Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nook Touch Simple eReader - €40 [Via Littlewoods]

1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

rickyjb wrote: »
    Does the store work in Ireland? I haven't bothered rooting it yet but had assumed you could just buy things the standard way, it says you need a UK address. Am I missing something?

Anyone have a definite answer for this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

No, you're not missing anything. You need a UK address and a UK credit card to make purchases on the Nook store.

It might be possible to do it with that pre-paid sterling credit card that An Post do, but I don't know if anyone has tried that yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

stevenmu wrote: »
    No, you're not missing anything. You need a UK address and a UK credit card to make purchases on the Nook store.

It might be possible to do it with that pre-paid sterling credit card that An Post do, but I don't know if anyone has tried that yet.

So how do you buy books then, is the only option to root it and use the Amazon store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

So how do you buy books then, is the only option to root it and use the Amazon store?

Not at all. You can get any ePub book. Eason are ePub and calibre has lots of links to sites. You will need adobe digital editions for drm books though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Nope: See this post from earlier in thread:
    splish wrote: »
    As MurdyWurdy said, Nooks are compatible with books in ePub format. Some good sites with free ebooks in ePub format include feedbooks.com which have public domain and original books. Project Gutenburg is another good site for free ebooks.

Other sites which have ePub format ebooks include Easons, Kobo Books and Waterstones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You don't need to root the device to use books purchased from Amazon. There is a plug-in for Calibre which will enable Amazon books to be converted to epub and used on an unrooted Nook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Hey guys,
    It's a nice little machine so far, just got to set up some added functionality with the buttons on the side and I've heard you can enable multitouch so I'll try and sort that out as well.

Got two questions:
    1. Is there any way I can switch the display to landscape so that pdfs with smaller text can be more easily read? Also, if someone can recommend a pdf reader which could automatically crop the borders, that'd be great. I'm mostly just getting old versions of apps from android drawer dot com.
    2. How do you get a more typical android interface on the rooted homescreen? I have this explorer type screen with a button at the bottom to view a list of apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

Anywhere this is still in stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

They were in Asda on Saturday, you can sign up for email alerts with them and you might get lucky. They were in Sainsbury's and somewhere else recently too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i bought one from littlewoods a while back (when it first came out). it is still in the plastic that it was shipped in (blue plastic). if anyone is interested, it cost me €42 total, and they can have it. (postage would be at cost).

i thought about it as a gift, but i dont know anyone who might benefit from it, plus i need some money.

first pm to agree to above wins it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

stevenmu wrote: »

I can make purchases with my Irish credit card - i registered with nook store using a UK address (I'm northern originally, so used my home address, but I guess any genuine UK address should work). After registering, I just put in my own credit card details and worked away. I think because the value of transactions is so low, there is no automatic check between the registered address and the card address - if I recall correctly, transactions over a certain level are queried, it may vary, but I seem to recall it's somewhere around the €10 or €15 mark - maybe someone else knows more about this?

Just checked my account, I have entered my billing address as my Irish address up to the post code, where I entered a genuine UK postcode and I put country as UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭devil-80

anywhere in stock?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lilgit2

I have one, still in blue plastic it was shipped in , plus an official nook cover, only lo

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lilgit2

Sorry hit post too quickly, only looking for what I paid for €60 the lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Guys,

Selling mine on adverts, rooted with android. Box, Cables, etc. New babóig so need the glo light one.

http://www.adverts.ie/e-readers/nook-simple-touch/3860084

Paid about 50 for it all in I think. Boardsies would get it for 40.

// Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

My Nook's behaving strangely. I think the battery ran out or something, it's frozen on the lock screen (prompting me to press the 'n' button to wake) and doesn't respond to any combination of button presses. The charging light doesn't come on when it's plugged in either. Anyone have this happen to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Brian wrote: »
    My Nook's behaving strangely. I think the battery ran out or something, it's frozen on the lock screen (prompting me to press the 'n' button to wake) and doesn't respond to any combination of button presses. The charging light doesn't come on when it's plugged in either. Anyone have this happen to them?

Wifes one was like that eventually went to charging screen after charger was plugged in for several hours.

Was the charging indicator light also not illuminating on her one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

This used to happen me regularly, google the hard reset combination, but i think the actual fix was to carefully brush around the internal edging above the screen. It seems that if small pieces of dirt/hair etc get in there it freezes the thing. It hasn't happened me in months now since I first cleaned that - essentially, almost run your fingernail around the inside of the screen (not sure if my explanation is very clear on this).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

Rub the screen with your finger along the edges, don't be shy with it, works for me when it happens

• Advertisement

Is that just if the touchscreen isn't responding though? Mine doesn't wake, turn on or off, charge, anything.

Advertisement