Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nook Touch Simple eReader - €40 [Via Littlewoods]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I signed up to flubit about 5 or 6 days ago and I still haven't gotten any word back about an invite. Is there a standard waiting length?

Thanks guys!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I got a nook yesterday. I've been trying to get it rooted.

I've down loaded and burned touchnooter to a micro sd card. I've turned off the Nook and put in the sd card and turned it back on. The TouchNooter page comes up with 3 steps.

Wait for the screen to flash black
    Remove SD card
    Reboot device.

Its been like this for 10 minutes or so. Does it take long? Should I remove the SD card and reboot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

godtabh wrote: »
    I got a nook yesterday. I've been trying to get it rooted.

I've down loaded and burned touchnooter to a micro sd card. I've turned off the Nook and put in the sd card and turned it back on. The TouchNooter page comes up with 3 steps.

Wait for the screen to flash black
    Remove SD card
    Reboot device.

Its been like this for 10 minutes or so. Does it take long? Should I remove the SD card and reboot?

Yeah - it takes a while. Mine took around 40 minutes. It will tell you when it's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

what does rooting give you?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

beauf wrote: »

access to the kindle app is what I want

stimpson wrote: »
    Yeah - it takes a while. Mine took around 40 minutes. It will tell you when it's done.

Pity patients isnt my strong point!

beauf wrote: »

Ability to install other Android apps. With Google Drive and ES File explorer you can sideload ebooks over wifi.

getting worried now. Still on the touchnooter page and its been well over 40 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

Now even John Lewis seems to be out of stock. Typical, I had just received my flubit invite! :D

getting worried now. Still on the touchnooter page and its been well over 40 minutes

How did you prepare your microSD card? You need to use a proper SD card reader as opposed to mounting it with the Nook.

If you really think it's hanging, whip out the card and reboot by holding down the rear power button for 10 secs.

• Advertisement

used a microsd adapter and burned it using a dd command on terminal for mac.

May restart it and try it on windows

used a microsd adapter and burned it using a dd command on terminal for mac.

May restart it and try it on windows

Shouldn't be a problem - I used a Mac too. FWIW, I restarted mine mid update as I thought it was taking too long and it restarted to the Nook SW without issue.

Mine is now stuck on the "your NOOK is starting up....."

finally got it to reset by pressing the power off button, then the two bottom page turn buttons. It clears data and then goes into start up but nothing else happens

finally got it to reset by pressing the power off button, then the two bottom page turn buttons. It clears data and then goes into start up but nothing else happens

Did you remove the card?

yeah. managed to get it restored after holding on to the two bottom buttons and not letting go!

Will follow this and see how i get on

You can try this is it's completely fecked:

Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.

Initial conditions: Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure.

Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.

1) Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery. To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed. A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2) Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

3) Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.

4) Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds. This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

5) After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.

6) At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet. Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Will follow this and see how i get on

Yup, that tutorial should work. Your problem was likely caused by the fact that Touchnooter doesn't work with the more recent firmwares. Nookmanager worked flawlessly for me and many others on here.

Yup, that tutorial should work. Your problem was likely caused by the fact that Touchnooter doesn't work with the more recent firmwares. Nookmanager worked flawlessly for me and many others on here.

Ah - I didn't spot he was using Toochnooter. Nookmanager is what I used too.

• Advertisement

just loading nook manager now. Getting further than i did before!

ok i think i rooted it but looks no different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

ok i think i rooted it but looks no different

You can boot to Home and it looks the same but you can also boot to relaunch and you get an Android style homescreen, albeit a very basic one.

Found that!

Now need to install the kindle app. I've found the amazon app store for android but cant find the kindle app

Found that!

Now need to install the kindle app. I've found the amazon app store for android but cant find the kindle app

I can't really remember now but there's something you need to install, a search app to allow the play store to work. Very specific steps you need to follow too.

This is amazing... now ASDA have it in stock...

...and Flubit are now only accepting amazon links!

• Advertisement

Asda don't have it in stock when you actually go to order though, some kind of error on the product page, perhaps?

Oh well, wish I noticed this thread a few weeks ago. At least I learned about Parcel Motel, which is bound to come in handy some time or another!

Went out of stock again just 10m ago :(

http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-nook-simple-touch

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abusimbel

abusimbel wrote: »
    Hi All,

I want to tell my experience and warn everyone that is thinking on buying a Nook Simple Touch from littlewoodsireland.ie

I ordered mine on the 17/07/2013
    According to the website "Free delivery - Standard takes just 4 days"
    According to my order details the "Original Delivery Date: By 26/07/2013" and yesterday the "Latest Delivery Date: By 24/07/2013"
    Today I can see that they have changed the "Latest Delivery Date" to ": By 05/08/2013"

Here is the latest tracking information (today 26/07/2013)
    19/07/2013 16:40 Order being processed at supplier
    22/07/2013 14:56 Despatched
    22/07/2013 18:30 Sorted at HATFIELD
    22/07/2013 22:35 Sorted at HATFIELD
    23/07/2013 20:45 Sorted at HATFIELD
    So they haven't touch my nook since 3 days ago!!!

Since the 24th (Initial Latest Delivery Date) I am sending emails to their customer service and after closing my case several times with no real explanation of what is going on:
    -The fist message received from them was asking for information that it was already added to my email.
    -The second, that a "team of experts" are looking into this and that they will do their best to speed up the delivery.
    -The third, that it depends on the provider and that they can do absolutely nothing so I need to allow until the 5th of august for the nook to arrive.

After this third email (received yesterday 25/07/2013) I replied saying that I wanted to cancel my order and their answer was; if you want to cancel, allow the nook to arrive, then follow the process for returning items and allow 28 days for the money to be refunded.

Who can trust a firm that is so badly treating their customers??? So basically, if everything goes well I will get my money back the 2nd of September!!!! and to be honest I don't think I will ever get my money back (I cannot trust this company anymore)

Please learn from my mistake and save yourself time and troubles; STAY AWAY FROM littlewoodsireland.ie

I called today as I didnt have any update on my order....

They told me that the item was returned and that they will refund it!!! Incredible.

Does anyone know where I can buy a Nook in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abusimbel

Never mind, I just bought a second hand one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

abusimbel wrote: »
    I called today as I didnt have any update on my order....

They told me that the item was returned and that they will refund it!!! Incredible.

Does anyone know where I can buy a Nook in Ireland?

Ordered mine on 22nd July. Still not received it yet. They say it was sent to the wrong depo?! and to allow up to the 21st for delivery.

Last time I will ever order anything from littlewoods Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Hey, this is a touch (see what I did there) off topic, so sorry in advance. I noticed this offer and was planning on buying one for my mother, who recently smashed the screen on her kindle keyboard 3G. Another poster mentioned Amazon's return policy, and despite it being a month out of warranty, a quick phone call to Amazon and they agreed to replace it with a touch 3G model, new, free of charge.

Just on the off chance anyone with a broken kindle was going down this route similar to me... try giving customer support a buzz first!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

NothingMan wrote: »
    I can't really remember now but there's something you need to install, a search app to allow the play store to work. Very specific steps you need to follow too.

Marketsearch

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

It was in stock at Asda and Sainsbury's yesterday. Just bought a second one from Blackwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

have one to sell in limerick if anyone is interested. pm me. won a tablet, so don't need this now.

Back in Asda right now, just ordered one with the Parcel Motel thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

If anyone gets the "frozen screen" issue, there are fixes on forums that say you need to clean the screen with a damp cloth. There is no need for this.
    I got the frozen screen yesterday but simply ran my fingers over the screen from top to bottom which did the trick.

Just an fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

Which one was in stock?i dont see the simple reader as in stock at the minute..
    Back in Asda right now, just ordered one with the Parcel Motel thing.

Was in stock over the night there. http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-nook-simple-touch

I got an email from asda at 02:06, that site says they weren't in stock until 02:13, so I assume its dependent on someone reporting it. Could probably assume from that assumption that it actually went out of stock a while before 04:44.
    Best bet is to sign up to Asda for instant notifications. Not sure what's happening with the stock of these things now, whether Asda are just putting ones that weren't paid for back up for sale. Nowhere else has had any in near a fortnight, I believe.

Nowhere else has had any in near a fortnight, I believe.

Blackwell's and Sainsbury's the other day and Blackwell's again today.

Blackwell's canceled my order due to not shipping nooks overseas so I ordered from Asda early this morning. Hopefully they won't cancel too.

In stock at Sainsbury's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Does the store work in Ireland? I haven't bothered rooting it yet but had assumed you could just buy things the standard way, it says you need a UK address. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

bidiots wrote: »
    If anyone gets the "frozen screen" issue, there are fixes on forums that say you need to clean the screen with a damp cloth. There is no need for this.
    I got the frozen screen yesterday but simply ran my fingers over the screen from top to bottom which did the trick.

Just an fyi

I find that running my fingernail along the (internal) edge between screen and frame tends to do the trick. Apparently it arises due to dust or a hair etc getting in there?? I dunno, but it seems to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Speaking of parcel motel, is there anyway of getting them to deliver to your house instead of having to collect it?

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Speaking of parcel motel, is there anyway of getting them to deliver to your house instead of having to collect it?

But then your parcel wouldn't get to stay in the nice motel :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

NothingMan wrote: »
    But then your parcel wouldn't get to stay in the nice motel :(

Haha, but seriously, does anyone know if you can get someone else to post it to you directly then?

If there isn't then there should be ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Haha, but seriously, does anyone know if you can get someone else to post it to you directly then?

I am not sure if this would apply to all items but with oversized/overweight items you can have Parcel Motel arrange for the package to be delivered to any address in Ireland/Northern Ireland for €14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭styron

"Delivery to an alternative address - Any address in Ireland including Northern Ireland. International prices available – please call 1890 24 17 17 for quote.

Under 35 KG's:
    A supplement of €10.50 in addition to the €3.50 Parcel Motel charge, so €14.00 in total per parcel

Over 35KG's

A supplement of €10.50 in addition to the €3.50 Parcel Motel charge plus €7.00 per 10kgs (over the 35kgs) or part thereof per parcel.

.... the weight refers to the Dimensional (this is sometimes called Volumetric) weight of your parcel."

http://www.parcelmotel.com/howmuch.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I find that running my fingernail along the (internal) edge between screen and frame tends to do the trick. Apparently it arises due to dust or a hair etc getting in there?? I dunno, but it seems to work.

I don't buy the dust/hair theory to be honest, I'm of the opinion that because its a 'cheap' touch screen that its not embedded properly from the start, thus giving it a quick rub with the fingers might seal it up properly....still a nice piece of kit for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭The lips

My asda order was cancelled. I used the parcel motel postcode and my BOI credit card.

Any ideas why it was cancelled?

• Advertisement

Asda sent me an email yesterday morning saying mine was delivered, Parcel Motel sent me a text saying something (gotta be it, right? they already sent the welcome package, which I haven't collected) can be collected last night. I ordered on Monday night. No clue if any of that info is of any use to you, man.

Edit: yep, got it just there, now the rooting!

Advertisement