Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nook Touch Simple eReader - €40 [Via Littlewoods]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

This link refers to a disk imager file that isn't present?

The link refers to instructions on how to root the Nook. Are you having problems trying to write the .img file to the sd card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Basq wrote: »
    Was looking for the same thing as it's for my "technologically-challenged" father, and seems to be a no-go on various sites I looked at! :(

Really? Balls! That's one of the best features of having a Kindle.

There must be a way. I mean surely at worst you could hack the Nook to receive emails and set up Calibre to send an email to that address and open them on the device?

toby2111 wrote: »
    Uh oh!!Managed to get TouchNooter onto micro SD card,put it into Nook,took it out,rebooted Nook....now its stuck on "Your Nook is starting up" screen"!!!!Have I just f@*ked up and bricked it????

It should be possible to unbrick it.

It was inevitable from your posts that you were going to brick it, I was typing up a warning for you earlier this evening but I got distracted before I finished the post. Sorry.

In future don't be in such a rush and don't do anything until you have every step clear in your head. I mean you only got the damn thing, enjoy it as an ereader for a few days. (it sucks as an Android tablet anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

OK - I've downloaded the nookmanager zip and the disk image. I've connected my micro SD to the PC. I've pointed disk imager to nookmanager.img and pointed to the removable disk. All I do is write now? Do I ignore the check box for MD5 hash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Panic over!!Did factory reset so back to square one,thanks anyways I Kill You Scum(great name btw!).Yeh,think I'll leave it for a bit,see how Mountjoy Mugger gets on above with NookManager.
    Dont need it as an Android tablet but thought it might be handy to check emails and get books from other sources.

• Advertisement

Sounds good. I read somewhere about the potential to mess it up if you don't use an external sd reader (meaning connecting it through a phone/camera etc.). Make sure that's the case and the rest sounds good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Paul O'Brien has optimised the Kindle app for the Nook

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362441-modified-kindle-app-optimised-for-eink-nooks/

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Moyglish

I ordered the Nook from Littlewoods last night and I see they've charged my card today - is this a good sign?

Does anyone hear know from experience when they normally take payment? Is it once your order has been processed ok? *hopeful* :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

littlewoods tracking showed my nook was sitting on a van in the uk after a misroute.
    the truth was it was being delivered in dublin.
    so much for tracking.....unless there is a 2nd one on its way :)

dango wrote: »
    Sounds good. I read somewhere about the potential to mess it up if you don't use an external sd reader (meaning connecting it through a phone/camera etc.). Make sure that's the case and the rest sounds good to go.
    dango-I just used the micro SD adapter and put that into side of laptop.Do you recommend connecting SD card through phone/camera?Or one of those USB adapters?

• Advertisement

dango-I just used the micro SD adapter and put that into side of laptop.Do you recommend connecting SD card through phone/camera?Or one of those USB adapters?

Use the adaptor. Don't use phone/camera etc.!

Will do thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's hard to scroll on a touch screen? Ouch.

It's not actually a touch screen, it's an infrared thingy.

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's not actually a touch screen, it's an infrared thingy.

It is a type of touchscreen, there is different ways to accomplish it and infrared sensors are one. Obviously it is totally different to a capacitive glass panel that most people associate with 'touch screen'. It is actually quite a nice, economical way of accomplishing touch detection. And very light.

The main reason it doesnt feel responsive scrolling in a web browser is just the latency and lag of the E Ink Panel. It just isn't intended for that type of stuff (yet) although there are some hacks that can speed it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

It should be possible to unbrick it.

It was inevitable from your posts that you were going to brick it, I was typing up a warning for you earlier this evening but I got distracted before I finished the post. Sorry.

In future don't be in such a rush and don't do anything until you have every step clear in your head. I mean you only got the damn thing, enjoy it as an ereader for a few days. (it sucks as an Android tablet anyway)

I bricked mine too. Luckily there's a way of unbricking it:

First bring it back to 1.1 using this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1475613

the follow instructions on nook site for update to the latest firmware 1.2.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

biebiebie wrote: »
    Did you update it to 1.2.1? Try that first http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-Simple-Touch/379003175/

Click on "Get Version 1.2.1 Today" and follow the manual download instructions.
    Downloading 1.2.1. - it doesn't appear to be a valid archive. Downloaded 3 times now - any other source apart from B&N for it?
    Yeh,I'm the same.Downloaded file but its not updating.
    donnacha wrote: »
    Don't unzip it - drop it directly on nook. worked for me fine 5 minutes ago - just read the manual instructions:
    http://uk.nook.com/support/nook-simple-touch-software-updates

I got the wifi working. The problem is like others I can't get the firmware to update. It copies across to the nook unzipped, I have ejected it from pc but it wont go to sleep mode and update. When I reconnect the nook the software file is not on it. :confused:

I got the wifi working. The problem is like others I can't get the firmware to update. It copies across to the nook unzipped, I have ejected it from pc but it wont go to sleep mode and update. When I reconnect the nook the software file is not on it. :confused:
    Unplug it from computer, connect it to wall plug. Mine updated then. Something to do with not being fully charged.... So it said online

Unplug it from computer, connect it to wall plug. Mine updated then. Something to do with not being fully charged.... So it said online

I plugged it into the wall plug, its showing 100%. I'll see what happens when it goes to sleep mode :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I'm trying to root mine with NootManager, but it's been stuck on "creating backup image.." for over 15 mins now... Is that normal, or should I power cycle it? :eek:

Edit: And instantly it finishes :) So if anybody else is in a panic, it took mine 17+ minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I can't update the firmware on mine, I downloaded the zip file and then copy and pasted it into the nook main dir, eject the nook, put it onto the mains charger and leave it and nothing happens, switch to screen saver after 2 minutes and then just stays on screen saver... boo.

• Advertisement

Quackles wrote: »
    I'm trying to root mine with NootManager, but it's been stuck on "creating backup image.." for over 15 mins now... Is that normal, or should I power cycle it? :eek:

Edit: And instantly it finishes :) So if anybody else is in a panic, it took mine 17+ minutes.

I believe the estimated time for the backup is 20 minutes. So don't panic until after say 30 mins ;)

iPhone. wrote: »
    Apparently you now HAVE to use Nook Manager instead of Touch Nooter since firmware 1.2.0

See HERE
    Paul O'Brien has optimised the Kindle app for the Nook

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362441-modified-kindle-app-optimised-for-eink-nooks/

The first link is perfect for giving to someone who doesn't know what their doing (A Father etc).

Second link should be a very handy app.

Cheeres guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

**** the lot of ye.....playing with your new toys whilst nook.co.uk cancelled my order this week.

If anyone has a spare, not bricked, drop me a pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

**** the lot of ye.....playing with your new toys whilst nook.co.uk cancelled my order this week.

If anyone has a spare, not bricked, drop me a pm

You could have mine...............

if you hadn't called everybody names!!!:P

Seaneh wrote: »
    I can't update the firmware on mine, I downloaded the zip file and then copy and pasted it into the nook main dir, eject the nook, put it onto the mains charger and leave it and nothing happens, switch to screen saver after 2 minutes and then just stays on screen saver... boo.

As you will see from my earlier posts, the same thing is happening to me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I had this problem until I left the Nook physically connected to the PC, but had selected the Eject NOOK option from the menu bar. My nook wasn't 100% charged. Installation began almost immediately.

Make sure you have the file copied over to the top level of the nook folders - not in any directory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You could just order from Littlewoods..

Just had Flubit cancel my accepted order from Currys as they no longer have any stock. Refunded me already.

Now it's down to Littlewoods, I'm not too hopeful at this stage of getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

re: update problems I wonder is it because some downloaded from us site vs uk site or vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

For those who ordered from ASDA Direct and haven't yet received theirs, this is the courier they use. :eek: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews263555.html#Reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Absolute joke of a company:

Date of Order: 30/04/2013
    Original Delivery Date: By 10/05/2013
    Latest Delivery Date: By 12/06/2013

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just had Flubit cancel my accepted order from Currys as they no longer have any stock. Refunded me already.

Now it's down to Littlewoods, I'm not too hopeful at this stage of getting one.

So they had accepted your order completely and they cancelled?! Had they taken the money?

They took my money a few days ago.

Was it because currys have no stock or flubit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

Got mine today, 3 days before scheduled! It's a beauty for such a low price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Esse85 wrote: »

Same here. Just cancelled. Complete waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Mine arrived yesterday, herself never told me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

Latest from Nook.co.uk

Irish Visa Card
    Delivery Add: Parcel Motel
    Billing Add: Parcel Motel
    Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you again for your purchase. We want to provide you with an update on your order. Due to overwhelming demand for NOOK® Simple Touch, you should expect to receive your device by Friday, 17 May. We are working hard to get you your NOOK as soon as possible and will email you parcel tracking information once your order has shipped.

Thank you for your patience,

The NOOK Support Team

why the mad rush to immediately update firmware, root the ass out of it - maybe just actually use it for a while :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

i want the kindle app on it anyways as i have all them bought from my android tablet

So they had accepted your order completely and they cancelled?! Had they taken the money?

They took my money a few days ago.

Was it because currys have no stock or flubit?

Yep had taken payment via PayPal. It was with Fireworks via Currys uk link. At the time Currys said on their websites that they'd have more stock on 17th. Now when I look at Currys website I see that they no longer have it in stock. They have already refunded me via PayPal.

Hence I have a feeling that my Littlewoods order will have the same fate - order is stagnant at dispatching from warehouse and no payment has been taken yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Yep had taken payment via PayPal. It was with Fireworks via Currys uk link. At the time Currys said on their websites that they'd have more stock on 17th. Now when I look at Currys website I see that they no longer have it in stock.

I have the same order with Currys/Flubit. I think it is bad form by Flubit. I mean if the offer is made then they should carry through. I doubt they are going to refund me the sterling conversion charge made by my bank. I cancelled my Littlewoods order as I thought it wasn't going through. So it looks like I am stuck and I wanted one as a present for my Godson - not sure where I'll get one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭after_shock3000

Mine showed up from Littlewoods yesterday afternoon too, even after the Middleton mishaps.

so it looks like littlewoods are actually coming through with the orders in the end (who knew?!), despite the best efforts of fastways to break the record for the most nooks to circumnavigate Ireland in white vans before final delivery, and that the so-called reliable vendors are coming up short...

glasso wrote: »
    despite the best efforts of fastways to break the record for the most nooks to circumnavigate Ireland

The holdups have been on the UK side, once Fastway Ireland have a hold of them they have usually been delivered same/next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

glasso wrote: »
    so it looks like littlewoods are actually coming through with the orders in the end (who knew?!), despite the best efforts of fastways to break the record for the most nooks to circumnavigate Ireland in white vans before final delivery, and that the so-called reliable vendors are coming up short...

I'll get back to you if I ever receive my order that has been processing in their warehouse for a week and a half at this stage...

The holdups have been on the UK side, once Fastway Ireland have a hold of them they have usually been delivered same/next day.

not in my case - seems to be have been in Ireland - Middleton? or not?

30/04/2013 17:34 Order being processed at warehouse
    01/05/2013 14:51 Despatched
    02/05/2013 02:22 Received at MIDDLETON DEPOT
    02/05/2013 13:03 At incorrect depot MIDDLETON DEPOT
    03/05/2013 10:14 Despatched
    07/05/2013 13:38 At incorrect depot MIDDLETON DEPOT
    07/05/2013 20:41 Despatched
    08/05/2013 00:00 Received at FASTWAY MIDLANDS HUB
    08/05/2013 00:01 Sorted at PRIME SORT
    09/05/2013 03:44 Received off van

finally delivered yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Middleton near Manchester I think.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Middleton near Manchester I think.

ok... so Littlewoods fault then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭coffee to go

The plot thickens - On my Littlewoods 'Transaction History' page:

Balance b/f from last statement
    Items You Don't Need To Pay For Now
    03/05/2013 34TQT1K Nook® Simple Touch Ereader Black 36.00 - Direct From Manufacturer
    03/05/2013 To Be Charged To Visa - On Despatch

Do Littlewoods therefore actually have a warehouse, or are they just piggy-backing the Nook logistics warehouse used by Barnes and Noble UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

Esse85 wrote: »

I've the very same dates - you are not alone :(

-Coley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭davehey79

did you get it sorted? im having the same problem myself

• Advertisement