Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nook Touch Simple eReader - €40 [Via Littlewoods]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

stevenmu wrote: »
    Just got an email from the Nook shop, mine seems to have shipped.

I got an email from the Nook shop on Wednesday to say that my Nook was "on it's way". But looking at the tracking now today, it's still sitting in the fncking warehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

davehey79 wrote: »
    did you get it sorted? im having the same problem myself

Not sorted yet mate :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Were Littlewoods UK always charging £39?

NOOK Simple Touch eReader - Black
    Item Numbers: 34TQT1I
    Was £99.00 Now £39.00 Save £60.00

Just ordered one of these from Littlewoods. Already have a Kindle Paperwhite so possibly I've just wasted €36. Intrigued by the idea of rooting it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

biebiebie wrote: »
    Were Littlewoods UK always charging £39?

NOOK Simple Touch eReader - Black
    Item Numbers: 34TQT1I
    Was £99.00 Now £39.00 Save £60.00

No, they were €40, and you can use a discount code to save 10% and get it for €36.

Yes that's for Ireland.
    But were they not £29 on the Littlewoods UK website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Got mine this morning besides it being misrouted in uk it also got misrouted here in Ireland went to fastways north west depot yesterday but arrived to house this morning happy with that nice machine for €36,no idea about rooting or whatever just going to use it for what it was made for.

Yes that's for Ireland.
    But were they not £29 on the Littlewoods UK website?

I didn't check the uk site :P

Ok, for anyone having trouble updating the firmware, you were probably doing the same thing I was and downloading the update from Barnesandnobel.com, which is the US update, we need the UK update which you can get here!

Downloaded from that link and it's working perfectly now, infact my nook has just restarted after updating!

Hope that helps the others like me who made that very easy mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Thanks OP. Nook arrived today from Blackwell (with paypal) via parcelmotel.
    Took 10 days in total, nice little device

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just ordered one of these from Littlewoods. Already have a Kindle Paperwhite so possibly I've just wasted €36. Intrigued by the idea of rooting it though.

Is it not out of stock there? I dont see it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah found it nevermind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anyone have any case/cover suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

1967 wrote: »
    Got mine this morning ........ just going to use it for what it was made for.

It was made for rooting if ever anything was :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Just ordered from Asda, they say they will have stock on the 16th on their website. I had to put in a phone number on my order form, but it wouldn't accept an Irish number, so I gave the number of parcel motel in Belfast (where I'm sending it to). I hope that will be okay?

• Advertisement

Just ordered from Asda, they say they will have stock on the 16th on their website. I had to put in a phone number on my order form, but it wouldn't accept an Irish number, so I gave the number of parcel motel in Belfast (where I'm sending it to). I hope that will be okay?

It'll be fine, I ordered through asda too and just made a number up.

iPhone. wrote: »
    It'll be fine, I ordered through asda too and just made a number up.

Good to hear. Fingers crossed they get the stock :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

I've got mine from Blackwells and have it rooted and now have the Kindle App working, as well as my Gmail, which is dead handy.
    The only reason I rooted it was that it was a quicker fix to get my (1000-odd)e-books useable on it (all .mobi) than to convert them to .epub.

If you want to use it as a touchscreen browser tablet, I've bad news for you....it's an e-reader. The worst resolution tablet will be nicer to look at than this for browsing. It's monochrome and the refresh isn't high. The touch response is...adequate, no more.

Root it, get your email, check the news and weather and maybe boards.ie. I haven't checked if tapatalk is available on it yet, but if it is, I might stick it on.

It'll be a handy extra to use it to very occasionally check the web if your phone is dead, but I intend to use it for it's main purpose, reading e-books. No more scorched retinas from using one of my other BA goodies, my HP Touchpad!

Great value, pocketable (jacket inside pocket for the guys) gadget.

EDIT: By the way, if you've never used an e-reader before (I hadn't) don't be fooled into thinking that the display has a sticker on it when you open the box. That's actually the e-ink display! I copped on before I tried to peel off the non-existant sticker, but someone might get further than me and if you have long nails, you 'may' damage your new goodie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Yeh, it's a great wee machine for the price! Mines now rooted but will be used mainly as an e- reader, already loaded up a Jo Nesbo collection!

Buy button is greyed out for me on Asda and button text says out of stock. Perhaps new orders have it sold out again?

• Advertisement

Buy button is greyed out for me on Asda and button text says out of stock. Perhaps new orders have it sold out again?

Yea, it said 'limited stock - order soon' when I placed my order earlier. Just checked there and it seems it's gone already, that didn't last long.

It's gone back up to £79 on Currys. I think the only option left is littlewoods :( or flubit, and just cross you fingers that they'll actually deliver it.

how to install kindle app on rooted nook ?

Xxflhue.jpg

Thanks i saw that. Do i just copy the .apk file to nook ??

how to install kindle app on rooted nook ?

Xxflhue.jpg

from the google play store.

If you use chrome on your computer you can install it from your pc to the nook.

go here, click "isntall", click "sent to" on the little pop-up screen and select your nook.

That should work, I think.

Seaneh wrote: »
    from the google play store.

If you use chrome on your computer you can install it from your pc to the nook.

go here, click "isntall", click "sent to" on the little pop-up screen and select your nook.

That should work, I think.

It tells me that my device is not supported when I try to download google play ?

Have you downloaded marketsearch (i think). then search for kindle

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Have you downloaded marketsearch (i think). then search for kindle

I have to try and figure out how to get the android market on my nook 1st.
    I might try a different root method, the one I used was nookmanager.

What's good about putting the kindle app on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

What's good about putting the kindle app on it?

Well you can buy books from Amazon as well as Barnes & Noble. I haven't got my Nook yet so I haven't had a chance to use Barnes & Noble but I would assume that Amazon probably has a larger selection of ebooks available and they often have sales so you can check both stores to see which is cheaper.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Gf just opened her nook, the feel of it is so nice, much nicer than my kindle imo. Not that you touch it if you get a cover!

I have to try and figure out how to get the android market on my nook 1st.
    I might try a different root method, the one I used was nookmanager.
    Hey sorry step ahead you need to get the Google apps there is a thread on xda on it, think its gapps0.5.0. Its pretty easy and uses nookmanager with step by step instructions

Id post a link but on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Thanks. Gf just opened her nook, the feel of it is so nice, much nicer than my kindle imo. Not that you touch it if you get a cover!

Plus of course you will have access to any books you have bought for your Kindle already if you add the Kindle app. I'm gonna have to find a nice cover if I ever get mine... I love the leather cover on my Kindle and I'm gonna need something similar so it feels more like a book in my hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

These have appeared back on argos uk for anyone who wants to order from them and parcel motel it
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5011276.htm
    Coming in and out of stock

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Hey sorry step ahead you need to get the Google apps there is a thread on xda on it, think its gapps0.5.0. Its pretty easy and uses nookmanager with step by step instructions

Id post a link but on the phone

I have nookmanager 1.2 installed, gapps0.5.0 does not seem to work with it. They both have to be the same build :confused:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Once registered, can we buy magazines from the Nook store? Handy if we could buy here in ireland, reasonably priced digital subscriptions on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Are there instructions on rooting it anywhere?
    Thx

Are there instructions on rooting it anywhere?
    Thx

See post No. 639 on page 43 of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭coffee to go

If anyone has been having hassle getting their kindle mobi files to work on the rooted nook kindle app, it seems the best way is to copy the mobi files to a micro sd card, inside a folder named 'Kindle'. Then a quick reboot and the books appear fine.

To be honest, the kindle app on the nook (even the modded version listed earlier in the thread) is a bit clunky, and if you already have your ebooks, then converting to epub and copying across with Calibre to read in the stock software might give a better user experience.

Anyway while I'm here:

Anyone got a recommendation for an alternative launcher to the ReLauncher one that is bundled with NookManager? Would prefer one that's a bit more Androidy with shortcuts to apps instead of the file manger-centric ReLauncher...

• Advertisement

Plus of course you will have access to any books you have bought for your Kindle already if you add the Kindle app. I'm gonna have to find a nice cover if I ever get mine... I love the leather cover on my Kindle and I'm gonna need something similar so it feels more like a book in my hand.

Here's my cover, the same ones exist for nook. They're great. Hemp, feels lovely.

kindle3_hemp_01_big.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

Here's my cover, the same ones exist for nook. They're great. Hemp, feels lovely.

kindle3_hemp_01_big.jpg

cool cover, have you a link for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

toby2111 wrote: »
    Yeh, it's a great wee machine for the price! Mines now rooted but will be used mainly as an e- reader, already loaded up a Jo Nesbo collection!
    Got mine set up for my 66 year old father - full of novels by Colm Toibin, John McGahern, Sebastian Barry, some travel books for Australia / Melbourne and a copy of Fifty Shades of Grey.

(one of them may not be true!)

Not gonna bother rooting it as seems pointless for him really... I'll already get 20 questions about it each day, nevermind if it was rooted.

A great buy for €36!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I think I got a dud :( I can't get it to turn on at all :( when I plug it into the computer, I just keep getting the "device is unrecognised" every 20 seconds. The light by the charger is green but flashes orange for a split second regularly. It's still stuck on the out of the box screen too.

After all that :(

I have nookmanager 1.2 installed, gapps0.5.0 does not seem to work with it. They both have to be the same build :confused:?

Hmm thats not good, guess you could revert back (restore to factory) and then root it using another nookmanager.

I know the one i used was compatible with the 0.5.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Just cancelled my order with Flubit after more fake promises on delivery. I dont think I will be using them again. Just placed an order with Argos and down for delivery to Parcel Motel on the 17th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

pissed wrote: »
    Just cancelled my order with Flubit after more fake promises on delivery. I dont think I will be using them again. Just placed an order with Argos and down for delivery to Parcel Motel on the 17th.

I had a row with them after hearing my order was sitting in there office a week after I was told it woud be shipped.
    Got £50 refunded to my account to cover the phone calls etc.
    Not a happy bunny:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Yeah I contacted them early on in the week and was promised it would ship on Thursday. Contacted them again on Saturday to be told they don't really know when it will be shipped as there is no stock but they THINK maybe in a few days. Only a difference of £3.40 between their price and Argos and I have more faith in Argos actually coming through with one.

pissed wrote: »

They told me mine had been dispatched on Wednesday, then emailed me Thursday to tell me they didn't know when it would be dispatched. I requested a cancellation but haven't heard back yet, I suppose it's the weekend so there's nobody there. Did you get your refund yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I ordered two of them yesterday from Littlewoods with the discount code (thanks for that guys).

So what is it like for book reading?

• Advertisement
Advertisement