Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Borussia Dortmund (ITV1 and TV3) KO: 7:45pm

1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Game was always going to be decided on how Dortmund dealt with the pressure, even 4-1 up. Real scored too late. Could've been a real thumping if Madrid scored early.

Great news though, Mourinho's haul from Spain is a League and possibly two Copa Del Reys after all his tactics and eye-gouging.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

^ Yeah sure he was only up against Barcelona, not a bad haul to be fair.

Winning the CL would have capped it but not to be. I remember last season RM played really negatively vs Bayern at home and they lost on penos. Bayern were there for the taking if Madrid had of went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Seaneh wrote: »
    Spain's defence isn't exactly brimming with world class fullbacks, the fact that Alba got shifted from his natural position on the wing to left full to fill a problem position in the summer kinda proves that. They have a world class keeper, two decent centre backs and a world class front 6, but their fullbacks are, BY FAR, their weak point.

That's the same left back who had a storming Euro 2012, produced as influential a display as I've seen a fullback produce in years in the final of that competition and is currently Barcelona's starting left back? Arbeloa (Real Madrid's starting right back), Azpilicueta (Chelsea's starting right back), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid's starting right back), Iraola (Athletic Bilbao's starting right back), Martin Montoya ( a very promising right back from La Masia). While it may not be as strong as their central midfield, it is still quite strong (I'd struggle to think of many countries which as many quality right back options)

Two world class centre backs.

In Alba and Arbeloa they have two hugely talented wing backs, in Alba in particular they have one of the finest left backs in the world right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

That's the same left back who had a storming Euro 2012, produced as influential a display as I've seen a fullback produce in years in the final of that competition and is currently Barcelona's starting left back? Arbeloa (Real Madrid's starting right back), Azpilicueta (Chelsea's starting right back), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid's starting right back), Iraola (Athletic Bilbao's starting right back), Martin Montoya ( a very promising right back from La Masia). While it may not be as strong as their central midfield, it is still quite strong (I'd struggle to think of many countries which as many quality right back options)

In Alba and Arbeloa they have two hugely talented wing backs, in Alba in particular they have one of the finest left backs in the world right now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

nuxxx wrote: »
    ^ Yeah sure he was only up against Barcelona, not a bad haul to be fair.

He was heavily considered to have been brought in to topple Barcelona with his winning ways and some considered he already had with winning the league. In the midst of time I wonder if that will alter. Whereas if he won this competition this year, there'd probably be a consensus the other way.
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Winning the CL would have capped it but not to be. I remember last season RM played really negatively vs Bayern at home and they lost on penos. Bayern were there for the taking if Madrid had of went for it.

They started like tonight, all guns firing, scored two early goals until Bayern got the away goal. A great first half from both sides then the game slowed down as the opening couldn't last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

dfx- wrote: »
    He was heavily considered to have been brought in to topple Barcelona with his winning ways and some considered he already had with winning the league. In the midst of time I wonder if that will alter. Whereas if he won this competition this year, there'd probably be a consensus the other way.

I agree, his impact isn't as big as the one he had at Chelsea or Inter but to be fair those acts are very hard to follow and winning the league from Barca when they were still in their "prime" should be acknowledged as a great achievement. I think as time went on players had fallings out with one another aswell as Mourinho himself so that may have played a massive part in there league failure this year

They started like tonight, all guns firing, scored two early goals until Bayern got the away goal. A great first half from both sides then the game slowed down as the opening couldn't last.

Can't remember the match that well, my only memory is thinking to myself from half time onwards that Madrid set out to get to ET and/or penalties. I might be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Don't understand how people still can't rate Ramos. He was incredible in the euros, an absolute rock at the back.

Somebody in here blamed him for Lewandowski's 4 goals. Mourinho dropped Pepe, not Ramos, figure that one out.

La Liga Breakthrough Player of the Year: 2005
    La Liga Best Defender: 2012
    ESM Team of the year: 2007–08, 2011–12
    FIFA/FIFPro World XI: 2008, 2011, 2012
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2008, 2012
    2010 FIFA World Cup: Castrol Index Winner[25]
    FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2010
    UEFA EURO 2012: Castrol EDGE Index Winner[26]
    UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament: 2012

Average defender obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

theres no denying ramos is a good player he can just be a bit of a mentaller at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sergio Ramos is a great player, and a fine CB.

he was not so last night.

if Webb hadn't been so weak, he'd have been off, and even so, Lewandowski should've still scored at least 2. he had Ramos' number.

he was no rock. he was a mental case who got away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

A bit? The guy is certifiable. 17 red cards in his career to date. Imagine when his pace goes! I reckon he could do 30 reds by the time.

And he looks like such a nice guy :)

That said, I think he is a class defender, and a pretty good leader as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I don't get how people don't rate Ramos. I think it all comes from Dunphy's quote about him being McShane on steroids.

The guy is a quality footballer and was Spain's best player at Euro 2012. His problem is that he's not the sharpest tool in the drawer, and sometimes he loses his head. He certainly could have been sent off last night, but players will play the referee.

Webb would be more lenient than most Champions League referees. Furthermore, he is still hated in Spain because of the World Cup final, so was probably going to do his best to avoid an incident to further upset the locals. I'm sure Mourinho knew this, and told his players they could push the boundaries a bit more. All it would have taken was Lewandowski to lash out in retaliation and suddenly their job gets a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

There is quite the difference in being a very good/quality defender and being the best cb in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Thought it was a good game last night myself, over the two legs Dortmund definitely deserved to go through but last nights game could have gone wither way. Even before the last ten minutes, both teams had lots of great chances to score, Ozil, Higuain and possibly one more player missed some great chances for Madrid early on, and then later in the game Gundogan and Lewandowski had chances they really should have scored. Overall I thought Dortmund had the better game last night, but had Real Madrid scored early on it could have been a memorable CL game. Interesting that RM lined up with Modric & Alonso in the middle, dropping Khedira. Last week Modric ended up playing a lot of the game very deep despite playing in the 'Ozil role', Alonso really had two poor games however, Dortmund just didn't allow him the space that he seems to get against other teams, disappointing display as anytime I've seen him this season he has been very good (bar against United).

Would love to see Dortmund go on and win it now but I think Bayern will know how to deal with them a bit better, hopefully Gotze and Bender will be available for the final.

Also really don't know how people don't think Ramos is a world class centre half, agree he can be a headless chicken at times but he is a very good footballer technically, gives his all in every game, very brave, strong, good in the air, quick and a good leader, would imagine he would start for any team in the world even despite his mentality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You named 5 right backs...

So I am right, left full IS a problem position for Spain?

Grand so, that's the end of that then.

Where has Alba played most of his career?

Where did he play almost exclusively for Valencia?

Why was he moved to left full for Spain?

Now, calm down and actually be objective for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Real need to bring in someone at the back who has a much cooler head about them. In Pepe, Ramos, Arbeloa and Coentrao they have some of the most rash defenders around, they make some of the stupidest tackles, both bringing pressure on themselves and also when pressure is relieved on opponents, this is speaking as someone who would be a Real fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I think with Varane and Ramos they are set in that department for a long time to come.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Two extremes in opinion on Ramos.

(1) He's average
    (2) He's world class

He has all the natural ability in the world much like his teammate Pepe at being truly world class but there is something missing. World class I'd class as top 1-3 / 1-5 in a certain position myself. What is missing? A brain. An ability to keep his emotions in check. Tis quite simplified but that's really the sum of it all, but imagine how good they would be if they didn't lack this. That's not to say he (or Pepe for that matter) hasn't put in world class performances. But to be putting in a sustained period of high level performances is something I just don't see all too much from either.

As for last night, the mind boggles as to how some gave him a 10 out of 10 (I'm looking at you whoscored.com!) considering the amount of undermining tactics that went unpunished and yet, the likes of Hummels was given a 7.75 or something along those lines. Considering how much the young and inexperienced Dortmund were under siege for fairly decent length spells last night, Hummels was magnificent and genuinely resembled the player he was before the semi final of the European Championship last summer against Italy.

Ramos took his goal very well, I'll give him that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ramos > > Pepe.
    The two don't even compare manner wise. Ability wise they might be closer. But seriously I'll take 10 Ramos' and fill my team with them than have one Pepe on it.
    Only thing Pepe is good at doing is pissing other players off and exploiting the weakness of referees to punish him. Ramos, at least, manages to get sent off. Plus most of Ramos' sending off are down to clumsiness (2 hand balls ffs!). Pepe's are down to behaving like an aggressive primitive animal. In fact, that Pepe doesn't get sent off as much as Ramos or at least get game bans shows just how much is wrong in the running of the sport.

Now Pepe or Suarez, there's one to twist your brain over. I don't think the former has being accused of racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Jernal wrote: »
    Ramos > > Pepe.
    The two don't even compare manner wise. Ability wise they might be closer. But seriously I'll take 10 Ramos' and fill my team with them than have one Pepe on it.
    Only thing Pepe is good at doing is pissing other players off and exploiting the weakness of referees to punish him. Ramos, at least, manages to get sent off. Plus most of Ramos' sending off are down to clumsiness (2 hand balls ffs!). Pepe's are down to behaving like an aggressive primitive animal. In fact, that Pepe doesn't get sent off as much as Ramos or at least get game bans shows just how much is wrong in the running of the sport.

Now Pepe or Suarez, there's one to twist your brain over. I don't think the former has being accused of racism.

This video of Pepe takes some beating imo

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I don't get the need to bring Suarez into a debate over Sergio Ramos and even Pepe, two players who play for Real Madrid in a thread based on a match between Real Madrid playing Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League Quarter Final. It's well, all a bit weird but yeah, whatever.

Anyway, yay for Dortmund. I'm out.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    There is quite the difference in being a very good/quality defender and being the best cb in the world.

Opinions differ. You think he isn't, I think he is and I think he has been for a couple of years. The only reason I took up this debate was because somebody suggested they were "speechless" at the suggestion that Ramos could be considered the best centre back in the world, something I find ridiculous, he more than warrants being considered among the best centre backs in the world.

Seaneh wrote: »
    You named 5 right backs...

So I am right, left full IS a problem position for Spain?

Grand so, that's the end of that then.

Where has Alba played most of his career?

Where did he play almost exclusively for Valencia?

Why was he moved to left full for Spain?

Now, calm down and actually be objective for once.

In the comment you said full back. So I noted 5 full backs.

Granted left back is the position which Spain don't quite have as much depth in as other countries. However it is far from a problem position. Jordi Alba has cemented himself as one of the finest left backs in the world, winning Euro 2012 with Spain from left back and is currently Barcelona's starting left back. Monreal is another high quality option at left back, had a terrific season at Malaga and is now at Arsenal. Jose Enrique is Liverpool's starting left back, and he doesn't even make it into the squad. Martin Montoya has also played quite a bit at left back this season. Hardly a problem position with those quality options available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

The big problem with Ramos is the stupidity he brings to his play . He is one of the finest players in his position when he doing his job properley and not attacking like a thug . If he eliminated this out of his game he would be a much better player because he probably wouldn't see another red card again . That would make him a much better player overnight because he would become a whole lot more reliable .
    On the subject of pepe he has got alot of talent but he seems to leave his brain in the dressing room and seems to think kicking the living crap out of someone is the only way to defend . If he eliminated this from his game Ramos and Pepe could be a truly awesome combination .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Really enjoyed that game last night, both teams going for it.

Would have been hard to see any English team living with either the way both were playing.

Advertisement