Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 to finally get upgrade between Ashford and Arklow

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2014/minister-varadkar-publishes-transport-tourism-sport-priorities-2014
    Monday 6th January 2014

Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport Leo Varadkar has published his priorities for 2014 with a target to increase the number of journeys taken by public transport by five million (2%), a new motorway in the West, renewed focus on safety on our roads and at sea, a further 4% increase in visitor numbers to build on The Gathering, and preparations for a formal bid for the Rugby World Cup.
    Construction to begin on Gort-Tuam Motorway and progress the next bundle of PPPs to tender (Wexford);

spacetweek wrote: »
    Long way round. At least an extra 70 km, also most of the N/M11 is a major commuter route. If anything it should have been the other way around.

I think was what was under consideration at one point. The N11 would have passed to the west of Enniscorthy, rather than to the east as is now planned. I presume there would have been an interchange somewhere south and west of Enniscorthy, with motorways/DCs to Waterford/Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jd wrote: »
    I think was what was under consideration at one point. The N11 would have passed to the west of Enniscorthy, rather than to the east as is now planned. I presume there would have been an interchange somewhere south and west of Enniscorthy, with motorways/DCs to Waterford/Wexford

Isn't the Enniscorthy bypass going both East & West of the town? One side to link up with the N30 & the other to rejoin the N11 near Oylegate with a link road & new bridge crossing the Slaney at Solsboro?

zerks wrote: »
    Isn't the Enniscorthy bypass going both East & West of the town? One side to link up with the N30 & the other to rejoin the N11 near Oylegate with a link road & new bridge crossing the Slaney at Solsboro?

Yes, it is. But I gthink they looked at having the mainline of the N11 to the west of the town, instead of to the east. It's quite a long time ago now, and quite moot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is it possible the dual carriageway before Rathnew bypass can be redesignated Motorway? I see a bus stop and the exits look a bit short but could it be a motorway most of the way back to Exit 11 Graystones Kilcoole Kilpedder?

It couldn't be classed as motorway currently. Most junctions are not grade separated, while bus stops would be removed and not certain but going by other motorways there is some sightlines issues on some of the bends. Would require a lot of upgrades to be motorway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement