Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 to finally get upgrade between Ashford and Arklow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

jd wrote: »
    Depends on time of day/year.
    16 km at 120 kph is 8 minutes
    at 80 kph is 12 minutes.

So a minimum of 4 minutes :)

Might be less if it's 100kph on that stretch:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

RAFA B wrote: »
    Might be less if it's 100kph on that stretch:)

I'd be pretty sure it'll be motorway when it opens, otherwise the redesignation of the Rathnew by pass was pretty pointless :)

I'd be pretty sure it'll be motorway when it opens, otherwise the redesignation of the Rathnew by pass was pretty pointless :)

I could be wrong but am nearly sure i read it will be a dual-carriageway. Could be wrong though.

RAFA B wrote: »
    I could be wrong but am nearly sure i read it will be a dual-carriageway. Could be wrong though.
    Gorey Bypass (amongst others) was built as a (High Quality) Dual-Carriageway and re-designated as motorway afterwards. Minister of transport has this power since 2007. Previously, all motorways were built using a motorway order.

Gorey Bypass (amongst others) was built as a (High Quality) Dual-Carriageway and re-designated as motorway afterwards. Minister of transport has this power since 2007. Previously, all motorways were built using a motorway order.

Thanks guvnor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It'll mean so much more than the few minutes though. No more sitting behind trucks or oul'wans in Micras sitting on the centre white line at 30mph, no more tractors and cyclists at Ballinameesda, no more suicidal lunatics at Jack Whites or the Beehive, no more two mile tailbacks to merge at Rathnew or the end of the Arklow bypass. Heaven :)

bmaxi wrote: »
    It'll mean so much more than the few minutes though. No more sitting behind trucks or oul'wans in Micras sitting on the centre white line at 30mph, no more tractors and cyclists at Ballinameesda, no more suicidal lunatics at Jack Whites or the Beehive, no more two mile tailbacks to merge at Rathnew or the end of the Arklow bypass. Heaven :)

Yes very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Do hope it's designated 120 km/h

I really don't see the difference, on the Arklow by pass for example, of the road size and structure and why some of it is 100 km/h and other parts with the exact same size and structure are 120 km/h.

It's beyond belief really.

Same on the M50, most of the road on the southern cross route is 100 km/h - even though it's supposed to be a motorway - daft.

Yet the N70 from Kenmare to Waterville, for example, is also 100 km/h :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

it'll also take away the worry of getting stuck there and having to add on 10-20 mins to your daily commute just in case, bliss indeed.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Do hope it's designated 120 km/h

I really don't see the difference, on the Arklow by pass for example, of the road size of structure and why some of it is 100 km/h and other parts with the exact same size and structure are 120 km/h.

It's beyond belief really
    AFAIK The only part of the Arklow bypass that is not 120kph, apart from the last km to the exit at Clogh, is the stretch before the first Arklow exit southbound and correspondingly after the last Arklow exit northbound. This is because of the junction with the old Arklow road at the Rugby club. (Can't have the "rugger buggers" discommoded by having to drive to the lift-off, you know) although there may be houses that are only accessible from that southbound exit. I haven't studied the plan in detail but I don't recall seeing any change to this, so I imagine it will stay at 100kph.

• Advertisement

Murtinho wrote: »
    it'll also take away the worry of getting stuck there and having to add on 10-20 mins to your daily commute just in case, bliss indeed.

Yep, now you'll only have to worry about the 10-20 mins at Kilmacanogue in the morning or Loughlinstown in the evening. :)

AFAIK The only part of the Arklow bypass that is not 120kph, apart from the last km to the exit at Clogh, is the stretch before the first Arklow exit southbound and correspondingly after the last Arklow exit northbound. This is because of the junction with the old Arklow road at the Rugby club. (Can't have the "rugger buggers" discommoded by having to drive to the lift-off, you know) although there may be houses that are only accessible from that southbound exit. I haven't studied the plan in detail but I don't recall seeing any change to this, so I imagine it will stay at 100kph.

Yeah, the problem re those llos, which will be removed, certainly when the new section opens.

http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/News/JohnstownSouth.aspx
    http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/News/JohnstownNorth.aspx

Same on the M50, most of the road on the southern cross route is 100 km/h - even though it's supposed to be a motorway - daft.
    Motorways don't have to have limits of 120 km/hr, though this is the default. Urban motorways/freeways etc often have lower/variable limits. Most of M50 had limits reduced as the lanes were narrowed, also some junctions are pretty close together. I

Yep, now you'll only have to worry about the 10-20 mins at Kilmacanogue in the morning or Loughlinstown in the evening. :)

Wont bother me, I dont go that far:D

Motorways don't have to have limits of 120 km/hr, though this is the default. Urban motorways/freeways etc often have lower/variable limits. Most of M50 had limits reduced as the lanes were narrowed, also some junctions are pretty close together. I

I don't get it

This is from citizens information

"
    Motorway speed limits (120 km/h)

A speed limit of 120 kilometres per hour is in place on all motorways. You should note that learner drivers, vehicles under 50 cc, bicycles, pedestrians, animals and invalid carriages are not allowed on motorways in Ireland."

So it's either the M50 OR NOT :P

I don't get it

This is from citizens information

"
    Motorway speed limits (120 km/h)

A speed limit of 120 kilometres per hour is in place on all motorways. You should note that learner drivers, vehicles under 50 cc, bicycles, pedestrians, animals and invalid carriages are not allowed on motorways in Ireland."

So it's either the M50 OR NOT :P

CIB is wrong. A motorway is defined as follows (no speed limit mentioned :) )

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1993/en/act/pub/0014/print.html#sec43

43.—(1) A motorway means a public road or proposed public road specified to be a motorway in a motorway scheme approved by the Minister under section 49 .

(2) A person shall not have or be entitled to direct access from any land adjoining a motorway to the motorway, or from the motorway to such land, nor shall a right to such direct access be granted at any time.

(3) The Minister may prescribe—

(a) the classes of vehicles which shall be permitted to use a motorway and different classes of vehicles may be prescribed in relation to motorways generally, particular motorways or particular parts of particular motorways, and

(b) conditions in relation to the use of motorways generally, particular motorways or particular parts of particular motorways by vehicles or specified classes of vehicles (including conditions specifying the periods of use of motorways by specified classes of vehicles) and different conditions may be prescribed in relation to different motorways or different classes of vehicles.

(4) (a) Pedestrians and pedal cyclists shall not use a motorway.

(b) Persons in charge of, or having control over, animals shall not permit them to be on a motorway.

(5) (a) A person who uses a motorway in contravention of regulations under subsection (3) shall be guilty of an offence.

(b) A person who contravenes subsection (4) shall be guilty of an offence.

(6) A reference in any enactment or instrument to a motorway shall be deemed to be a reference to a motorway as defined in this Act.

So yes, it's the M50 ;)

After that diversion, has anyone seen any equipment moving on site etc?

there was a crane opposite Jack whites this morning, just got a glance but it seemed to be installing portacabin yokeys that the staff us around such sites. Jack White's will clean up on lunches over the next few yrs if their being based there!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

After that diversion, has anyone seen any equipment moving on site etc?

There was a moxy & track machine along with the crane accross from jack whites this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7 5HCC

Is it possible the dual carriageway before Rathnew bypass can be redesignated Motorway? I see a bus stop and the exits look a bit short but could it be a motorway most of the way back to Exit 11 Graystones Kilcoole Kilpedder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

5HCC wrote: »
    Is it possible the dual carriageway before Rathnew bypass can be redesignated Motorway? I see a bus stop and the exits look a bit short but could it be a motorway most of the way back to Exit 11 Graystones Kilcoole Kilpedder?
    Yes with a little work, but the really important part is Bray-Greystones. This needs widening to 6 lanes, but would cost a fortune due to a difficult route, and the enviro crowd would go mental.

Surveyors out in the fields between Jack White's and Barndarrig today so it looks like things are definitely on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jengagirl wrote: »
    No - 10yrs before Enniscorthy by pass

Bump.

€14 million has been allocated this year for Wexford's roads including the Enniscorthy bypass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

zerks wrote: »
    Bump.

€14 million has been allocated this year for Wexford's roads including the Enniscorthy bypass.

Once M17/18 gets off the ground I'd say M11 Enniscorthy will be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Eldrew

spacetweek wrote: »
    Once M17/18 gets off the ground I'd say M11 Enniscorthy will be next.

Hope you're right but I'm sceptical and it will cost a lot more than 14M for that by pass.

zerks wrote: »
    Bump.

Can imagine it will cost north of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Here's a heretical thought. Wouldn't it have been cheaper and more effective to extend the M9 from Waterford to Rosslare, seeing as the damn thing is half empty in places?

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Here's a heretical thought. Wouldn't it have been cheaper and more effective to extend the M9 from Waterford to Rosslare, seeing as the damn thing is half empty in places?

No,the New Ross bypass is due to start soon anyway.The M11/N11 is the main route from Rosslare to Dublin and Enniscorthy is a huge bottleneck.The likes of Ferns & Camolin will also be bypassed so it'll be a clear run to & from the capital.

Eldrew wrote: »
    Hope you're right but I'm sceptical and it will cost a lot more than 14M for that by pass.

Thinking the same,the report in the paper had it wrong.The money is for the national roads in the county with €850k for the upkeep of smaller roads.

• Advertisement

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Long way round. At least an extra 70 km, also most of the N/M11 is a major commuter route. If anything it should have been the other way around.

Advertisement