Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Borussia Dortmund (ITV1 and TV3) KO: 7:45pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I think, your presence could have been the cutting edge. Cheers :cool:

:D

You not heading over to London, even without a ticket ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sergio Ramos has been getting Real Madrid knocked out of the Champions League consistently for years now. His first leg performance was enough to get them knocked out this year, his penalty miss got them knocked out the year before, the year before that he was completely humiliated by Messi.

Top defenders don't consistently flop on the big occasions for their clubs.

Ah now, what top defender doesn't end up being humiliated by Messi?:pac:
    Usually takes 3 on the guy to stave humiliation for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

What was with the Sahin - Mourinho embrace at the end? Any story behind it or just Mourinho being sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    :D

You not heading over to London, even without a ticket ?

Don't think so. I'm having the parents over for a visit at the same time, we will go out and watch the match in a pub, alongside the guy, I'm looking after in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

What was with the Sahin - Mourinho embrace at the end? Any story behind it or just Mourinho being sound?

Sahin is a madrid player on loan at his original club dortmund

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

klose wrote: »

Shame really. He was at the heart of that Dortmund team before his move. Then he couldn't get into the Madrid side, then he couldn't get into the Liverpool side, now he can't get into the Dortmund side. Probably on more money than his colleagues all the same.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

klose wrote: »

Ha I had completely forgotten that. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jose actually wanted to go on with the interview, he was ready to roll. This was his moment to be special again and Gabriel Clarke f**ked him off!

Clarke should have went with it. It was a career interview and he succumbed to the voices in his ear. Now the interviewer at Sky has the scoop. What an absolute disaster for ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Oat23 wrote: »
    Could have had 3, how many DID he score though? None, and was taken off.

Can't wait for tomorrows game thread and the sh*te you'll spout in that like last week. Maybe the negative tiki-taka will work better this time round?

How does that relate to Ramos or Hummels? That's simply a matter of there being a gulf in the quality of finishing between Higauin and Lewandowski (which I agree that there is)

We will see, while it is unlikely that Barcelona will go through tomorrow night I fully expect them to produce a performance which Barcelona fans can be proud of. Next season they will be back, this is the greatest club in the world, disappointment only spurs them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Boskowski wrote: »
    Shame really. He was at the heart of that Dortmund team before his move. Then he couldn't get into the Madrid side, then he couldn't get into the Liverpool side, now he can't get into the Dortmund side. Probably on more money than his colleagues all the same.

Ummm, hes cup tied no?

• Advertisement

Sergio Ramos has been getting Real Madrid knocked out of the Champions League consistently for years now. His first leg performance was enough to get them knocked out this year, his penalty miss got them knocked out the year before, the year before that he was completely humiliated by Messi.

Top defenders don't consistently flop on the big occasions for their clubs.

How was it all on him in the first leg? He played at right back.

He missed a penalty, anyone can miss a penalty.

That was Barcelona at their very peak, a near impossible task for any player and, tbf, he was hardly aided by wild eyed Pepe beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

miralize wrote: »
    Ummm, hes cup tied no?

On the bench, so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ummm, hes cup tied no?

He was with Liverpool from August - January and they were in the EL. He was on the bench tonight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ummm, hes cup tied no?

He hasn't been starting most Bundesliga games either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

ITV on the cusp of a great scoop and they cut him off...terrible programme directing, they could easily have kept it going and uploaded it to the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He hasn't been starting most Bundesliga games either.

Started off slowly on his return (as one would expect), but has started their last 6 Bundesliga games in a row.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Started off slowly on his return (as one would expect), but has started their last 6 Bundesliga games in a row.

They've been resting players to protect them for the Champions League since the league is over. It's like saying Thiago Alcantara is Barcelona's current starting midfielder because he has played so often in the league lately. Context is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They've been resting players to protect them for the Champions League since the league is over. It's like saying Thiago Alcantara is Barcelona's current starting midfielder because he has played so often in the league lately. Context is important.

He will be tomorrow:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oh of course, the starting lineup in the Champions League shows that he's not quite their first choice again yet. I was merely correcting the statement that he's not starting league games, because he is.

He can't be doing badly either though - Dortmund have a 100% win record with him starting in their last 6 games in the league.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Oh of course, the starting lineup in the Champions League shows that he's not quite their first choice again yet. I was merely correcting the statement that he's not starting league games, because he is.

He can't be doing badly either though - Dortmund have a 100% win record with him starting in their last 6 games in the league.

No that's grand. I was just making the point that at the moment he isn't first choice, which clearly you already know.

And yes, I've always rated him, he's just been a bit unlucky. Picked up an injury at Madrid, stuck behind Alonso and then played out of position at Liverpool under a manager he clearly doesn't like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sahin is quality, always has been. Surely thats not up for debate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Barça Dortmund final , hopefully Dortmund can beat them ...

A player of his quality simply has to make it back. The Madrid move just was not good for him at all, but then again can't really blame a player for seeking out what must have appeared to be the chance of a lifetime.

I thought he was Dortmunds best player back when he left. There was a reason Madrid wanted him. Cost him years in the end.

I wonder what Kagawa thinks watching that match tonight. Money makes the world go round I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

the_monkey wrote: »

Not a chance Barca turn over that Bayern side. Especially now with Busquets out.

Bayern will win again 2/3-0 IMO

A player of his quality simply has to make it back. The Madrid move just was not good for him at all, but then again can't really blame a player for seeking out what must have appeared to be the chance of a lifetime.

I thought he was Dortmunds best player back when he left. There was a reason Madrid wanted him. Cost him years in the end.

I wonder what Kagawa thinks watching that match tonight. Money makes the world go round I suppose

He's obviously going to be disappointed in the short-term and it could have been United there playing tonight if it wasn't for a dodgy decision. I'd worry about the long-term sustainability of being able to compete while selling your best players every season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not a chance Barca turn over that Bayern side. Especially now with Busquets out.

Bayern will win again 2/3-0 IMO

Alba and busquets gone and the young lad playing centre half again, think ill have a little dabble on a bayrn handicap stake

He's obviously going to be disappointed in the short-term and it could have been United there playing tonight if it wasn't for a dodgy decision. I'd worry about the long-term sustainability of being able to compete while selling your best players every season though.

I agree on the second part, don't think United are good enough to win in Europe at the moment though. Plus even if United were playing tonight it'd be unlikely that Kagawa would feature.

I wonder what Kagawa thinks watching that match tonight. Money makes the world go round I suppose.

I agree that he was Dortmunds best when he left, thought he was stupid to go to Madrid and still think it was a horrible move for him, which has obviously turned out to be the case.

You wonder what Kagawa was thinking? He was thinking "Damn this Premier League medal is soooo heavy! Can't wait to get some more!" :)

Im sure he is happy for his former teammates, but I wouldnt think he has regrets about his move, he has made a good start overall to life in England, should only get better next season, cracking player.

Why do you say money makes the world go round as if the other two only left for money actually? Madrid would be a bigger draw then Dortmund, and United would also certainly be a bigger draw to Asians imo.

When Kagawa signed for Dortmund was it because he loved the club or the chance to further his career and boost his earnings? He has a clear career path which will one day see him go to Spain I believe. Its not always money though, sometimes its because a club of greater stature etc gives them the chance to play for them.

Edit: It will become difficult for Dortmund to compete year after year while selling their best the way they are now, and Kagawa featured in the quarter final v Madrid, (started the away leg!) why would he not feature in the semis v a team he would have a great knowledge of?

I agree on the second part, don't think United are good enough to win in Europe at the moment though.

Neither do I. I don't think United would have beaten Bayern, Dortmund or Barca. But we were reasonably comfortable against Real Madrid up to the sending off.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    I agree that he was Dortmunds best when he left, thought he was stupid to go to Madrid and still think it was a horrible move for him, which has obviously turned out to be the case.

You wonder what Kagawa was thinking? He was thinking "Damn this Premier League medal is soooo heavy! Can't wait to get some more!" :)

Im sure he is happy for his former teammates, but I wouldnt think he has regrets about his move, he has made a good start overall to life in England, should only get better next season, cracking player.

Why do you say money makes the world go round as if the other two only left for money actually? Madrid would be a bigger draw then Dortmund, and United would also certainly be a bigger draw to Asians imo.

When Kagawa signed for Dortmund was it because he loved the club or the chance to further his career and boost his earnings? He has a clear career path which will one day see him go to Spain I believe. Its not always money though, sometimes its because a club of greater stature etc gives them the chance to play for them.

Why I'm saying that is because ultimately its money isn't it? No doubt Real and United are bigger sides than Dortmund - fair enough - but Dortmund had secured Champions League football when they left, I guess wages for each player have at least doubled?

Well maybe its cos I so don't like United. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

the_monkey wrote: »

What drugs are you on? No way will Barca make it to the final.

I'll have whatever you're having, btw. Cheers...

Why I'm saying that is because ultimately its money isn't it? No doubt Real and United are bigger sides than Dortmund - fair enough - but Dortmund had secured Champions League football when they left, I guess wages for each player have at least doubled?

I hope we play you next year.

Also, this guy owes Ribery one:
    tumblr_miop5q7a4b1qcs3bmo1_500.jpg

I don't like them but that doesn't mean I don't respect them and I really enjoy the Bayern rivalry. Looking forward to it, too, although United want to spice up their armoury a bit to make it a match.

Dunno, I guess it is to a point, but some people have goals they want to achieve too, like Ronaldo, he wants to play for his boyhood team, he is doing that, he has won everything in England and Spain, he also wants to be a success in Italy before he retires so he can always go down as one of the greats

Dortmund are no more noble then United when it comes to money is all I was saying, I didnt like the implication was all. Im sure his wages doubled at least when he moved to Dortmund in the first place for example!

Its a job, its a career and a short one at that so ultimately I guess it does come down to money to a point, but if you have goals and work hard to achieve them, and have the talent to back that up, the money will come. So you dont have to jump as soon as someone waves a big cheque in front of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He's welcome to come to Milan and slot in beside De Jong and Montolivo :pac:

• Advertisement

How was it all on him in the first leg? He played at right back.

He missed a penalty, anyone can miss a penalty.

That was Barcelona at their very peak, a near impossible task for any player and, tbf, he was hardly aided by wild eyed Pepe beside him.

Because Reus and Gotze absolute steamrolled him down the wing and took the piss with the ease at which they got balls into the box from his side.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Because Reus and Gotze absolute steamrolled him down the wing and took the piss with the ease at which they got balls into the box from his side.

I don't think he's all that good as a right back and while I think he's a bit rough and claims of him being one of or the best centre back around are wildly exaggerated he still is a very good player. He's a bit like John Terry. Bit of an eejit but hardly kack and a great captain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

adox wrote: »
    I thought the match was really poor. The last ten minutes were exciting but the first eighty were full of misplaced passes, mis control, poor efforts on goal.

Ramos wasn't a lion tonight either. He was a thug who got away with it because of a weak ref.

Or, alternatively, the first 20 minutes were littered with high-tempo attacking and counter-attacking football with plenty of chances created. Then we had a masterclass from Dortmund in passing and team football. But since the last 10 minutes is all you can remember then fair enough for what you say!

I don't think he's all that good as a right back and while I think he's a bit rough and claims of him being one of or the best centre back around are wildly exaggerated he still is a very good player. He's a bit like John Terry. Bit of an eejit but hardly kack and a great captain.

He's a pretty shocking right back, he's a better centre back but he's often caught out of position because he thinks he can play further up the pitch and still cover at the back.

He's actually a very good footballer, he can pass the ball, he has good ball control, he's quick. He's also decent in the air and very strong.

The problem is, he's a fecking nutjob, he has shocking positional sense and he's just as likely to get sent off for something stupid as he is to make a game saving tackle.

Then we had a masterclass from Dortmund in passing and team football.

No, just no.

They sat deep and soaked the pressure well but they didn't provide a master class in anything except clearning their lines. The back 4 were very good, the 6 infront of them had a very "meh" game.

• Advertisement

He's a pretty shocking right back, he's a better centre back but he's often caught out of position because he thinks he can play further up the pitch and still cover at the back.

He's actually a very good footballer, he can pass the ball, he has good ball control, he's quick. He's also decent in the air and very strong.

The problem is, he's a fecking nutjob, he has shocking positional sense and he's just as likely to get sent off for something stupid as he is to make a game saving tackle.

A pretty shocking right back that just drifted into a starting role at Madrid and Spain (winning Euro 2008 as starting right back too)

Honestly, some of the things I spot are ridiculous.

No, just no.

They sat deep and soaked the pressure well but they didn't provide a master class in anything except clearning their lines. The back 4 were very good, the 6 infront of them had a very "meh" game.

I didn't see it quite like that.
    We saw the opening 20 minutes where Real were coming out all guns blazing, understandably. But Dortmund refused to sit deep. Then Dortmund began to gain control of the match and were really cool at times culminating in a phase sometime in the second half when they should have just finished the game off. The chances they didn't take in that phase were massive and their failure to bring it over the line then was almost criminal.
    It nearly cost them towards the end when their legs went and Real got a second wind.
    Don't forget they lost one their best players in midfield 13 minutes into the game due to injury.
    They weren't exactly masterclass today and made hard work of it in the end but they were very very good at times and proved worthy winners. Guendogan was actually excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Or, alternatively, the first 20 minutes were littered with high-tempo attacking and counter-attacking football with plenty of chances created. Then we had a masterclass from Dortmund in passing and team football. But since the last 10 minutes is all you can remember then fair enough for what you say!

Where did I say the last 10 minutes were all I could remember?

Disagree with my opinion, fine, but don't make **** up.

A pretty shocking right back that just drifted into a starting role at Madrid and Spain (winning Euro 2008 as starting right back too)

I agree with you although it must be said that this Spanish team takes (or used to take?) an awful lot of pressure off their back four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

On Dortmund taking control of the game. With all this talk of Dortmund missed chances, Real missed 2 almost sitters in Ozil and Higuain. Dortmund held Real well and broke good, but were never in control of the match, despite being deserved winners due to blunting Real for most of the game.

Corholio wrote: »
    On Dortmund taking control of the game. With all this talk of Dortmund missed chances, Real missed 2 almost sitters in Ozil and Higuain. Dortmund held Real well and broke good, but were never in control of the match, despite being deserved winners due to blunting Real for most of the game.

Right maybe I didn't phrase that right. They threatened to take control of the game. They didn't quite do that 'cos they failed to convert their sitters. But there was a distinct feeling around in the second half that Real isn't going to cut it this time and heads were beginning to drop. If Guendogan slips his chance in then its done.

I agree with you although it must be said that this Spanish team takes (or used to take?) an awful lot of pressure off their back four.

True but you could also argue that such an approach leads to more 1 vs 1 encounters than a deep block defender would encounter (perfect example of this being Euro 2012, Ramos excelled in these 1 vs 1's). Also as right back he had to show he could get forward effectively, which he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Dortmund had a bunch of great chances after great build-up play. People are forgetting that.

Lewandowski missed a sitter with buckets of space....he blazed it first time over the bar. Then he was put through 1v1 and blasted it against the crossbar. Gundogan has an easy chance from 6 yards that he hit Lopez with and finally Dortmund had a 2v1 with Reus completely free that broke down. Dortmund could have won that game 4-0 at a canter.

But they missed and lost theirs heads in the last ten and nearly blew it. That's football but people running down this Dortmund side are embarrassing themselves. They are there on merit, they are a great team and deserved to go through over two legs as the better team.

I didn't see it quite like that.
    We saw the opening 20 minutes where Real were coming out all guns blazing, understandably. But Dortmund refused to sit deep. Then Dortmund began to gain control of the match and were really cool at times culminating in a phase sometime in the second half when they should have just finished the game off. The chances they didn't take in that phase were massive and their failure to bring it over the line then was almost criminal.
    It nearly cost them towards the end when their legs went and Real got a second wind.
    Don't forget they lost one their best players in midfield 13 minutes into the game due to injury.
    They weren't exactly masterclass today and made hard work of it in the end but they were very very good at times and proved worthy winners. Guendogan was actually excellent.

I'm talking about from about 30 minutes onwards, dortmund didn't really attack like they did last week, they were content to allow Madrid possession in the first 2 thirds, their midfield was essentially being bypasses for much of the game.

When they broke, they broke well and created chances, but they didn't have a foot in the midfield at all, for most of the game, in my opinion.

Real should have scored more goals, but Dortmund could have had 2 or 3 as well!

Spain's defence isn't exactly brimming with world class fullbacks, the fact that Alba got shifted from his natural position on the wing to left full to fill a problem position in the summer kinda proves that. They have a world class keeper, two decent centre backs and a world class front 6, but their fullbacks are, BY FAR, their weak point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement