Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit City Series 10K Run May 12th - Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rrunner1

Was looking for a thread on this myself, and wondering about the course, looks slightly different to great Ireland run in the second half? Might be wrong though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nope different course to the GIR, looks like a two lap course.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

I think it's the same course as the aware run at christmas and the operation transformation run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Here is the course - http://youtu.be/aY9JjNkZDnY

Sign up at www.fitmagazine.ie if you haven't already. Don't forget to avail of our discounted entry rate of €25. Simply enter the discount code "cityseries2013" at the shopping cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rrunner1

It this course the same as aware 10k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭G-unit10

Hey I'm doing this on Sunday, just wondered what numbers can be expected? Doesn't seem to be much boards activity on it anyhow. Does anyone know if there will be any pacers? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Same course as Aware 10K (2 x 5k loops), wouldn't normally expect pacers for that distance, maybe somebody else can confirm?

I doubt there'll be pacers. Very few races wil provide pacers for a 10k. Would be very confusing to have pacers on a two lapped course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Mark Christie 30.17,
    John Coghlan 30.26,
    Dan Mulhare 30.34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

They had 1+6,2+7,3+8 and 4+9 km marked together,the km markers couldn't have been the same for the 2nd lap,it wouldn't really have taken too much more effort to mark each km individually.
    it took me 4 mins to hit the 1 k marker but 5-6 k took much longer than that:confused:

• Advertisement

Are the full results for this up anywhere?

What were the numbers like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Are the full results for this up anywhere?

Irish independent tomorrow, precision had the gig so will probably on their site on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Say there was 600-700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Results are up at Precision Timing

631 finishers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

vitani wrote: »

631 finishers.

Shocked at the lack of depth outside of the lads going for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

There was much competition on the day from Lucan Harriers 5k, Kildare 10/Half/Full marathons. This would have diluted the quality at all races. I did the Kildare 10k and a sub-40 time would've got you in 8th place

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

vitani wrote: »

631 finishers.

Seems like a bit of a flop!

PaulieC wrote: »
    There was much competition on the day from Lucan Harriers 5k, Kildare 10/Half/Full marathons. This would have diluted the quality at all races. I did the Kildare 10k and a sub-40 time would've got you in 8th place

I can understand this but nearly a 4 minute gap between 5th and 6th in any race is huge atleast in Kildare it was the fact the race didnt attract quicker runners as you saw a fairly steady stream of runners come in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

ecoli wrote: »
    I can understand this but nearly a 4 minute gap between 5th and 6th in any race is huge atleast in Kildare it was the fact the race didnt attract quicker runners as you saw a fairly steady stream of runners come in

I saw that alright, crazy drop between the fist 4 or 5 lads at 30 -31 then the next finisher was 4 mins back! In a 10k thats unreal. I think the few boys up front were drafted in specifically to raise the profile of the race. Had they not been there Aoife talty wouldve won outright.

I ran the race yesterday. At least that's what I'd call the first 5K :rolleyes:

It did very little to promote running but I cant see the average jogger seeing the difference or caring about the race being overly commercial.

It's just a sign of the times that the most successful races use social media and other forms of advertising. Great races like the recent Tallaght 5K have no advertising and as a result only get a few club runners taking part.

The top 5 lads and ladies were clearly there to race each other for the €800. They all ran well and earned their cash but

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I saw in the Indo online today something about "hundreds of runners", I'm not sure how many the organisers were expecting but maybe they're a little disappointed with the turnout ?

gmurran wrote: »
    It's just a sign of the times that the most successful races use social media and other forms of advertising. Great races like the recent Tallaght 5K have no advertising and as a result only get a few club runners taking part.

With respect to Tallaght how can you call their race a great race?
    Tallaght did little in advertising their race,social media eg facebook free and flyer drops to local running shops and gyms needed.
    Also sending group emails to other clubs helps.
    It takes years to grow a great race like Rathfarnam 5k,Ballycotton 10mile,Sportsworld 5 mile,Raheny 5 mile ect

The Kildare races had no AAI permits. Lucan Had their Race date in well before the Fit Series 10k which seemed to come out of nowhere and amazingly has the AAI insignia thereby breaking the rule of not handing out 2 Dublin permits the same day and undermining an established club race.

Tallaght did little in advertising their race,social media eg facebook free and flyer drops to local running shops and gyms needed.
    Also sending group emails to other clubs helps.
    It takes years to grow a great race like Rathfarnam 5k,Ballycotton 10mile,Sportsworld 5 mile,Raheny 5 mile ect

To be fair there was more of a push this year on advertising. While no actual page was set up specifically for the event on fb the flyer was advertised on fb and sent to a list of no less than 1000 runners roughly, local news paper ads taken out (not sure about Irish runner this year but I know there was some last year) as well as flyers being handed out in races across the country (Craughwell was one example)

There was a much greater push this year compared to last and race actually saw lower numbers.

(Speaking as an outsider here as I was not a part of the race organisation aside from handing out leaflets at races)

I just meant the Tallaght race was well organised, good course and enjoyable on the day. I couldn't fault them.

You have to appeal to a broader demographic of casual joggers, walkers, runners to get the numbers or tap into the local community as many of the Meath series do.

Anyone doing this Sunday?
    Any discount codes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Anyone doing this Sunday?
    Any discount codes ?

Theres a thread for this years race here man:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057162472

I'll be there but Im running around with a mate who'll be aiming for 45mins

Advertisement