Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year property

Options
  • 30-04-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Advice on how to proceed please -

I am just over 4 years in a property and agency are asking for another 12 month lease with a 6 month break clause. I am looking for a house now and would like to be able to give a months notice straightaway if I find a house or whatever is the law. I dont want to be stuck to a 6 month deal if I want to leave next month(not that that is on the cards this soon but Id like the security)

Agency asked would I like a part 4 tenancy but that it would mean 56 days notice. Id rather the 6 month deal and be able to give 1 month notice than that.

Landlord seems to be absentee and never around, never does up the place. My rent is always in on time and take care of the place, etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Your options are to either sign the lease and with the option of leaving after the 6 months are up (but you cannot terminate the lease during those 6 months), or dont sign the lease, go onto a part 4 tenancy which obliges you to give 56 days (8 weeks) notice. Legally you cannot expect to be able to give one months notice in any scenario, unless you have previously agreed this with your landlord.

Your best option is the part 4 tenancy.

If you do choose to sign the fixed term lease you have the option of reassigning the remainder of the lease to another party should you wish to leave. This means that you find a suitable tenant to take over, you bear the financial cost of this and are responsible for any financial shortfall the landlord may experience.

Advertisement