Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS unit

Options
  • 30-04-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

i posted this in the cycling thread also but thought i'd post it here also just in case...

i currently have a garmin edge 705 but am looking to upgrade, specifically i'd like something that would cover both cycling and hiking well. i've had a bit of a look around but would appreciate any advice you guys might have. ideally i'd like to be able to use my HR & cadence sensors but from what i can see this wouldn't allow me to see the data in real time on many of the hiking units. all thoughts welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't know about the two sensors you mention, but I have the Garmin tempe temperature sensor that uses the same ANT+ wireless technology and that works fine with my Oregon 550t to display temperature in real time. On the pages where you can display data fields you can choose anything you like, and on mine at least, I see both Cadence and Heart Rate listed in the list of possible fields, so you should be fine I'd say.

BTW the current Oregon 4xx, 5xx series is being replaced at the moment with the new Oregon 6xx series, so you might be able to get a bargain there if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

looks like there are bike mounts for the 550t alright, out of interest what did you pay for yours?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/shop-by-accesories/mounts/bike-cart-mount/prod11411_010-11023-00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

looks like there are bike mounts for the 550t alright, out of interest what did you pay for yours?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/shop-by-accesories/mounts/bike-cart-mount/prod11411_010-11023-00.html
    I've no idea, I bought it years ago when they first came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

I recently bought the Etrex30 from Garmin about 275.
    Small , company fits in your had very well and seems to have ANT connections for Temp/Heart rate sensors.
    Takes a bit of getting use to as the screen is not touch screen but overall im very happy as I can load google map routes and way points on to it.
    Also there are loads of Bike mounts for it if you need them.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

if any of you looking for cheap GPS unit then I have a garmin oregon 550 for sale on adverts.:D click on my profile then follow my adverts. ads :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement