Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway House Prices

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Were you listening to local radio this morning?.. because that is exactly what happened. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Aerohead wrote: »
    I went to see a house in Galway that had a guide price of 160,000 Euro, now this was a big five bedroomed house with a tiled and landscaped front, a big back yard with a chalet, this house came fully furnished , now I am no auctioner but I knew that this guide price was insane it should at least have been over the 220,000 Euro mark, it sold at auction for 320,000 Euro. is this another way for Auctioners to say that the prices of houses are on the way up by putting in very low cost guide prices and the they sell at a higher price and hey presto we are out of the gloom in property prices.

I viewed this house as well, Carbry road in Newcastle, Galway.

The AMV was keen, 160k for a 5-bed semi with chalet. The location was good, close to UCHG and NUI Galway.

However, the house had issues: planning compliances issues, some asbestos, gun barrel piping, etc. Nothing major, but not hassle-free.

Also, it backs onto Corrib Park.

I expected it to go for more than 160k, maybe 200-220k.

I couldn't believe the 320k achieved at auction. Insane price, which can't be supported by rental income, in my opinion.

Geuze wrote: »
    I viewed this house as well, Carbry road in Newcastle, Galway.
    Don't forget it's placed right next to the end of the N6 and adjacent to the flight path of helicopter paths to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Geuze wrote: »
    I couldn't believe the 320k achieved at auction. Insane price, which can't be supported by rental income, in my opinion.
    even 2 grand a month wouldn't justify that price.

Plenty of repairs and enhancement needed to as you pointed out.

The market is all over the place.... i'm seeing very mediocre houses in ordinary locations get big prices and fantastic houses at what i would think are very reasonable prices not sell at all.

There's no cohesion and asking prices are all over the palce too. There was three pretty identical houses on the same road in shantalla last year, one 121k, one for about 175k and one for over 200k. I must check the register to see what they actually sold for. I'd say most house on daft aren't really for sale, just kiteflying.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

I looked at that house as well, when I got there even the wife said to me they have the guide price set at a silly low, how in Gods name could you buy a fully furnished five bedroom for 160k, it is very misleading whats going on.

Im not saying this is happening but I was at an auction of household and electrical items a few years ago, every time something good came up this guy in the back would put up the hand to start off, as more people bid and the price went up your man was quite until the hammer was about to come down he would bid again therby putting up the price further, this guy never purchased any item. hmmmmm I wonder :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Chicken1 wrote: »
    I looked at that house as well, when I got there even the wife said to me they have the guide price set at a silly low, how in Gods name could you buy a fully furnished five bedroom for 160k, it is very misleading whats going on.
    Looking at it from an investment point of view i wouldn't want to be paying much more and to be honest 320k is absolute suicide.

Break it down 5 beds rent at 250 each pm so €1250
    By 11 months to allow for vacancy €13750 per year
    Deduct property tax, PRTB reg, repairs and renewals, insurance and other misc costs and you're down to €11,000 which is only 6% on a 160k investment.

If the new owner is planning to rent it out they'll only be making 3% on 320k. You'd get that on deposit in the bank for doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Wonder has it anything to do with the poltergeist house behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

There will always be a number of cases like carbry rd where mad prices are paid by a few ill-informed, overbidders thinking they're back in 2005.
    There will also be a number of bargain deals done in the market, but a lot of these in poor areas and/or needing big works. In general though prices should remain low or decline further over next few years.
    Factors to consider include the buy to let sector that will load onto the market when banks go on the hunt, and depress prices further.
    NAMA still have a lot of properties to offload over next 18mts.
    Emmigration.
    Austerity.
    Unemployment.
    Eurozone recession.
    Confidence!

Was €2.1m in October 2007 now a measly €660k in June 2013
    That's ↓ ~69%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's ↓ ~69%

Tell him he's dreamin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Birroc wrote: »
    Tell him he's dreamin :)

The second link is to a Property Price Register site and shows that the house actually sold for €660k.

I think it's still overpriced at that, but somebody was prepared to pay it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

The second link is to a Property Price Register site and shows that the house actually sold for €660k.

Are you saying that the sale in 2007 never went through? Given that the Property Price Register only records sales since January 2010, the 2007 sale would not be listed there.

To think that someone was prepared to pay 2.1 million for a terraced house in Galway during the boom, makes me feel queasy. It's an unpleasant reminder of how out of hand things got.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Are you saying that the sale in 2007 never went through? Given that the Property Price Register only records sales since January 2010, the 2007 sale would not be listed there.

To think that someone was prepared to pay 2.1 million for a terraced house in Galway during the boom, makes me feel queasy. It's an unpleasant reminder of how out of hand things got.

Could have been sold by the 2007 buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is there even a parking space with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There at it again now with the Bal in Salthill, guide price 350k for f..k sake its a huge building three bar levels in the middle of Salthill, thats going to go for a lot more than that, they will be on the radio the next day saying prices are on the way up, guide price is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

It did sell in 2007 http://archive.galwayindependent.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2463&Itemid=95

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mr.donkey

Apartment in Ocean Wave, Salthill, for sale for €160,000 AMV, same apartment 2 doors down sold for €155,000 a year ago, there have indeed been huge falls in the high end of the market but the middling to good properties seem stable now...

That was my understanding but JohnFalstaff seems to suggest otherwise.

Perhaps he could clarify.

That was my understanding but JohnFalstaff seems to suggest otherwise.

Perhaps he could clarify.
    It sold for €660,000 recently - it's in the property price register as of June 2013.

Ok, for everyone who keeps quoting me as if I disagreed with the original post, here's it is:
    That's ↓ ~69%

I read this as follows:
    1) 10 St Mary's Terrace sold for 2.1 million in 2007
    2) It sold again for 660k in 2013

My reading of John Falstaff's post was that he appeared to be saying that the sale in 2007 didn't go through and that it didn't sell until 2013 i.e "the house actually sold for €660k". I wondered what he was basing that supposition on, that's all.

• Advertisement

I read this as follows:
    20 It sold again for 660k in 2013
    that's my reading of it too

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Ok, for everyone who keeps quoting me as if I disagreed with the original post, here's it is:

I read this as follows:
    2) It sold again for 660k in 2013

My reading of John Falstaff's post was that he appeared to be saying that the sale in 2007 didn't go through and that it didn't sell until 2013 i.e "the house actually sold for €660k". I wondered what he was basing that supposition on, that's all.

I was referring to Birroc's comment in post 41: "Tell him he's dreaming." I was pointing out that 660k was the price the house actually sold for, not an asking price.

The house was by all accounts previously sold for 2.1 million in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Such rubbish.We are currently looking for a 3 bedroom house to rent and there's nothing and If there Is It's either way too expensive or not suitable :(

11 Bayview Court, Loughatalia Road
    €150,000 Apartment for sale|4 Bedrooms|2 Bathrooms

Is it just me or is that just cheap? Considering slightly more luxurious two beds a few doors away are asking €1800pm in rent
    Any idea how much the management fees are?

Is it just me or is that just cheap? Considering slightly more luxurious two beds a few doors away are asking €1800pm in rent

I saw a 2 b/r with €1500 charges on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Its just you.
    Overpriced, undersized box, with "Excellent living accommodation" and a view of an army barracks.
    "Excellent living accommodation" my arse.
    How comfortable could the occupants of the FOUR bedrooms be, in a living area that small?

Dwarves need accommodation too y'know!
    It sounds too cheap tbh given it's around the corner from Eyre Square

I saw a 2 b/r with €1500 charges on it.
    They should be required to put the current management fees in the advertising tbh

They should be required to put the current management fees in the advertising tbh
    ya odj are normally quiet good with that. A quick call to them will clear it up for you. I also notice at the end of the ad they say the asking price is 220k.

• Advertisement

ya odj are normally quiet good with that. A quick call to them will clear it up for you. I also notice at the end of the ad they say the asking price is 220k.
    They've reduced it significantly to €150k which is why I think it is cheap.
    Maybe my sense of value is disorientated

Advertisement