs, caught the bollix, printed off some stills and posted them to the parents. End of problem.
    On the street outside our offices one of the walkers always deposits his plastic bagful in any wheely bin that happens to be out, black or green.
    At least he puts the plastic bag in a bin. Most people drop it on the path.

• Advertisement

I know there's a problem with dog owners not cleaning up after their dog, it annoys the hell out of me as a dog owner. There seem to be a lot of dogs that are free to roam and mess where they like as well.

I've grabbed a stray dog before and reported it to the council only to be told that the dog warden was on holiday and that I would have to sort it out myself!

Sandycove beach doesn't seem to have a problem though and this rule seems to be overly draconian. The few dogs that you do see there are always well behaved and several (mine included) get in for a swim with their owners.

As far as I am concerned this is another nail in the coffin of an incompetent council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I work in sandymount, and I have to say I have never seen a worse area for dog poo constantly being all over the place. It's vile.

I have a dog myself but I always pick up after her. Incompetent and irresponsible dog owners are ruining it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I work in sandymount, and I have to say I have never seen a worse area for dog poo constantly being all over the place. It's vile.

I have a dog myself but I always pick up after her. Incompetent and irresponsible dog owners are ruining it for everyone.

So why do you 'like' this Fred? Your OP obviously disagrees with the need for the Councils to enforce against irresponsible dog owners, so which is to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Doesn't the tide wash away the offending poo? Or am I missing a point here somewhere? Isn't the sea full of fish poo for that matter? Or humans who wee in the water? Do people expect everywhere to be sanitised to within an inch of it's life nowadays? My mam always said a bit of dirt kept your immune system in good working order! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

FonE wrote: »
    Doesn't the tide wash away the offending poo? Or am I missing a point here somewhere? Isn't the sea full of fish poo for that matter? Or humans who wee in the water? Do people expect everywhere to be sanitised to within an inch of it's life nowadays? My mam always said a bit of dirt kept your immune system in good working order! :eek:

The tide only comes in and out every 12 hours 25 minutes. Any poo below the high water mark will remain there until the next high tide. The high tide doesn't come all the way up Killiney beach so any poo above this line will remain there for many days depending on the weather.

Are you serious with your post or are you wumming? Did your mother actively encourage you to play with dog sh1t to strengthen your immune system?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    So why do you 'like' this Fred? Your OP obviously disagrees with the need for the Councils to enforce against irresponsible dog owners, so which is to be?

Seriously?

Actually, the problem is that there is no enforcement. There are laws and heavy fines to stop people letting their dogs foul public places, but these are not enforced. Ever hear of anyone getting fined for not cleaning up after their dog despite all the signs?

The result is the council just ban dogs from public areas because it is easier to police.

I hate people who dont clean up after their dogs, but the council are doing this all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Seriously?

Actually, the problem is that there is no enforcement. There are laws and heavy fines to stop people letting their dogs foul public places, but these are not enforced. Ever hear of anyone getting fined for not cleaning up after their dog despite all the signs?

The result is the council just ban dogs from public areas because it is easier to police.

I hate people who dont clean up after their dogs, but the council are doing this all wrong.

Yes, at least 5 this year alone seen in Shanganagh Park Shankill by my brother who runs there. One dog warden seems to be in almost permanent residence there

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yes, at least 5 this year alone seen in Shanganagh Park Shankill by my brother who runs there. One dog warden seems to be in almost permanent residence there

You mean "the" dog warden.

Advertisement