Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Induction hob & stove top pots

• 30-04-2013 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got myself a new stainless steel stove top from Coffee Angel the other day to replace my old Bialetti one which doesn't work with the induction element.

Here's the weird thing - 75% of the time the induction hob fails to 'ignite' or recognise the pot and refuses to heat up. It's really annoying. I've tried everything - hot water, cold water, making sure the bottom of the pot is bone dry, etc . . . but it's still a bit of a gamble as to whether I get a coffee in 2 minutes or 10 (after a couple of attempts).

The hob doesn't have issues with any other pots or pans that we use - it 'lights up' first time or else just refuses entirely with non-stainless steel pots. This one is weird because it does it some times, and those times nothing has changed since it last refused.

Has anyone else had this sort of issue with stove top moka pots?

z

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Are you sure it's stainless steel?

Many pots have aluminium bases and various composites used.

To test a pot for compatibility just use a magnet. It should stick to all parts of the base of the pot.

Induction works best with fairly heavy bottomed stainless steel or cast iron pots.

Some cheaper pots claim to be suitable but often just have coils / rings of magnetisable material in the bottom and that often leads to uneven heating and very bad cooking results. We'd one pan that would heat in spots and just burn everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I'll try to dig out a magnet and check the pot. It was sold as stainless steel & as suitable for induction hobs (per the packaging) so I reckon it is, but the magnet test should clear that one up.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

zagmund wrote: »
    I'll try to dig out a magnet and check the pot. It was sold as stainless steel & as suitable for induction hobs (per the packaging) so I reckon it is, but the magnet test should clear that one up.

z

P. S. They had those inductor adapter plates in tkmaxx carrickmines at the weekend. €10 if memory serves me right.

Advertisement