Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nook Touch Simple eReader - €40 [Via Littlewoods]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Well, I have mine all loaded up with a few books and have put a new screen saver on it in honour of the hysterics on this thread.

Don%2527t%2BPanic%2BAnd%2BThumb.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Well, I have mine all loaded up with a few books and have put a new screen saver on it in honour of the hysterics on this thread.

keaqsx.jpg

A tad smug and condescending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Butterball

Mine arrived this morning.......ordered 1st May!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

pissed wrote: »
    When did you place your order with Flubit?

I think I made the request last Friday, accepted the offer on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Can somebody post up a link or something about the easiest way to root these?Especially for the not very techically minded like me!!Cheers

toby2111 wrote: »
    Can somebody post up a link or something about the easiest way to root these?Especially for the not very techically minded like me!!Cheers

Some Info HERE on XDA forum might be of use

Cheers,its Double Dutch to me,dont understand a single thing!!

iPhone. wrote: »
    A tad smug and condescending?

I was going for reassuring. If you have had an order accepted, it will ship, whether it's from blackwells, asdam currys, littlewoods or the nook website. It just might take longer than 4/5 days, there has been massive demand but Nook have the stock to meet the demand.

Maybe THIS might explain it better.

Now yer talking iPhone,cheers!Looks nice and easy.Any other tips/tricks I should know about?And is 4GB sd card big enough?

• Advertisement

4GB will be plenty big enough, just make sure obviously that you use up to date firmware and files etc as they will have changed since that video was uploaded.

iPhone. wrote: »
    just make sure obviously that you use up to date firmware and files etc as they will have changed since that video was uploaded.

Were/How do I install up to date firmware and files etc??Sorry about all the questions,its all new to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Arrived Tuesday and dumped some epubs on it for the other half last night.

Seems very easy to use so far. Happy wife for €40. Bargain! :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Who was that with? I'm hoping littlewoods??

Yep, littlewoods, took me by surprise tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yep, littlewoods, took me by surprise tbh!

Hope for me so ordered on 1st but still processing in warehouse

Flubit emailed me yesterday to tell me my item was dispatched. They emailed me again today to tell me it wouldn't be dispatched until the 18th :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

hello guys
    nice bargain here
    just wondering can u access the internet or u tube on this, wuld be a great grab
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

GY A1 wrote: »
    hello guys
    nice bargain here
    just wondering can u access the internet or u tube on this, wuld be a great grab
    cheers

Hmmmm........http://lifehacker.com/5926798/turn-your-rooted-nook-into-the-ultimate-ereader-with-these-10-apps

anddd

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »
    Hmmmm........

is that just greedy lol

is that just greedy lol

I think it's possible to watch flash videos (youtube) on a hacked nook, but the experience wouldn't be great, the e-ink screen would be horrible for viewing flash videos. I think you can browse the net on it, but again, I've no idea how great the experience would be compared to a proper android tablet.

Have a look here

http://lifehacker.com/5889158/turn-a-99-nook-into-a-fully-fledged-android-tablet-in-four-easy-steps

I think it's possible to watch flash videos (youtube) on a hacked nook, but the experience wouldn't be great, the e-ink screen would be horrible for viewing flash videos. I think you can browse the net on it, but again, I've no idea how great the experience would be compared to a proper android tablet.

Have a look here

http://lifehacker.com/5889158/turn-a-99-nook-into-a-fully-fledged-android-tablet-in-four-easy-steps

ok thanks for that, was'nt sure about it
    more so a tablet im after really
    cheers

ok thanks for that, was'nt sure about it
    more so a tablet im after really
    cheers

Well it will do the e-reader part much better than a tablet will :) The other bits not nearly as well.

Have a look here

many of the hacks for the nook are totally pointless. if you want an e-reader get an e-reader, if you want an android tablet, get an android tablet. you can get, for example, angry birds to work on the nook but you can't tell the difference between the birds you shoot as they are only the one colour. some people just like to hack things I guess....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pretty pointless indeed. I have a 40e tablet that does everything they are trying to hack into their book. Who in their right mind would want to do these things on a nook. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

It won't be too shoddy at checking emails and news feeds down by the pool/beach though, as well reading your holiday novel. Sure will be far easier than squinting at a phone/tablet in direct sunlight. I hope so anyway.

Do I need to upgrade the firmware on these?Thought I read that somewere.

Pretty pointless indeed. I have a 40e tablet that does everything they are trying to hack into their book. Who in their right mind would want to do these things on a nook. :p

"does everything they are trying to hack into their book"

what does this mean....:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

biebiebie wrote: »
    It won't be too shoddy at checking emails and news feeds down by the pool/beach though, as well reading your holiday novel. Sure will be far easier than squinting at a phone/tablet in direct sunlight. I hope so anyway.
    Do tehy not come witha web browser at all? Pretty lame. At least the kindle does.
    Definitely hack it if it doesnt have a browser.
    glasso wrote: »
    "does everything they are trying to hack into their book"

what does this mean....:confused:

As in you can buy any aul cheap tablet with the ability to play video/games etc that comes in colour, runs it better etc etc. rather than trying to hack an e-book reader!
    Sure the kindle came with free net all over the world for life, I dont know anybody that ever used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Mine arrived today. Looks smaller than the kindle but obviously its the kindles frame that makes it bigger. Now to charge it up, root it & get the kindle app on it :)

• Advertisement

I'm trying to install that touchnooter thing to my micro SD card via my laptop but haven't a clue what I'm doing!!Any help greatly appreciated.

just got it there a while ago. I have the kindle basic already - plan to give this one as a present. First impressions are that it's not as good as the kindle - not as smooth in operation. May well root it but only to get rid of the annoying shopfront interface on it.

Do tehy not come witha web browser at all? Pretty lame. At least the kindle does.
    Definitely hack it if it doesnt have a browser.

As in you can buy any aul cheap tablet with the ability to play video/games etc that comes in colour, runs it better etc etc. rather than trying to hack an e-book reader!
    Sure the kindle came with free net all over the world for life, I dont know anybody that ever used it.

they do have a browser, if you type a url into the search function it will open the webpage, the search is basically just chrome.

It's pretyt much impossible to scroll though!

Opera Mini is a recommended browser that works well on it (this posted from Opera Mini in fact

Seaneh wrote: »
    they do have a browser, if you type a url into the search function it will open the webpage, the search is basically just chrome.

It's pretyt much impossible to scroll though!

It's hard to scroll on a touch screen? Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hi All

Trying to set up the nook. I'm at the wi-fi stage but after entering password it says password remembered but the "continue with setup" box stays greyed out and I cant go to the next step :(
    Any ideas ?

GKVkp2Fl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

I'm trying to install that touchnooter thing to my micro SD card via my laptop but haven't a clue what I'm doing!!Any help greatly appreciated.

I had trouble using Touchnooter earlier today. After an endless cycle of "nook is starting" and a restore. I decided to use NookManager instead. Very straightforward.

Hi All

Trying to set up the nook. I'm at the wi-fi stage but after entering password it says password remembered but the "continue with setup" box stays greyed out and I cant go to the next step :(
    Any ideas ?

GKVkp2Fl.jpg

Did you update it to 1.2.1? Try that first http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-Simple-Touch/379003175/

Click on "Get Version 1.2.1 Today" and follow the manual download instructions.

dango wrote: »
    I had trouble using Touchnooter earlier today. After an endless cycle of "nook is starting" and a restore. I decided to use NookManager instead. Very straightforward.

Cant get my head around it!Is NookManager better than TouchNooter?Or are they all basically the same?I'd like to root mine to check gmail,download apps from google play store(market) etc.

does anyone know how to get calibre to email news downloads to the nook over wifi- is this possible like with kindle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Downloading 1.2.1. - it doesn't appear to be a valid archive. Downloaded 3 times now - any other source apart from B&N for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

glasso wrote: »
    does anyone know how to get calibre to email news downloads to the nook over wifi- is this possible like with kindle?
    Was looking for the same thing as it's for my "technologically-challenged" father, and seems to be a no-go on various sites I looked at! :(

Downloading 1.2.1. - it doesn't appear to be a valid archive. Downloaded 3 times now - any other source apart from B&N for it?
    Yeh,I'm the same.Downloaded file but its not updating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Don't unzip it - drop it directly on nook. worked for me fine 5 minutes ago - just read the manual instructions:
    http://uk.nook.com/support/nook-simple-touch-software-updates

Did that,didn't work

Uh oh!!Managed to get TouchNooter onto micro SD card,put it into Nook,took it out,rebooted Nook....now its stuck on "Your Nook is starting up" screen"!!!!Have I just f@*ked up and bricked it????

installing now - I just hit the eject NOOK and didn't unplug it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Uh oh!!Managed to get TouchNooter onto micro SD card,put it into Nook,took it out,rebooted Nook....now its stuck on "Your Nook is starting up" screen"!!!!Have I just f@*ked up and bricked it????

If you hold the bottom left and right buttons after you turn it off (hold the power button for ~20 seconds) when it turns itself on again it will reset to factory settings.

Edit* I'm not sure if it is better but NookManager works whereas ToucheNooter didn't work. You have to install NTGAppsAttack to get gmail etc. working.

Apparently you now HAVE to use Nook Manager instead of Touch Nooter since firmware 1.2.0

See HERE

• Advertisement

dango wrote: »

This link refers to a disk imager file that isn't present?

Advertisement