Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a house that has flooded & Septic Tank

Options
  • 30-04-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Im in the market to a house that i am told is liable to flooding
    Its a peach of a property on the bank of the river...
    There was a claim made a few years ago for a new kitchen.
    The house filled with water
    The premium is now 750 Euro
    How many claims can you make before insurers will not insure the property for flooding?
    There is also an old septic tank very close to the river / property
    It appears to be old so will need upgrading ...
    The tank has been registered
    Are there new septic tanks that can deal with houses that are prone to flooding.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Personally I would not touch the property if its libel to flooding no matter how good it currently looks. Its a massive gamble and from a selling on POV your restricting your market to people with similar thinking to yourself. Its likely the septic tank and percolation area is not operating to any kind of high standard. Is the property also on its own well? If yes it may have been contaminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Most insurance companies don't quote for flood cover if the house is located within an area prone to flooding even if the particular property has never flooded so if there is insurance on the property for flooding at all your doing well. I don't see very many positives points to buying a property that can flood as the cost of repair and replacement of 1 flood is substantial never mind it happening again. It is also difficult to put in place any works that could prevent damage in a property so close to a river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

As anyone who has ever had a home flooded, don't ever live anywhere near a flood risk, the amount of damage that can be done in even a short while is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How many claims can you make before insurers will not insure the property for flooding?
    As said, most insures won't insure you if the place has been flooded before, as it's a case of "when" it'll happen again as opposed to "if" it will happen. Are you prepared to lose the entire downstairs to flooding?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I live on a hill- 30 feet above the level of the River Liffey, but within 100m of the riverbank. Irrespective of the fact that I'm on a hill- my house is uninsurable for flood purposes.

You will have your work cutout getting any insurance company to quote for flood damage- most companies work off a map- x distance from the riverbank of a river in a list (of almost 300), or any previous flood claim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement