Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nook Touch Simple eReader - €40 [Via Littlewoods]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

RedXIV wrote: »
    I think I got a dud :( I can't get it to turn on at all :( when I plug it into the computer, I just keep getting the "device is unrecognised" every 20 seconds. The light by the charger is green but flashes orange for a split second regularly. It's still stuck on the out of the box screen too.

After all that :(

Try a usb charger instead your computers usb hub can refuse to power if its requesting too much,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I ordered two of them yesterday from Littlewoods with the discount code (thanks for that guys).

So what is it like for book reading?

Looks great here. However I tried to convert a pdf to epub on calibre and it really messed it up. Was best to leave it in the original format, was calibres fault though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

paddyp wrote: »
    Try a usb charger instead your computers usb hub can refuse to power if its requesting too much,

Cheers but even a wall charger isn't getting it on :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I think I got a dud :( I can't get it to turn on at all :( when I plug it into the computer, I just keep getting the "device is unrecognised" every 20 seconds. The light by the charger is green but flashes orange for a split second regularly. It's still stuck on the out of the box screen too.

After all that :(

That's what i thought too,the battery is just too low to power up even when plugged to the computer.Leave it on charge for an hour and you should be al good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

They told me mine had been dispatched on Wednesday, then emailed me Thursday to tell me they didn't know when it would be dispatched. I requested a cancellation but haven't heard back yet, I suppose it's the weekend so there's nobody there. Did you get your refund yet?

No I just cancelled it this morning. Waiting on word back from them.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    That's what i thought too,the battery is just too low to power up even when plugged to the computer.Leave it on charge for an hour and you should be al good.

Been charging for hours :(

can anyone tell me what colour the LED beside the power connector should be? mine is still just green with the occasional orange flash

Been charging for hours :(

can anyone tell me what colour the LED beside the power connector should be? mine is still just green with the occasional orange flash

are you charging from mains or your computer?

are you charging from mains or your computer?

Now I'm trying the computer again, It's had about 4 hours at a mains too

Now I'm trying the computer again, It's had about 4 hours at a mains too

try hold the on and the home button for twenty seconds,that should activate a hard reset.

try hold the on and the home button for twenty seconds,that should activate a hard reset.

nothing :( been trying all of these combinations since yesterday,

power button for 2-10 seconds

power button + N button for 20-30 seconds

N button for 20 seconds

and still nothing.

the screen literally has changed since I got it, I still have the "Fully charge before first use" on display, never once changed

• Advertisement

Stop pushing buttons.

If a li-ion battery goes too low it becomes almost impossible to recharge...constantly pushing buttons and trying to make it turn on will just discharge the battery further and make things worse. You have probably already pushed it past the point of no return.

Leave it plugged in. Don't push any buttons. Every four or five hours unplug it for a short period and then plug it back in again. Don't try any reset combinations until it has been plugged in like this for at least 24 hours, and then only try the reset button sequence once every four or five hours.

If the battery is salvagable it will come back to life itself. If not, it is probably a goner and you will need to RMA it.

The normal procedure with a new Nook is to plug it in and don't push any buttons, it is normal for it not to be recognised by your computer. You should not attempt to turn it on, just leave it and it will come to life when it is ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Cheers but even a wall charger isn't getting it on :(

A few things to try HERE

Hopefully one will work for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

could you not take this to the android forum and leave the discussion around where to find a NOOK at £29 here only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Joziburg wrote: »
    There were a few here last week who had a deliver date of the 13th May for Littlewoods - have you received it already or did they push this date forward?

Will be interesting to see if it's delivered tomorrow.

Mine's still being processed. Ordered 3rd may and delivery 20th may. Bah.

Waiting on a delivery via parcelmotel. Does anyone know if parcelmotel now show on your account tracking when a parcel is 'received' in Belfast?

Any parcel I previously received through parcelmotel, the first item on the tracking list was when the package 'Left' Belfast. The only way of knowing they had received it was when they took money from your account. Has this changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

There were a few here last week who had a deliver date of the 13th May for Littlewoods - have you received it already or did they push this date forward?

mine was due the 13th, I got it on Friday (10th). I originally ordered it on the 1st. Nice little device, great for 36 quid - seems to handle PDFs well also so useful for work/college.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ok, for anyone having trouble updating the firmware, you were probably doing the same thing I was and downloading the update from Barnesandnobel.com, which is the US update, we need the UK update which you can get here!

Downloaded from that link and it's working perfectly now, infact my nook has just restarted after updating!

Hope that helps the others like me who made that very easy mistake!
    What's the need for the update? Or is it just to have the latest one? Any particular problems on the stock one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

iPhone. wrote: »
    Waiting on a delivery via parcelmotel. Does anyone know if parcelmotel now show on your account tracking when a parcel is 'received' in Belfast?

Any parcel I previously received through parcelmotel, the first item on the tracking list was when the package 'Left' Belfast. The only way of knowing they had received it was when they took money from your account. Has this changed?

Yes they show it arriving in Belfast now in your account page, along with a photograph of the parcel.

Do they show when it arrived or when they checked it in?

The reason I ask is that on my account I can see when a parcel is checked in, but not when a parcel actually arrives.

I would have thought that a parcel would automatically be scanned in and appear on your account when they accept delivery but that is not the case. It appears the check in time you see is the time that Nightline get around to scanning your parcel but not the actual time they receive it, this in my account history can vary from a few hours to up to three days in the current parcel I am waiting for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Just got a dispatch email from Asda (ordered Friday). Hopefully third time lucky then after littlewoods and flubit left me down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Just got a dispatch email from Asda (ordered Friday). Hopefully third time lucky then after littlewoods and flubit left me down.

Did you get your cancellation notification from Flubit? Still nothing heard from them at this end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brightkane

i was away for 2 weeks and only catching up on this now, I ordered from littlewoods, any hope of getting it?

pissed wrote: »
    Did you get your cancellation notification from Flubit? Still nothing heard from them at this end.

Yea, they cancelled this morning and I got my paypal refund about an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

Sorry, late to this.

I see someone ordered with Asda on Friday, but they are showing as out of stock now.

Do they have a good rate of getting these back in stock? Looking to order one to have one for mid0-June.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

No change yet.
    Date of Order: 01/05/2013 Original
    Delivery Date: By 13/05/2013

• Parcel: 1 of 1
    • Latest
      Delivery Date: By 17/05/2013
    Latest tracking information
    02/05/201315:04Order being processed at warehouse

• Advertisement

brightkane wrote: »
    i was away for 2 weeks and only catching up on this now, I ordered from littlewoods, any hope of getting it?

I would say 50/50.

You are definitely not going to get it any time soon, but the fact that they are still taking orders suggests they expect to get more stock in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Just got this email from Fireworks (Flubit). Not looking good.

"Firstly may I apologise for delivery delay concerning your purchase of NOOK Simple Touch eReader - Black

After a little investigation I have discovered, firstly our suppliers had stock discrepancies, Which enabled us to place orders for stock that physically was not at their Warehouse.
    This would generally be an issue resolved swiftly with an urgent delivery of new stock. But unfortunately the makers Nook Media LLC,are currently having problems of there own, with discontinuing Android-based tablet with a natural decline on ebook readers so with this information our suppliers are unable to secure what quantity of stock that will be available and when this delivery will take place. They have stated the 22nd May but we are unable to confirm any more then this as this is the second date the suppliers have moved.
    Please let me know how you wish to continue with this purchase."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I got the same.
    paultf wrote: »
    Just got this email from Fireworks (Flubit). Not looking good.

"Firstly may I apologise for delivery delay concerning your purchase of NOOK Simple Touch eReader - Black

After a little investigation I have discovered, firstly our suppliers had stock discrepancies, Which enabled us to place orders for stock that physically was not at their Warehouse.
    This would generally be an issue resolved swiftly with an urgent delivery of new stock. But unfortunately the makers Nook Media LLC,are currently having problems of there own, with discontinuing Android-based tablet with a natural decline on ebook readers so with this information our suppliers are unable to secure what quantity of stock that will be available and when this delivery will take place. They have stated the 22nd May but we are unable to confirm any more then this as this is the second date the suppliers have moved.
    Please let me know how you wish to continue with this purchase."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

What website did you create the demand from? eg Littlewoods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

biebiebie wrote: »
    What website did you create the demand from? eg Littlewoods?

Blackwell.co.uk (they rejected the first I created from nook.co.uk)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I created one with Flubit for currys.

I don't get this Flubit lark - why take money if they can't provide the product?

Well mine was delivered today according to the site. This came as a bit of a surprise to me, as the delivery address was unoccupied at the time of stated delivery. So they've left in on the porch, delivered it to a nice neighbour, delivered it to a not-so-nice-neighbour, or kept it themselves.

I don't like my odds.

Well mine was delivered today according to the site. This came as a bit of a surprise to me, as the delivery address was unoccupied at the time of stated delivery. So they've left in on the porch, delivered it to a nice neighbour, delivered it to a not-so-nice-neighbour, or kept it themselves.

I don't like my odds.

What did you put in the delivery instructions ? When I ordered, Littlewoods had a box to fill in with instructions for where to deliver if you are not home.

What did you put in the delivery instructions ? When I ordered, Littlewoods had a box to fill in with instructions for where to deliver if you are not home.

Can't remember, and don't think I can look up that data on the Littlewoods site.

Well my second flubit order was just cancelled. Demand originated from Very UK from last Friday Supposedly they've run out of stock. Meh.

At this stage I've had 4 orders cancelled from various suppliers. My last hope, like many others, lies on the shoulders of Littlewoods.

Is there any hope for us at this stage??

There was a 5th possibility - it fit in the letterbox :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

What's the need for the update? Or is it just to have the latest one? Any particular problems on the stock one?

Slightly sharper text, slightly more responsive, slightly less ghosting between page refreshes. It's just like any firmware update, little, hardly noticeable tweaks that just make it a wee bit nicer to use and a wee bit more efficient.

The 1.2.0 firmware is fine too, but it's always nice to have the best available version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I ordered two of them yesterday from Littlewoods with the discount code (thanks for that guys).

So what is it like for book reading?

This is a bit of a shock....

Date of Order: 11/05/2013
    Original Delivery Date: By 08/07/2013
    Parcel: 1 of 2
    Latest Delivery Date: By 08/07/2013

Just under 2 months?

Yeah Charlie I ordered last Saturday and it's saying the 17th of June. Is that accurate or is it Littlewoods just covering themselves with a ridiculous estimate? Anybody here who ordered from LWds confirm please? :)

I'd say it's a fair estimate maybe they added on 1 week or so to cover themselves. At least that's hopefully your worst case scenario (apart from order cancellation).

• Advertisement

Bugger. That's what I get for humming and haaing about it since the thread started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I cant seem to be able to buy any books i need a uk address is there a way round it,and if i try registering on the US site you have to put a state in,somebody please help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Damn. I wanted one for an upcoming holiday....have no idea if it will arrive in time now.

Will I cancel or wait? Arrgh first world problems! :pac::pac:

This is a bit of a shock....

Date of Order: 11/05/2013
    Original Delivery Date: By 08/07/2013
    Parcel: 1 of 2
    Latest Delivery Date: By 08/07/2013

Just under 2 months?

Clearly they have no more stock and they are relying on B&N resupplying them. You can read back over the thread and find the latest order that got shipped...it is probably about the 3rd. After that no more have shipped.

So it comes down to whether they get resupplied and if they will get enough to fulfill orders. If it happens it'll be very dependant on how far you are back in the queue. There is not much you can do other than get the order in and hope for the best.

Are they out of production or something? If not then I'd imagine the orders will be fulfilled eventually, even if that is in 2 months time.

They're probably on a cargo ship right now heading into Europe ;)
    Littlewoods order informs me I'll have it by the 20th May. That means itll need to be shipped on the next day or two.

Are they out of production or something? If not then I'd imagine the orders will be fulfilled eventually, even if that is in 2 months time.

Yes its quite possible they are out of production. The official reason for the price drop was 'get london reading' but anyone can see that's BS.

£79 to £29 is a stock dump, and you don't keep making something if you are trying to dump stock.

Its anyones guess as to how much more stock they have in the supply chain and whether they are happy to continue dumping at this price. We will just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brightkane

is it still for sale anyone online in the uk? or is littlewoods the only hope left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

1967 wrote: »
    I cant seem to be able to buy any books i need a uk address is there a way round it,and if i try registering on the US site you have to put a state in,somebody please help.

use Parcel Motel's address in the north?

I've only downloaded samples so far, and copied across a few ePub books I had elsewhere. Haven't actually bought anything from the Nook Store.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Received my second Nook yesterday due to all the cock-ups.early in the saga.
    Willing to pass it on for cost + expenses to somebody who has contributed to this thread and been disappointed.
    PM only, if interested.

Advertisement