Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compatibility Mode view invoked for Boards.

Options
  • 30-04-2013 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭

Hardware: Dell Dimension 4550, Pentium 4 2GHz, 512MB RAM

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Browser Version: Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

Issue:

Since approx 11:00 this morning, Compatibility View is kicking in on Boards only when a page is loading.

Steps taken so far:

Cleared cache and cookies using Ccleaner V4.00.64

Restarted computer

I can manually force compatibility mode off.

---

I'm heading out of the office now in a minute so won't be able to reset IE till the morning. I'm not sure what to make of the behaviour tbh, all other sites seem to be working fine. It's just Boards is causing the issue to present itself.

I have attached a screenshot-

Compatibility_Mode_Bug.PNG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

This is a report from boards.ie/diagnostics

Diagnostics Page

Your System

IP Address:

Operating System: Windows XP (SP3)

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB7.4; chromeframe/26.0.1410.64; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Your Browser

Javascript Enabled: Yes
    Cookies Enabled: Yes
    Java Enabled: Yes
    Flash Version: 11.7 700 installed
    Your Resolution

Screen: 1024 x 768
    Current Browser: 1003 x 628
    Colour: 32 bit
    Our Server

Date/Time: Friday 03rd of May 2013, 12:30:00
    Name: www.boards.ie (lips)

=====================================================

And attached is a new screenshot with the message that I need to upgrade my browser. Unfortunately Windows XP will not accomodate IE9.

Compatibility_Mode_Bug_2.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

So your IE8 browser is reporting itself as IE7; that's the issue and why you're getting the notice about upgrading your browser - it believes you're on IE7 which isn't supported anymore.

We send a header telling your browser to emulate IE9, it should fall back to IE8 (default) when it can't emulate IE9.
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE9" />

We've not changed anything on our side for the main site in a while, so I suspect this is a problem specific to your own machine. See this page about steps you can take to disable compatibility view.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Thanks Danny,

I completely missed the MSIE 7.0 string, I was going to say I'd jig the registry to change the browser identifier string (I haven't done that since the days when eircom used provide dial-up install cds with "Internet Explorer 4.0 provided by eircom" in the title bar, used annoy me something fierce!), but then a quick google threw up this little gem-

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/18450/change-the-user-agent-string-in-internet-explorer-8/

and as you can see, even in the screen caps there, IE8 is identifying as IE7 in the user agent string, the same as mine, but the website useragentstring,com is able to see it as IE8!

I won't be back in the office again till Tuesday but at least now I know it's an easy fix on my end.

You could probably close this one off so Danny, cheers for pointing me in the right direction anyway :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement