Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

familiar question?

• 30-04-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

HI all, here's a familiar question i'm sure that you are all sick of answering. How to gain weight? I'm about 6ft 2 and weigh just over ten stone. I am sick of looking like a twig and want to be able to fill my clothes for once and for all. I am currently in the process of joining the gym in which I hope the trainers will guide me in the right direction but in relation to food and eating, this is where I fall down!I have a what I call a great appetite but still never feel full? I read in some of these threads that one fella eats 4 egss for breakfast obviously for protein? Is this right? It seems to me to be a lot anyway I would appreciate any help with this! and also where is the best place to find the right advice in relation to this? Any success stories that you have come across? THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Eat more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I have a what I call a great appetite

If you did you wouldn't say something like this
    I read in some of these threads that one fella eats 4 egss for breakfast obviously for protein? Is this right? It seems to me to be a lot anyway

So do this
    Eat more

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭E mc kiernan

Token, at no time did i ask was it possible to eat four eggs, i asked is it right as in is it healthy??????its not that long ago that i remember hearing that an egg ( one single egg not four) a day was ok? has anybody got some useful information that i can take on board or is it just this cra@??

In fairness, the quality of the answers reflect the quality of the question.

"I read in some of these threads that one fella eats 4 egss for breakfast obviously for protein? Is this right?"

Yes, it is correct that some fella ate 4 of them for protein. You didn't ask if it was healthy (it is fine btw as part of an overall diet)

If you want to just put on weight you need to eat more, its that simple. If you want to achieve something else then you need to ask the right questions.

neither did i ask was it possibe that amount either!I think by reading the post anyone with common sense could figure out what i was asking.

• Advertisement

I think by formulating a proper question people could assist you, that's not what you are doing though.

Good luck, you seem to know it all already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Eat more is not a crap answer its the best answer because the only way you will pit on mass is by training and, wait for it, EATING MORE!! ;-)

Im about 5'11" and weigh 96kg, i train hard and this is a usual day for me

7.30am Big bowl of porrage with 2 spoons of penut butter and honey

Protien shake with 500ml low fat milk

10 am Nuts

1pm 2 large chicken brests and about 500 gram salade

3.30 pm more nuts

6pm 2 more big chicken fillets with 400g approx stirfried veg or cabbage/broccolli (i ad some rice/baby potatoes or noodles on training days)

9.30 protien shake with 500ml low fat milk and small bown of porrage ( sometimes after training ill have a steak and salad because ill be starvin!!)

Throughout the day i might have a spoon or 2 of peanut butter if i feel a bit hungry.

I drink about 4 lyra of water a day too

My brother who trains with me is about 5'9" and 76kg and he eats about the same but with more rice thrown in. He is trying to put on weight

how often during the week do you train and what training do you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

I think OP is wondering if four eggs a day is healthy. The general consensus on eggs is that they are fine. Some areas of the media have not really caught on to this due to lazy hackery. There was something a few years back about with Oxidised cholesterol if they're scrambled and left out in the open for ages but the link between dietary cholesterol and increased serum cholesterol is nowhere near as damning as it was once believed to be.

Do you like milk?

yes i like milk, i am fairl good as in regards to what i will eat. red meat,chicken, fruit veg etc only thing i dont eat a lot of is fish!i am also taking a whey protein shake twice daily with milk but seems to have little or no effect?I read that some people like to eat every two hours, is this a major factor as i couldnt with work

• Advertisement

how often during the week do you train and what training do you do?

Monday night chest, triceps and abs

wednesday night back and biceps

Friday night shoulders, triceps and abs

Sunday afternoon LEG DAY!!!! :-)

I also try do at least one early morning half hour sprint session before work and i do some cardio after sessions sometimes if i have time. Gym sessions are about an hour and a half training with a partner.

To reply to your question about eggs, they are fine! I would often on a sat morning cool a 6 egg omlet with mushrooms, peppers, tomato, chicken and a bit of cheese! I use 3 full eggs and the rest egg whites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

OP what sort of training program are you following? What exercises are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Not so long ago I was in your spot posting threads in the Health & Fitness forum about weight gaining etc.. You need to sort out your diet. I weighed in at 155 pounds in February, I now weigh in at 168-9 pounds morning weight. Find out what macro-nutrients you need for 1. Maintaining your current weight and 2. How many you need to gain weight. Second is easy really, add 500kcals you need to your maintenance and see if you need to add more if you don't gain weight. My foods today so far/will look like this;

8am;

150g porridge w/ 300ml full fat milk
    Protein shake w/water
    2 spoons of peanut butter- Awesome stuff, if you don't got it, get it!

10:30am;

100g of mixed nuts- Almonds, cashews, pistachios etc.. Unsalted.

12:30pm:

100g porridge w/water
    Pint of milk

2:30pm;

1 large chicken breast sprinkled w/ cheese
    300g of mashed potatoes
    50g broccoli- Keep the greens in your diet.

4pm;

GYM

6pm;

Protein shake
    Same meal as 2:30pm (I cook in excess for later, it's just handier that way)
    Milk

7:30pm;

Home-made weight gainer.

Recipe for the past week is this;

2 spoons of peanut butter
    3 bananas
    Pint of milk (may need more)
    Ice cubes
    Scoop of whey
    2 scoops of ground oats

I think it's about 1300kcals but I must do my maths. Much healthier for you then the sugar filled sh*t you buy online that leaves you overly bloated with that sick feeling in your stomach.

Home-made weight gainers are awesome cause you get to have loads of foods you like and can experiment with different combo's. If you struggle to keep eating throughout the day then limit your fats cause they're harder to digest. I've noticed that a lot lately with me that drinking so much full fat milk leaves me with a full stomach and won't let me eat more. Then again, peanut butter and nuts in general are full of healthy fats which won't leave you so full you couldn't eat again in an hour or so.

Morale of the story, eat more and train hard.

Ridley your home made weight gainer looks class! I must pass it on to the brother because id say its right up his street!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

OP You should set up an account on a food tracking app/site. I use Myfitnesspal.com. I used to say that I ate enough food and didn't know why I never moved from 9.5-10 stone.
    Turns out I was only getting in about 1600-1800 calories a day. At first I found it hard to eat more food but once I started lifting weights properly, I had a better appetite.
    I've upped my calories to 2500-3000 calories a day. I find some days I slip back into old habits of missing meals but I'm now 11 stone and hoping to gain another stone ( although my bodyfat level is on the up as well).

Track your food for a few days and I think you'll find you're not eating a lot of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Ridley a bit of honey and some greek yogurt goes very well with a drink like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

aaakev wrote: »
    Ridley your home made weight gainer looks class! I must pass it on to the brother because id say its right up his street!

Do, it's awesome to get the calories in and tastes unbelievable. You can substitute the fruits for the likes of frozen strawberries, mixed frozens etc..
    Ridley a bit of honey and some greek yogurt goes very well with a drink like that.

Hmm, I do like a bit of honey, I'll be making it in a few minutes I'll add some in and post back with my results. I've no greek yogurt here at the moment but I'll get some and again post back.

Thanks for that, just joined the calorie counter site today just to give me a better idea of what i need to do!currently my only workout i get is at work which is fairly physical but i am looking in to joining the gym to improve overall.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have a what I call a great appetite but still never feel full?
    To me this is contradictory, if I never felt full I would say I had a poor appetite, as I was unable to eat enough to be at the point of fullness.

You can go for more calorie dense food. You can do the opposite of what dieters do. e.g. eat quickly, and pick no-filling (volume wise) food, your body registers its food intake about 20mins after eating, you can wolf down lots without getting too full. Nuts are very high, so is coconut, you could add dessicated coconut to your shakes. I used to eat 1000kcal bowls of muesli (not trying to gain weight). Peanut butter sandwiches washed down with pints of whole milk.

Advertisement