Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does pension appear on payslip?

Options
  • 30-04-2013 12:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am wondering does the amount you pay gross or net appear? If I am paying x gross and y is net, which does it show? I got my first payslip with pension paid. I thought x would be shown and would be a deduction from gross like with the bike to work scheme, but y is shown I assume. The number shown is less than what I thought I would be paying. So is this the figure I paid but a higher figure goes into your fund?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Difficult post to decipher, but I think the answer you want is that the deduction shown on your payslip is your gross contribution to your pension. To prove / dis-prove this do the simple gross to net calculation Gross Pay - Deductions = Net Pay (Take home pay). There's a bit in the middle where taxes and other deductions get calculated but ignore that for now.

However that can be a trifle misleading as the gross employee pension contribution you see is net of the current value of the State-funded pension you will be paid on retirement.

Your employer's contribution may also be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

mathepac wrote: »
    However that can be a trifle misleading as the gross employee pension contribution you see is net of the current value of the State-funded pension you will be paid on retirement.
    `

Eh? Your contribution is your contribution. It is shown gross.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah I see, I am paying 10% of my wage to pension. I thought this 10% would be of my gross, but it appears to be 10% of my net that is paid. That was not how the pension guy explained it. :confused: The amount is written twice under miscellaneous, I assume the second amount it the companies contribution? It says "ER <amount>" twice.

An odd thing is if I add my tax+prsi+usc it equals my total deducted. Pension doesn't seem to be deducted anywhere.
    So say my gross is 100, my prsi+usc+tax = 40 and my pension contribution is 10. I would have thought i'd get 100 - 40 - (10-tax). But what I got was 100-40. And that my contribution was taken after I paid tax whereas i thought they were take before. :confused:

Advertisement