Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex Ireland international John Thompson to retire after savage onfield assault

• 30-04-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

This is a sad story. I've met John a couple of times after Forest matches and he seems a lovely guy. Have a signed jersey of his too. He and Andy Reid both made their Ireland debuts against Canada at Lansdowne Road in October 2003.

The thug that did this to him should never have been allowed on a football pitch again. A two week wages fine and pathetic ban for hospitalising THREE opposition players! Makes me sick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22350078
    Scarred Mansfield defender forced to

Mansfield Town defender John Thompson has been forced to retire from professional football at the age of 31.
    He has never fully recovered from the mental scars left by a terrible facial injury suffered in 2011 which broke his nose and needed nearly 60 stitches.
    Ex-Republic of Ireland international Thompson said: "I have desperately tried to get back playing to my full potential for almost two years now.

"When I eventually got back playing after overcoming most of the physical issues, I soon realised I was doing things which I wouldn't normally do on the pitch. Panic attacks were common and I would not be able to sleep before games."

Dublin-born Thompson, who won three full international caps, began his career with Nottingham Forest as a trainee and played 148 games during a six-year spell at the City Ground from 2001.
    He joined Oldham Athletic in June 2007 after a loan spell with Tranmere Rovers and then returned to Nottingham with Notts County in October 2008.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Ah was at that match where he made his debut for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He is a cousin of a mate, very nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Ah was at that match where he made his debut for Ireland.

I was there too. The two Forest boys making their Ireland debuts, we was proper proud. :D

Andy Reid won MOM too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He had a trial in MLS with Portland as well but didn't get picked up. Was a decent defender in his Forest days.

Sad to see.

Edit: Your man Ricketts is still playing for the same club I see - http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Gary-Ricketts-puts-seal-victory-Ilkeston-gain/story-18577686-detail/story.html#axzz2RxC1KK58

And a bit of further digging - http://www.ilkestonfc.co.uk/first-team
    NAME: Gary Ricketts (Striker). DOB: 13th July 1975. BORN: Nottingham.

The talismanic striker became Ilkeston FC’s first-ever professional signing in June 2011 when he rejected offers from higher-level clubs to link up again with Kevin Wilson. Goals - and controversy - have always featured prominently throughout his colourful career after starting out with Arnold Town and including Hucknall, Tamworth, Nuneaton and Hinckley among a long list of clubs. He top scored with 23 last year to become a key component of the promotion-winning squad. That won him a place in the Evo-Stik Division One South ‘Team of the Year’ and he has since agreed a new one-year deal.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He had a trial in MLS with Portland as well but didn't get picked up. Was a decent defender in his Forest days.

Sad to see.

Edit: Your man Ricketts is still playing for the same club I see - http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Gary-Ricketts-puts-seal-victory-Ilkeston-gain/story-18577686-detail/story.html#axzz2RxC1KK58

And a bit of further digging - http://www.ilkestonfc.co.uk/first-team

From the match report

"The abrasive veteran front man had already put in challenges which left Richie Sutton with a suspected dislocated collarbone and Martin Riley requiring stitches in a facial wound.

But the final straw came when he inexplicably slammed John Thompson two-handed into the plastic and metal of the fencing surrounding the pitch which he hit head first which left the Irishman badly bleeding with a nasty cut across his nose and concussed.

The Irishman was down for a long time as the referee tried to other prevent players squaring up to each other."

Scumbag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Sounds like he is a bit soft to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

TheNap wrote: »

Spoken like someone who has never picked up a serious injury playing a sport, well done. Returning is just as hard mentally after you are cleared physically, can you imagine how bad it must have been if it required 60 stitches?

Oat23 wrote: »
    Spoken like someone who has never picked up a serious injury playing a sport, well done. Returning is just as hard mentally after you are cleared physically, can you imagine how bad it must have been if it required 60 stitches?

Em you're quite wrong there but entitled to your opinion . From a personal point of view , i found coming back from a bad facial injury easier than a lot of others . Each to their own i suppose .

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The Mulk wrote: »

But the final straw came when he inexplicably slammed John Thompson two-handed into the plastic and metal of the fencing surrounding the pitch which he hit head first which left the Irishman badly bleeding with a nasty cut across his nose and concussed.

I thought the thread title would turn out to be hyperbolic, but that's just thuggery.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

And i thought it was an injury . It was an assault . The person who done it deserves some jail time . Thug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

read this earlier on BBC, what a scumbag.

puts alot of things into perspective when you see the war over Suarezs biting or Rasicm or Rooney saying f*cking what and clapping a ref, they are mother theresa style incidents compared to this one.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Em you're quite wrong there but entitled to your opinion . From a personal point of view , i found coming back from a bad facial injury easier than a lot of others . Each to their own i suppose .

Spoofer. A hard man behind the keyboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Ricketts was banned for 2 weeks and fined 2 weeks wages. Outrageous. Surely that attack warranted a more sever punishment than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pics or GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Did you have to eat through a straw for a month? Or have to get an operation on your nose to help you breathe through it again?

Genuine questions cos your attitude here is pathetic. He was assaulted on the pitch which left him with psychological issues too. It's never going to be easy to get back playing football again after something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Some of the most pathetic trolling I've ever seen and on these boards, that's saying something.

Advertisement