Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can she have a dog

• 30-04-2013 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

A friend of mne is disabled and cannot take a dog for a walk. But she would like one for a bit of security and because someone nearby said there are rats around.She has a garden 90 square meters. Is there anyway a dog could get enough exercise if left there free? if so what breed?

She would not be cruel to an animal and would not have one if it was not for the animals best. I do not know about dogs at all. and she does not have a computer so I thought i would ask

aAso can a dog be trained to poop in one spot in the garden

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If your friend is looking for a dog but is unable to bring the dog for a walk would you or another friend be in a position to bring the dog? If no then I think it would be unfair on the dog. Running around the back garden is not enough exercise and is only likely to result in a frustrated dog, who more than likely will be barking in the back garden annoying your friends neighbours. A cat maybe more suitable if she is concerned about rats and would take less looking after. But cats too come with responsibility and ensuring that they are neutered or spayed. If the cat is to be outdoor try and ensure rear garden is escape free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Can she afford a dog walker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭frash

You could get advice here

http://www.dogsfordisabled.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If she wants it to keep rats away why not go with two rescue cats (two to keep them playing with each other rather then having to provide entertainment to one cat)? They would do the job as well if not better and the space you've listed would be more then enough for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Unless she could employ a dog walker or has a friend that would commit to walking the dog then no its not fair on the dog. Dogs dont really exercise themselves in a garden, mine dont anyway. They go out there for the toilet but have no interest being there without us.

Two cats could be a good solution, there are loads of rescue cats available and some have bonded pairs ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Think that 2 cats is an excellent alternative. Company for each other, good for the possible rat problem, and very good therapy/company for a disabled person.
    I dont think you could train a dog to poop in one place either :D
    (are horses the only domesticated animals that 'sort of' do this??)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If your friend is looking for a dog but is unable to bring the dog for a walk would you or another friend be in a position to bring the dog? If no then I think it would be unfair on the dog. Running around the back garden is not enough exercise and is only likely to result in a frustrated dog, who more than likely will be barking in the back garden annoying your friends neighbours. A cat maybe more suitable if she is concerned about rats and would take less looking after. But cats too come with responsibility and ensuring that they are neutered or spayed. If the cat is to be outdoor try and ensure rear garden is escape free.
    that is why she does not want a cat. it is impossible to stop them getting out and crappingv on someone else's garde. She is very responsible and would not want that. I do not live near her so cannot walk dog. Thanks everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Would she not get a cat and keep them as an indoor pet only?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

LoveCoke wrote: »
    that is why she does not want a cat. it is impossible to stop them getting out and crappingv on someone else's garde. She is very responsible and would not want that. I do not live near her so cannot walk dog. Thanks everyone
    Actually it's quite easy to do with fencing and putting it leaning in at 45 degree angle but indoor cat only should do the trick as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

she could look into rescuing an older dog who wouldnt need so much exercise and would be happy to just potter about the garden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

she could look into rescuing an older dog who wouldnt need so much exercise and would be happy to just potter about the garden?

Absolutely, the rescue's are bursting with lovely older dogs who just want some cuddles, a garden to potter in and a warm, safe home.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

what sort of older dog would suit, i mean what breed. would the older dog poop in one place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

what sort of older dog would suit, i mean what breed. would the older dog poop in one place

Talk to your local rescue, tell them what you friend wants/needs and they will advise you from there. It's hard to say what breed exactly as dogs are individuals and don't necessarily follow the 'rules' of their breed if you know what I mean.

The rescue will be able to say ' we have this dog who would suit' because they will know the actual dog and your friend would be able to take the dog on trial to see if they suit each other.

Not sure it is possible to get a dog to poop in the same place all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

??

By disabled do you mean she's a wheelchair user? If so could she bring the dog for a walk with her in the wheelchair?

An older dog may have issues with incontinence in the house and deteriorate quite rapidly health wise on her. So I personally wouldn't recommend that. Though as others have mentioned, rescues could advice on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

It is possible to get a dog to poo in the one place but it does take a considerable amount of training and I guess your friend being able do that training will be dependant on what way she is disabled.

To get a dog to poo/wee in the one place will involve taking them out on lead to the chosen area of the garden. Some people will mark the area by putting tape/rope/string on the grass with tent pegs initially as a clear marker. You literally have to bring them out on lead to that area every single time they need to go out (hence asking how is she disabled, this frequency may not be possible depending). Praise them when they go to the loo there. Males may prefer a kind of peeing post so it could be helpful to bang in a wooden post or something for them to aim at. If they do go to somewhere else in the garden and poo then pick it up and put it in the designated area, and pour a biological washing powder dilution onto the area they pooed in to remove the scent. The theory is that they will prefer to go back to the same area as before that has their scent.

An older dog would be perfect, again depending on how she is disabled will depend on what size dog would be suitable. Do bear in mind though that all dogs no matter of their age will need to leave the house too. Like us they can suffer cabin fever so if your friend can't exercise them then maybe a small dog that could travel in a car with her sometimes that she's going out could be a good idea. Or a dog walker finances depending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

grey hounds need very little walking, and an older one that would be retired from racing might be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

aonb wrote: »
    Think that 2 cats is an excellent alternative. Company for each other, good for the possible rat problem, and very good therapy/company for a disabled person.
    I dont think you could train a dog to poop in one place either :D
    (are horses the only domesticated animals that 'sort of' do this??)

Oc you can.

My dog was trained to poo in one small part of garden by 9 months.

That way I know where it is and where to pick it up from rather than walk in it while looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Sounds like she'd suit a therapy dog; this would also mean that she'd have some help and oversight in her first days of dog-owning, which would be good for her, and good for her dog.

Maybe she and her helpers could contact Irish Therapy Dogs http://www.irishtherapydogs.ie and get her in line for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sounds like she'd suit a therapy dog; this would also mean that she'd have some help and oversight in her first days of dog-owning, which would be good for her, and good for her dog.

Maybe she and her helpers could contact Irish Therapy Dogs http://www.irishtherapydogs.ie and get her in line for this?

Irish Therapy Dogs visit with the dogs - they don't give dogs to people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ring Irish Therapy Dogs and ask about their programmes.

I'm not sure it's them, but there's certainly a group that provides dogs as therapy animals to carefully chosen disabled people. It requires training - both for the dog and for the human - and is an expensive programme; not everyone is chosen.

If it's not ITD, they can tell you who it is and how your friend can apply.

I'd be very cautious about just jumping in and saying oh, good, I can do my friend a favour by helping get a dog (rather than specifically going for the therapy dog programme). Having a pet is difficult enough for people without adding in disability; I'd hate to see a dog discarded because the difficulty proved too great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Has s/he tried rat poison & an alarm?

Seems a lot less cruel than leaving a dog in a tiny garden with no walk for the rest of its life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

can she afford dog food

it would be great company for her

Irish therapy dogs do not hand out dogs nor train them for permanent assistance dogs. They visit vulnerable people so that they can benefit from canine therapy. Google Sandra and Randolph Barker and see the research articles on their Centre for Human-Animal Bond website. Assistance dogs they are not unlike that from the guide dogs.

I believe the OP is looking for a pet dog for their friend, not an assistance animal.

Mods, as I am a member of the irish therapy dogs association, feel free to remove this post, though I felt I had to interject so that the job they do was understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

FoxyVixen wrote: »

Mods, as I am a member of the irish therapy dogs association, feel free to remove this post, though I felt I had to interject so that the job they do was understood.

That's fine FoxyVixen, you aren't promoting your association as such, just clarifying facts which is ok to do. ;)

Cheers anniehoo, can't be too careful, don't want to end up in Prison :)

Advertisement