Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camden Crawl 2013

Options
  • 30-04-2013 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any decent act tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Personally, I can't wait to see NO CEREMONY///.

Fantastic music, should be great. Give them a listen on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Personally, I can't wait to see NO CEREMONY///.

Fantastic music, should be great. Give them a listen on YouTube.

Yeah, like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Weekend tickets are buy 1, get 1 free until noon for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

If you haven't already caught Girl Band then make sure you do.

I know it seems silly to name a headliner when it's a festival for small Irish bands but if you've never seen them before & you want a wild, crazy and fun gig then be at the Black Lips headline slot on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 combatrock

Holy **** ,who were that band upstairs in whelans at the start of night? Gallop? They were really brilliant. Echo and the bunnymen doing velvet underground...priceless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Anyone got the timetable for this? I looked yesterday on their site and couldn't find any sign of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

@combatrock ... we kicked off the night upstairs in whelans - DOGS

dogstheband.com or https://soundcloud.com/dogstheband

EP out this July

cheers !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,870 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Highlights for me
    ============
    Little bear (terrific in the unitarian church....deserve to be huge!)
    Peter Delaney
    Echo and the bunnymen (Craicin atmosphere)
    Concrete knives (great fun...great cover too!)
    PVT

Lowlights
    =======
    Fight like apes on Saturday...why in gods name put them on in the globe?!?! they were also basically only band on at that time hence the MASSIVE queue.

I went to 4 dame lane at about 1245 for the DJ as per the timetable......the rude bouncers insisted we all had to pay a tenner to get in.........bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Lowlights:

-Arriving at whelans to collect my pass as instructed by website (and printed on tickets) to be told that I have to walk up to temple bar to collect it.

-Arriving at temple bar to be told that that I cant collect passes for other people. Smuggled out by assistant with my passes as if she was doing me a favour.

Walked into all three half empty gigs without being asked for said pass.

Highlights:

Burger afterwards.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Did anyone catch No Ceremony///

• Advertisement

shane1981 wrote: »
    Lowlights:

-Arriving at whelans to collect my pass as instructed by website (and printed on tickets) to be told that I have to walk up to temple bar to collect it.

-Arriving at temple bar to be told that that I cant collect passes for other people. Smuggled out by assistant with my passes as if she was doing me a favour.

Walked into all three half empty gigs without being asked for said pass.

Highlights:

Burger afterwards.

I collected tickets on Sat on whelans with no issues.

Not being able to collect wristbands for someone else is pretty normal....

I was asked everywhere bar 4 dame lane on 1 occasion...plus I found all the venues had decent attendance especially if a bit later on in the day.

Did anyone catch No Ceremony///

Yeah, i did. They were ok. There was about 100 people in Village, which has room for 500 I think, so very sparsely populated. The band looked irked by the lack of a crowd. Understandable really, as apparently they play to big crowds in UK. Their bangin' dance music just washed over the people there. No one was really bopping to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

next year I'd prefer it if there was more on earlier in the day. start at 2pm or something.
    it was a bit crap just having the various venue's own DJs playing in most places for midnight onwards too.
    basically everything was squeezed into 5 hours from 7pm-midnight.

if they knocked it from 14 venues down to about 8, and had music from the afternoon all day, i would probably have seen far more than i managed.
    thankfully i got my pass quite cheap, don't think i'd pay €40 next year unless there was a few international acts that i really wanted to see.

Yeah, i did. They were ok. There was about 100 people in Village, which has room for 500 I think, so very sparsely populated. The band looked irked by the lack of a crowd. Understandable really, as apparently they play to big crowds in UK. Their bangin' dance music just washed over the people there. No one was really bopping to it.
    that's not too bad, there was about 30 people there for Holy Other on Sat night, who were the 3rd highest name on the posters....

that's not too bad, there was about 30 people there for Holy Other on Sat night, who were the 3rd highest name on the posters....

Cringe!

Some serious lack of cop on demonstrated. For me, and from talking to others, the biggest "WTF?" element was the price. Not only the daily and weekend passes that were astronomical, but the fact that there was no one-venue passes for more casual goers.

The event has a headline corporate sponsor too, so how did that not bring the price down?

Aside from attempted profit, the money (from sponsorship and forecasted ticket sales) must have been spent on the UK acts coming over. The second WTF? is, who the hell booked these? A few niche fans were into some of the acts, but there was nowhere near enough pull at the top of the bill to draw in people at those prices (possibly at any price). Just because those bands are hip in London doesn't mean anyone gives a sh*t over here.

There were a few people I was talking to that were keen to see some of the irish bands, but not for €35 for a night pass they weren't!

I cant really comment RE the price....I got my weekend tickets on the daily release thing so I paid errr 9 euro for each of them.

I know tickets last year were 25 euro for a day or 40 euro for the weekend.
    I suppose the good thing for me this year was going to venues I hadnt been too (unitarian church) and seeing some great bands I knew nothing about (little bear).
    I actually felt the lineup this year was a lot better...the only band I saw last year that have gone onto big things really are bastille.

Charging 35 euro for a day pass is ridiculous, single passes to gigs would have been a good idea.....but would that not just mean people trying to pay into echo and bunnymen a gig which was already heaving to the rafters?

jeez, didn't realise they were €55 for the weekend :eek: thought they were €40!
    same as gmisk, i got mine for €9 each.
    definitely wouldn't pay €55 next year for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Damiennash

35 yoyos for a night of music with various bands is more than reas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Not when most of the bands wouldn't charge more than a fiver in to their own gig.

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Not when most of the bands wouldn't charge more than a fiver in to their own gig.
    Really?

I am not sure many gigs are a fiver anymore.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Really?

I am not sure many gigs are a fiver anymore.

You obviously don't go to many gigs so. Go up to Whelans upstairs venue most nights, Thomas House basement, The Pint, Sweeney's etc There's loads of small gigs every week. Where do you think most of that line-up normally play?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Damiennash

Mr Whirly wrote: »

I disagree, there were about 20 different bands playing across the venues on each night, you could probably hit 6/7 of them so youre paying about 5 per band. Venues have to paid, organisers and most importantly the musicians which i reckon only a few actually got some cash for it. It will be interesting to see if they can pull in some bigger names next year.

I do go to lots of gigs (one a month on average) but they tend to be people I have heard of, mostly non irish acts that have released albums etc.

Im not saying some of the acts werent small they were.....I also think 35 for a day ticket with the lineup they had is a joke...but as I also said I got my weekend ticket for 9 euro.

Damiennash wrote: »
    I disagree, there were about 20 different bands playing across the venues on each night, you could probably hit 6/7 of them so youre paying about 5 per band. Venues have to paid, organisers and most importantly the musicians which i reckon only a few actually got some cash for it. It will be interesting to see if they can pull in some bigger names next year.

A 5 euro gig could have 3 of them bands normally. There's no draw to make people pay those prices unless you want to see the headliner.

They were selling early bird tickets for 9 euro! 30 quid weekend tickets might encourage more people to attend. The proof is in the pudding when you look at how few people went.

gmisk wrote: »
    I do go to lots of gigs (one a month on average) but they tend to be people I have heard of, mostly non irish acts that have released albums etc.

Im not saying some of the acts werent small they were.....I also think 35 for a day ticket with the lineup they had is a joke...but as I also said I got my weekend ticket for 9 euro.

Good for you. You can also go see lots of great touring bands for a tenner most weeks. It'd want to be a pretty good gig for me to pay more than 20 quid for a ticket.

Damiennash wrote: »
    be doing very well to get in 6/7.

we got in 4 on Saturday, and that was including Bantum in the Workmans which was one of only 2 acts on at that time (not including the general "DJs" that most venues had.)
    it wasn't until 8pm on Sat that most venues got going, and there were only 2 acts on after midnight, several venues finishing up well before that.

Sunday was much the same, some venues not having acts on until 8 or 9, and all except one finished by 12:15.

the vast majority of the lineup plays several Irish festival dates, or regularly in cities, and as support acts.

there were many that I'd have loved to see, but the fact that they were pretty much all crammed into 4/5 hours in far too many venues meant that i didn't get to see much at all.

€35 for 2/3 Irish acts i can see for free regularly in Dublin or at festivals, and a small act over from the UK isn't value for me.

Advertisement