Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking hills

Options
  • 30-04-2013 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

What's the optimum way to bike long hills (say, >1km distance, >6% grade)? Is it more efficient to stay in the saddle throughout? Or alternate standing? Or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Granny gearing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Granny gearing !

For me its bum in the saddle, drop through the gears and spin out those legs until the top !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd try and stay in the saddle as much as possible too. One thing I have picked up from mates who mountain bike is that if you look up the road and think 'I'll need to change gear up there', once you think that, that's where you change. Don't wait for the legs to slow right down before changing.

One thing that was talked about during the training camp I was on was about keeping your upper body still while in the saddle. You don't want to waste energy by bobbing up and down, or rocking the shoulders, nice smooth movements with the upper body staying as still as possible. All nice and easy to say but very different when you are halfway up a mountain and your heart is bursting out your chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I dont think there is a true optimum way to climb everyone is different, and has different styles, some can spin up @100rpm, me I grind gears.

I would avoid standing for long periods as it increases the HR,
    sit in the saddle only standing to pick up the pace, relax your upper body and leave your hand on the top of the bars to open out the chest to allow full lung expansion,
    also I would suggest making sure you start the climb in the correct gear, so you dont waste energy due to the wrong gearing, also unless is a short drag < 5min ish I would suggest not to attack but to easy back at the bottom and maintain a constant pace over the top and use the decent to recover by spinning the legs.

and dont mind AKW there is not a climb in this country that you need granny gears for. (or should not need them for):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Give this the Triathlon forum....

The correct way to climb is in the aero position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »

whilst in the 53/11

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

whilst in the 53/11
    nick-bowdler-2.jpg

77 / 11 Go big or go home!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you do get out of the saddle, drop to a harder gear, and switch it back when you sit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

is there another position???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

longshank wrote: »
    is there another position???

thats what Jackyback's wife said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

thats what Jackyback's wife said.

Right the sexual side of the thread is back;)

Advertisement