Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar O'Connell Street - €1.55 crisps

• 30-04-2013 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Crisps have become expensive in all shops in recent years often breaking the €1 mark. Corn based crisps which were 20c 5 years ago are now 80c.

But this is the biggest rip-off I've come across yet - €1.55 for a regular bag of McCoys crisps in Spar on O'Connell street. I didn't buy them needless to say.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

They're just trying to save your health. Next will be fizzy drinks and chocolate bars. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

McCoys are generally £1 - £1.19 in small stores in the UK and 75p - 99p in supermarkets, so 1.55 is about on par for a convenience store. Not cheap, but not out of the ordinary.

Gram for gram its about the same price as a 34.5g bag of Walker crisps for 95c.

btw - expect many potato products to rise in price this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

sandin wrote: »
    McCoys are generally £1 - £1.19 in small stores in the UK and 75p - 99p in supermarkets, so 1.55 is about on par for a convenience store. Not cheap, but not out of the ordinary.

For Dublin it is. In other convenience shops in the city center the same product is between €1 and €1.20 - so the Spar in question is selling them for 25-50% more than other similar shops in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

95c for a packet of Walkers?? :confused:
    I've never paid that much - usually around 65-80c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

btw - expect many potato products to rise in price this year.

Sadly, we can expect everything to increase sharply this year. The bad weather, droughts, floods, lenghty cold snap... From corn to potato to wheat, everything will be dearer as a result :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Sadly, we can expect everything to increase sharply this year. The bad weather, droughts, floods, lenghty cold snap... From corn to potato to wheat, everything will be dearer as a result :(

But will the price increase be relative to the cost increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Paid 3 Euro for a small breakfast roll in Eurospar and it was mank!

What was in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Paid 3 Euro for a small breakfast roll in Eurospar and it was mank!

Breakfast rolls are 4.55 in the spar next to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd like to know what constitutes a small breakfast roll, and €3 doesnt sound like alot, sure back in the late 90s I was paying £3.50-£4 (€6-€7 in todays terms) for a bigish one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 lomtick

Anyone else think the price of individual bags of crisps and bars in shops like spar, londis, mace etc. are totally unreasonable nowadays and have risen at a rate much higher than inflation of other items? Around 2003 a bar like a mars bar was typically 60 cent and a bag of walkers/tayto about 50 cent. Now you would pay something like 90 cents or 1 euro for the bar and similar for the crisps, if not higher. I haven't bought an individual bag of crisps in a shop in 3 or 4 years because they always just seem too expensive!

The rate of inflation hasn't been more than about 10 percent in that time, certainly less than 20 percent. If it *was* 20 percent, then a mars bar should only be 72 cent and a bag of crisps 60 cent!

• Advertisement
Advertisement