Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Florida Golf Resorts?

Options
  • 30-04-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My daughter is interested in a programme that organises jobs in Florida Golf Resorts, for 6 months. Typical jobs would be waiting staff or chef positions. Has anyone worked in one of these places? I've checked the company's website but I would like to hear from any Irish students that may have worked there, to see what it's really like!

Thanks....( from an anxious Mother :rolleyes:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Moved to United States forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Is she a student and would be working there on a J1q duriung the summer? Or what kind of visa is the employer getting for her? How much does the company want to organise this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

My brother worked in golf clubs in Florida a couple of times. They sorted out his visa for him. he had nothing but good things to say about it. Good money, nice accommodation, nice people etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Drawda Girl

It's not J1, it's H2B. The american company deal with a recruitment company here. They don't ask for money, in fact they pay for the return flight. I'm just wondering about the working conditions/time off etc. It sounds like a great experience, but can't help wondering why they would come to Ireland & other countries, when there must be plenty of students looking for work in Florida!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Many students in the US either have summer school, or want to go home for summer if they study elsewhere, or to travel. Ireland makes sense because native English speakers, and Americans love the Irish "true friendlyness"- usually pay isn;t great but you can get tips. I don't know anyone who worked in Florida gold resorts specifically, but it sounds legit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I have two friends working in a country club in Florida at the moment. Two others were over in the past as well. They allloved it, as said, Moneys not amazing, but it is legit and they'll have a good time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

silja wrote: »
    Many students in the US either have summer school, or want to go home for summer if they study elsewhere, or to travel. Ireland makes sense because native English speakers, and Americans love the Irish "true friendlyness"- usually pay isn;t great but you can get tips. I don't know anyone who worked in Florida gold resorts specifically, but it sounds legit.

It's true that they specifically look for Irish staff for whatever reason.
    In my brothers case he received decent enough pay, free accommodation, car and meals.
    It was a policy of the club that customers didn't have to tip however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Drawda Girl

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. I feel a bit more reassured now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sortedmuch

Did your daughter go in the end? I am thinking about this myself and would love to know how she got on

Advertisement