Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway House Prices

Options
  • 30-04-2013 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Here we go again with Auctioners hype about house prices on the rise, you would be a fool to go along with what they say about the prices going up, they are putting property on the market at the lowest price they can do, then it goes to auction and sells higher than the lowest price and hey presto they are going up again, the National trend is still going down.

Who can forget the headline they used to come out with in the bad old days " Your last chance to buy in this most sought after area " putting young people into a panic to take out loans and now look where they are today.

Totally irresponsible in my humble opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there an article we are supposed to be discussing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Aerohead wrote: »
    Here we go again with Auctioners hype about house prices on the rise, you would be a fool to go along with what they say about the prices going up, they are putting property on the market at the lowest price they can do, then it goes to auction and sells higher than the lowest price and hey presto they are going up again, the National trend is still going down.

Who can forget the headline they used to come out with in the bad old days " Your last chance to buy in this most sought after area " putting young people into a panic to take out loans and now look where they are today.

Totally irresponsible in my humble opinion.

I agree with you. Don't trust the reports. It's all spin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Well we have the property price register now so we'll see what happens to it over the next few months.
    Although its lack of details can make good comparisons difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Wompa1 wrote: »

Exactly, the piece points out they are rising according to estate agents, hardly an unbiased source!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

These auctions are a con job, did you see the AMV they put on the properties....joke....shows one thing Auctioneers are crap at their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 45,487 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Prices may well be rising in certain neighbourhoods across the country. The problem is the way the media reports it makes it seem it's across the board. Don't believe the hype.

I can't see house prices rising for a while. Banks are giving out very few mortgages for a start!

Check the property database to get a true reflection on selling prices.

http://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/pprweb.nsf/PPR?OpenForm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

“Knocknacarra is as popular as ever, and there is a real shortage of good quality homes on the market there – that’s proven by the fact we are seeing two or three bidders on each quality house for sale, and prices have risen.
    “Three-bed semis there were down to €150,000 a year ago. Now, they’re selling for between €180,000 and €200,000. Four-bed semis would have been down to €180,000, and now they’re selling for north of €200,000 in some cases, particularly those with the extra side room or converted attic.
    “In many instances, we’re seeing properties selling for €10,000 to €15,000 above the asking price, because there is so much interest.
    So we're seeing between 10 and 30% increases in knocknacarra in one year are we Niall. In fairness, i don't think so, i really really don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

McTigs wrote: »
    So we're seeing between 10 and 30% increases in knocknacarra in one year are we Niall. In fairness, i don't think so, i really really don't.

Agreed, that's a load of nonsense. Houses are overpriced in Knocknacarra. I've seen some of the same houses on the market for a long time without shifting, even at reduced costs. Statements about popularity and increases are just propaganda by vested interests hoping for an increase in house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I heard them saying this on the radio the other day, and I remember hearing the same thing months before. But the overall tally was prices being the same or down more.

It all sounds like bul**** to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Knocknacarra is as popular as ever, and there is a real shortage of good quality homes on the market there – that’s proven by the fact we are seeing two or three bidders on each quality house for sale, and prices have risen. Three-bed semis there were down to €150,000 a year ago. Now, they’re selling for between €180,000 and €200,000. Four-bed semis would have been down to €180,000, and now they’re selling for north of €200,000 in some cases, particularly those with the extra side room or converted attic.
    dloob wrote: »
    Well we have the property price register now so we'll see what happens to it over the next few months.
    Here is a summary of the property price register information for 2012 - there were 37 properties sold in Knocknacarra. Only 5 went for 150K or less. 18 went for 180K or less, but we can guesstimate that a lot of these would be three beds. The rest went for over 180K.
    dloob wrote: »
    Although its lack of details can make good comparisons difficult.
    A very good point. It doesn't tell you how many bedrooms are in the property or whether it's an apartment or house or, if it is a house, whether it's terraced, semi-detached or detached.

All it tells you is " Second-Hand Dwelling house /Apartment". Helpful, eh? :rolleyes:

Now what vested interest does the lack of detail suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Wompa1 wrote: »

It is all spin but Bertie would tell you to commit suicide.

Lets look at the so called "fundamentals"
    * Banks are not lending
    * People's disposable income decreasing (e.g. property tax)
    * Number of mortgages in distress going up and up
    * Unemployment remains high
    * No growth in the economy
    * Emigration of young people (1st time buyers) very high. Non nationals also leaving in droves
    * Lots of properties empty (was it 250,000 units nationwide last year?)~
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/itll-take-us-43-years-to-fill-all-empty-houses-26863864.html

Why would house prices rise? Supply & Demand.
    In fact I think they have a fair bit to fall yet.

zarquon wrote: »
    Agreed, that's a load of nonsense. Houses are overpriced in Knocknacarra. I've seen some of the same houses on the market for a long time without shifting, even at reduced costs. Statements about popularity and increases are just propaganda by vested interests hoping for an increase in house prices.

Agreed, I also think the quality of the houses in Knocknacarra is poor. Many new houses thrown up without good sound insulation or thermal insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Why would anybody believe anything an auctioneer would say?
    It's 100% self propaganda in my opinion.
    Agree re banks not lending you'd probably need a very steady job and about 20% down payment to get a mortgage from a bank now.

ted2767 wrote: »
    Agree re banks not lending you'd probably need a very steady job and about 20% down payment to get a mortgage from a bank now.

Only people buying these days are (a) older people (50+) that were not caught on the 'false' property ladder and (b) public servants (especially the older ones) who have the safest and better paid and pensioned (important) jobs in the economy now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

what's the job situation,a house is only as valuable as the rent
    you can get for it,the banks this summer can start taking back properties,
    banks are still not lending

only big cities will prices rise

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭4th horsemen

I don't think house prices will go up anytime soon, even when things start getting better I'd imagine they will stay in and around at the same price but will not be going up anytime soon.

As mentioned: Property tax, Water Charges, Stamp Duty for 1st time buyers now and also no more Mortgage interest Relief for any house bought from 2013 and will be done away with altogether (incl. people who have it now) in 2017.

ted2767 wrote: »
    Why would anybody believe anything an auctioneer would say?
    It's 100% self propaganda in my opinion.

Some people believe anything :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MilionMilesAway

The bigger question is how can a paper print such a onesided article. Anyone who is foolish enough to go out and make the biggest investment of their lives after reading an article in a 4mm thick paper that costs a euro, then they deserve everything they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mr.donkey

Been following the housing market in Galway for the last 5 years, my experience is that 12 months ago you would be able to throw in an offer of 10%-20% below and asking and have a fair chance of coming to a deal. At the moment prices would be holding around asking, there is certainly alot less leeway for bargaining. My experience is only in the Salthill/Knocknacarra area.
    Prices appear to have stablised in the `good` areas of the major cities across Ireland, rural dwellings still appear to be falling...

• Advertisement

mr.donkey wrote: »
    Been following the housing market in Galway for the last 5 years, my experience is that 12 months ago you would be able to throw in an offer of 10%-20% below and asking and have a fair chance of coming to a deal. At the moment prices would be holding around asking, there is certainly alot less leeway for bargaining. My experience is only in the Salthill/Knocknacarra area.
    Prices appear to have stablised in the `good` areas of the major cities across Ireland, rural dwellings still appear to be falling...

So how many houses have you made offers on? Or was it research?

Stick up a few links to back it up

I would respectfully respond Rarnes1 that I did make some offers but the ins and outs of that are noone elses business. I am commenting on the thread because it is something I have direct recent experience of in a part of Galway city, people are free to take or leave my opinion. There is a good level of affordability now after the huge drop in prices over the last 5 years, I wouldn't expect a super soaraway market to redevelop until the banks are fully recapitalised (20??), and please God such a market never does redevelop, but I'd be surprised to see any more price drops in the areas previously outlined

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

The bigger question is how can a paper print such a onesided article.

I'm guessing that certain auctioneers take out some nice big ad spaces regularly so that might 'influence' what is written.... that's a total guess though.

I would respectfully respond Rarnes1 that I did make some offers but the ins and outs of that are noone elses business. I am commenting on the thread because it is something I have direct recent experience of in a part of Galway city, people are free to take or leave my opinion. There is a good level of affordability now after the huge drop in prices over the last 5 years, I wouldn't expect a super soaraway market to redevelop until the banks are fully recapitalised (20??), and please God such a market never does redevelop, but I'd be surprised to see any more price drops in the areas previously outlined

I wasn't asking for the exact details of your offers.

You are suggesting house prices are stabilising. I'm just asking you to back it up with facts.

Otherwise it's just your opinion.

Ranes1, you did ask for details of my offers "So how many houses have you made offers on?". I am suggesting house prices are stabilising in `good` urban areas, that is my feeling from being interested in the housing market in Galway, it is my opinion exactly as you suggest, I am posting on this forum for that very reason. There was other (very good) message boards on the issue of housing that delve into the minutia

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The reason that prices may be stabilising in desirable areas (if they are at all) is because there is a dearth of supply in those areas for a number of reasons:

1. Who wants to sell at the very bottom of the market? (other than those who absolutely have to)
    2. Banks will not/can not reposess houses in substantial arrears (this will change in the coming 2 years)
    3. People may want to sell to move elsewhere but cannot due to negative equity.

This all means that the housing market is not functioning normally and therefore any stabilisation we are witnessing is based on a very incomplete sample.

The reason that prices may be stabilising in desirable areas (if they are at all) is because there is a dearth of supply in those areas for a number of reasons:

1. Who wants to sell at the very bottom of the market? (other than those who absolutely have to)
    2. Banks will not/can not reposess houses in substantial arrears (this will change in the coming 2 years)
    3. People may want to sell to move elsewhere but cannot due to negative equity.

This all means that the housing market is not functioning normally and therefore any stabilisation we are witnessing is based on a very incomplete sample.

Nail on head. Housing market is broken.

However I do not think we have hit bottom yet at all. Many houses still over-valued. The house prices are kept "artificially" high because of #3, #2 and #1 (perception only) above. People also expect debt forgiveness to come into play soon and are waiting to see how they can avail of that (e.g. selling with negative equity loss).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

but I'd be surprised to see any more price drops in the areas previously outlined

is the boom getting boomier?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Birroc wrote: »
    * Lots of properties empty (was it 250,000 units nationwide last year?)~
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/itll-take-us-43-years-to-fill-all-empty-houses-26863864.html
    That Indo article is such sh1t. If there is an oversupply, then why are rents going up?

The problem, as always, is that there's an oversupply in places where people don't want to live. In "centres of economic activity" as NAMA calls them (Dublin, Cork City and Galway City) rents are going up, therefore no oversupply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I went to see a house in Galway that had a guide price of 160,000 Euro, now this was a big five bedroomed house with a tiled and landscaped front, a big back yard with a chalet, this house came fully furnished , now I am no auctioner but I knew that this guide price was insane it should at least have been over the 220,000 Euro mark, it sold at auction for 320,000 Euro. is this another way for Auctioners to say that the prices of houses are on the way up by putting in very low cost guide prices and the they sell at a higher price and hey presto we are out of the gloom in property prices.

Advertisement