Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety levels have lowered since quitting

• 30-04-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Hi

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this on giving up, but since quitting in January this year, I feel less anxious and really think I put less thought into the negatives in life. I really believe it's because I no longer loiter outside the building I work in at lunchtime puffing on a fag and procrastinating, worrying about this and that while I'm smoking. I noticed it a few years back when smoking, as soon as I lit up I would feel anxious, worry about literally every negative thing in my life, and end up lighting another one straight away as soon as I finished the first one, thinking it would help me to get over the worry....not realising it was probably the action of smoking the first one that got me worrying in the first place...Vicious circle, and a pumping heart rate.

I am not saying I don't ever worry now...just less than I used to when I smoked. Of course there were the "fun" cigarettes too, that first one on a Friday evening with glass of wine in hand, think I will always miss that one. But it's worth it to feel less dizzy, disorientated and over-anxious now. Just thought I would share that, as another reason to stop smoking for anyone wrestling with the idea. Oh and the xtra cash is fantastic too. Still crave them when drinking but that's it pretty much. Good riddance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Oh I totally agree with you.

I actually felt like being a smoker was a stressful thing - but I only noticed when I quit. I wasted so much of my life wondering when I could have my next cigarette. Everything was planned around the next smoke. Weddings, funerals, exams, restaurants, cinema, taxi rides, public transport, other people homes, the gym - you name it, I couldnt do it without thinking when I could go for a smoke around it. It was such a constant mental presence.

And yes, I would reflect negatively while smoking too.

Its much more relaxing not being a smoker!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

i still smoke
    and i agree , although i have no wanting feeling to give up at the minute
    i can certainly agree with you, i think its because when you smoke, your mainly thinking in your head while having a smoke

main thing for me is when im having a smoke is thinking about money and how much i have left for the week for smokes

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭livinonaprayer

Couldn't agree more. It's part of the whole evil trap, it keeps you constantly worrying about health issues and generally makes you feel weak for giving in to the evil weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Thanks for the replies. I was beginning to think maybe I was the only one who felt that way. I know I'm a natural born worrier anyway, they just seemed to make everything worse whilst running thru my head while smoking though! I spend less time standing around alone now since quitting so maybe that's what's helped. I am having mad dreams at the moment too now, 4 months after quitting, I don't know if that's what it doing it but they're mental. Good luck everyone anyway. :o

Advertisement