Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nook Touch Simple eReader - €40 [Via Littlewoods]

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I have been told Blackwell have more stock coming in on Friday, so the orders will just be a day or so late if they haven't been fulfilled with existing stock. Hence the long credit card pending thing.

The price on Blackwells went back up this morning, but it came down again and says they have stock so I'd be hopeful it's coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Ordered 3, and the micro SDs to root them :)
    Do you know exactly how to root them? I'm new to all this rooting business so would appreciate a bit of help!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

toby2111 wrote: »
    Do you know exactly how to root them? I'm new to all this rooting business so would appreciate a bit of help!

http://lifehacker.com/5889158/turn-a-99-nook-into-a-fully-fledged-android-tablet-in-four-easy-steps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Does the nook need to be rooted in order to purchase and download books in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Not this again. people clamouring to get 1 and the likes of you order 3.

No doubt a bunch will be on adverts.ie and donedeal in the next few weeks for €70 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Pique wrote: »

No doubt a bunch will be on adverts.ie and donedeal in the next few weeks for €70 :rolleyes:

Pique, cheer up brah....you played well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I have had a nook glowtouch for about 6 months now. Haven't rooted it as I didn't know there were/would be any benefits to doing so.

Gotta say it's almost brilliant - one huge problem is that any slight damage to the screen results in the light from the glowlight shining through. Thereby making my glowtouch just a simple touch!! These minute scratches are not visible when the device light is turned off.
    I'm in talks with Barnes and Noble and hopefully they'll replace mine as a bit of googling tells me that I'm not exactly the first person to encounter this problem.

What are the benefits of rooting the device?

Other than the issue above, it is as life-changing for me as my first ipod, it's light, plenty of capacity, in-built dictionary, responsive (seems better than kindles I have looked at in shops), all in all, for £29 you really can't go wrong with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    What are the benefits of rooting the device?

Ten good reasons here

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I have had a nook glowtouch for about 6 months now. Haven't rooted it as I didn't know there were/would be any benefits to doing so.
    Without rooting the nook can you buy books in Ireland via the nook store or where do you buy books from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

splish wrote: »
    Without rooting the nook can you buy books in Ireland via the nook store or where do you buy books from?

Yes, you can use the nookstore from Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I mailed Barnes & Noble via their live chat and they said I need credit card with a US address to access nookstore. Don't know whether you can just use any US address? Do they check that it's linked to your credit card?

Has anybody cancelled Blackwell and got a faster response from anywhere else? I don't fancy waiting another day for "Next day delivery" from Blackwell.
    If need be, i'll try Littlewoods, is there a better option? Is uk.nook back working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

UK Nook seem to have taken my order and 2 days ago they said it's scheduled to ship. Haven't had any other updates from them yet. I'd say probably littlewoods would be quickest and most hassle free if they have stock. I'm almost considering buying one more from Littlewoods.

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    UK Nook seem to have taken my order and 2 days ago they said it's scheduled to ship. Haven't had any other updates from them yet. I'd say probably littlewoods would be quickest and most hassle free if they have stock. I'm almost considering buying one more from Littlewoods.

Foyles were the fastest it seems.. Dang. I only noticed them after i ordered, and assumed there'd be little or no difference between them and Blackwell.

They only sell the simple touch in-store now. All the others in the promo can still be bought online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Pique wrote: »

Nah one for me, and one each for the folkses, too much hassle to sell on adverts for the sake of 10 euro, I'll be busy modding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hmmm.. mine's down as 'Order being processed at warehouse' since order (yesterday morning).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

mine is in brussels en route to parcel motel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

No difference to my order status since my second email from nook on April 30 saying that my nook was ready for dispatch. Might be that they have an order backlog (me hopes....!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Just spoke with Blackwells there. According to the rep they got 70 orders and they are awaiting stock. Non-commital on when it will be in other than the end of next week(!). Was confident they'd get the stock but confirmed I won't see any change of the status of my online order until then. Credit checking according to him is a bit of a red herring i.e. it should be awaiting stock.

Now to see if littlewoods come through for me. Obviously if I end up with 2 I'll see the spare at cost to a boardsie that couldn't get their hands on one.

donnacha wrote: »
    Just spoke with Blackwells there. According to the rep they got 70 orders and they are awaiting stock. Non-commital on when it will be in other than the end of next week(!). Was confident they'd get the stock but confirmed I won't see any change of the status of my online order until then. Credit checking according to him is a bit of a red herring i.e. it should be awaiting stock.

Now to see if littlewoods come through for me. Obviously if I end up with 2 I'll see the spare at cost to a boardsie that couldn't get their hands on one.

70? That seems very low.. I hope they are not only counting UK orders..:(

Thanks. :)

• Advertisement

Got a reply. I used a different email address, and emailed them last night. I just asked would everyone be getting one, or were they limited to stock.
    Thank you for your email regarding your Nook order.

I can advise that this offer has been very popular and we are currently receiving hundreds of orders so processing has been slow.
    We will be despatching the Nooks in the order in which customers placed their orders though I can advise that we have received more orders than we currently have stock but more stock is due in by the end of the week and a further batch next week so all orders will be fulfilled by the end of next week.

At this point I regret we cannot state for definite when your order will be fulfilled but should be supplied by the end of next week at the latest.

Kind Regards,

Olie

Blackwell's
    Online Customer Services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thank you donnacha and allyall.

What to do, what to do :o

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Basq wrote: »
    Hmmm.. mine's down as 'Order being processed at warehouse' since order (yesterday morning).

Same here. I'm in no rush to get mine but curious about the delays for some folk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

toby2111 wrote: »
    I mailed Barnes & Noble via their live chat and they said I need credit card with a US address to access nookstore. Don't know whether you can just use any US address? Do they check that it's linked to your credit card?

Yeah, I'd say the problem there is you were talking to someone from the US and they don't even realise that the nook is sold in the UK.

There is a UK nookstore, you can use that from Ireand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Basq wrote: »

Here too even though I ordered before some people who have already had theirs dispatched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Here too even though I ordered before some people who have already had theirs dispatched.

me three - Despatch damn you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say the problem there is you were talking to someone from the US and they don't even realise that the nook is sold in the UK.

Probably don't even know there is a UK. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

loyatemu wrote: »
    me three - Despatch damn you!

Did yous happen to use the 10% discount code? I wonder can that aspect be holding up the dispatch.

biebiebie wrote: »
    Did yous happen to use the 10% discount code? I wonder can that aspect be holding up the dispatch.

Mine is being held up but I didn't use any code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

Thanks op ordered mine from littlewoods last night have wanted an ereader for ages, says order being processed at warehouse hopefully it will be despached soon:) just on the subject of the nook store is the uk one a diff address from the US one?? I'm not very techie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Folks who placed Littlewoods orders: Did you get an order confirmation email? I can log in to the LW site and get my transaction record and the the 'Order Being Processed' message, but I have no email as yet. Is this normal?

Ta!

Folks who placed Littlewoods orders: Did you get an order confirmation email? I can log in to the LW site and get my transaction record and the the 'Order Being Processed' message, but I have no email as yet. Is this normal?

Ta!
    You should have got an Order Confirmation directly after ordering alright.

Just in case any of you are on the hunt for covers I'd started a thread on the talk to forums with currys. Just picked up a black official "oliver" cover from Currys in LiffeyValley. They also have nook international chargers reduced to €7 and the shop mgr offered it to me for €4 because I was buying the case - but I passed as I have drawers full of chargers. Note all the currys.ie links don't work anymore so I've posted the products below from .co.uk

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056938685

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/ereaders/ereader-accessories/barnes-noble-nook-oliver-cover-black-18877438-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/ereaders/ereader-accessories/barnes-noble-nook-international-adapter-18877439-pdt.html

Ta!

It took me about a day to get a confirmation email and get my status updated from 'Order being processed' to 'Order being processed in the warehouse'. Another day later and I'm still at that stage.

Just in case any of you are on the hunt for covers I'd started a thread on the talk to forums with currys. Just picked up a black official "oliver" cover from Currys in LiffeyValley. They also have nook international chargers reduced to €7 and the shop mgr offered it to me for €4 because I was buying the case - but I passed as I have drawers full of chargers. Note all the currys.ie links don't work anymore so I've posted the products below from .co.uk
    Yep.. already enquired on thread as to stock in Sligo.

Might wait til I get despatch notification from LW before picking it up though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

Ta!

I got an email straight away and says now its processing in warehouse

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056938685

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/ereaders/ereader-accessories/barnes-noble-nook-oliver-cover-black-18877438-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/ereaders/ereader-accessories/barnes-noble-nook-international-adapter-18877439-pdt.html

Are they sleeves or are they folio style?
    I'm looking for something like this, but i don't like the elastics, and i don't like these at all

THIS is a pretty good offer.
    as is THIS
    - Nearly everything included in the 2nd one, for €11 delivered. Gettin' it. :)

Allyall wrote: »
    Are they sleeves or are they folio style?
    I'm looking for something like this, but i don't like the elastics, and i don't like these at all

THIS is a pretty good offer.
    as is THIS
    - Nearly everything included in the 2nd one, for €11 delivered. Gettin' it. :)

Can't access ebay here at work so can't compare to your links.
    You can view a range of the Oliver pictures on the B&N website - just click more: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/oliver-bcrf-cover-in-bright-pink/23994596

Main reason I got it was because reviews of the clips for holding it seem good - i.e. no viewing impairment. A few of the other official Nook cases are made for multiple products and don't fit as snugly as this range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Order Status
    What's happening with my order?

Date of Order: 01/05/2013Original
    Delivery Date: By 10/05/2013
    Parcel: 1 of 1Latest
    Delivery Date: By 10/05/2013

This parcel contains
    Item Number: 34TQT, NOOK® Simple Touch eReader BLACK ONE SIZE, QTY (1)
    Latest tracking information
    01/05/2013 03:31 Order being processed at warehouse
    01/05/2013 14:51 Despatched
    02/05/2013 01:58 Received at BRISTOL DEPOT
    02/05/2013 02:29 At incorrect depot BRISTOL DEPOT
    Comments
    02/05/2013 03:29
    We apologise, there will be a slight delay in the delivery of your parcel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

My Littlewoods order is still being processed in the warehouse, ordered about 11.30am yesterday. Really hope the order doesn't get cancelled, husband just bought a cover for it online!

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yes, you can use the nookstore from Ireland.
    When I setup an account with the nook store there is only an option for the UK under billing address. How do you get around this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

splish wrote: »
    When I setup an account with the nook store there is only an option for the UK under billing address. How do you get around this?

I used the parcel motel address as my billing address and it seems to have worked fine. My order still hasn't shipped, but the status has gone from "recieved" to "in process", and I got an email to say that it was "scheduled to ship".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Littlewood order on processing for the last 24hours. Ordered 7am yesterday. Really hope it gets shipped out. Had trouble with them before for a different bargain alert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Joziburg wrote: »
    It's probably because they actually don't have any in stock.

Well, as long as they can get them in I'll be happy! My estimated delivery date is 13th May

stevenmu wrote: »
    I used the parcel motel address as my billing address and it seems to have worked fine. My order still hasn't shipped, but the status has gone from "recieved" to "in process", and I got an email to say that it was "scheduled to ship".
    Sorry, I was referring to actually buying ebooks from the nook store once I get it from Littlewoods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

Ordered from Littlewoods yesterday and according to the website my order has been processed with a Latest Delivery Date of 13/05/2013.

Fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Allyall wrote: »
    70? That seems very low.. I hope they are not only counting UK orders..:(

Thanks. :)

They told me there has been hundreds of orders.

Also from Nook:
    Dear Valued Customer,

We are writing to you about your recent nook.co.uk order.

Recently you may have received an email from us stating that we had some difficulty charging your credit card. We are pleased to tell you that the problem has been resolved. We hope that you will return to nook.co.uk to place your order again.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sincerely,

The NOOK Support Team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

I mentioned way back in this thread that I had a problem with my CC being accepted by nook.co.uk so I created a new order. Now I get this in relation to the first (aborted) order....

"We are writing to you about your recent nook.co.uk order.
    Recently you may have received an email from us stating that we had some difficulty charging your credit card. We are pleased to tell you that the problem has been resolved. We hope that you will return to nook.co.uk to place your order again.
    We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Might be useful to somebody who wants to retry the nook.co.uk route.

Still no change in status of my accepted order.

Edit: Sorry this crossed with Tar.A's post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just in case any of you are on the hunt for covers

Just to add, if you're impatient and close to a Tesco, the 'Built' brand of sleeves hold a Nook Simple Touch very snugly.. and are fleece soft inside.

My Nook and Built sleeve below.

nookbuilttesco.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Much prefer covers you can open, recommend hemp ones!

nook+sleeve.jp

• Advertisement
Advertisement