Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Born in UK- what are my US visa options?

Options
  • 30-04-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

As an adult born in England, I don't think I can apply for the diversity lotto. With a BSc in computing and two years relevant work experience, what would my options be for emigrating to the USA? I have some aunts/uncles out there. I'm not in an American company, so couldn't apply for a transfer with this job.

Apologies if this isn't the thread for my query!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Post split from general DV lottery thread ****

Aunts and uncles aren't close enough family, you'd need a parent or sibling over there to qualify.
    You can apply for US based jobs, if a company want you badly enough they will petition you for a work visa. Your chances are better if you can get more work experience, especially in obscure computer languages or some other hard-to-get experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

My chances aren't looking good in the near future so! Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You dont mention whether you are an Irish citizen or not, just that you were born in england.

The lottery is presumably available to Irish Passport holders regardless of their birthplace. In other words there arnt different categories of Irish citizen.

I'm an Irish citizen, but a quick glance at the visa website indicated it was based on birthplace, or parent's birthplace for a minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

TPD wrote: »
    I'm an Irish citizen, but a quick glance at the visa website indicated it was based on birthplace, or parent's birthplace for a minor.

Thats interesting.

It doesnt seem fair though.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Thats interesting.

It doesnt seem fair though.

Yeah, I had assumed it was based on citizenship, and always had it on the back burner that I should enter the lottery.

Advertisement