Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Secondhand Campervan

Options
  • 30-04-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

Looking for some advice, Im planning on buying a second hand campervan from overseas. Its is a professionally converted camper with all the requirements for a camper(stoves,seating,permanent bed etc). It is registered in England as a camper.

How does this work when I am trying to register here? Do i have to get it inspected as a conversion or just register here as a camper and pay VRT on it as such?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

There should be no problem as it's already registered as a camper in the U.K. Just take it to your local customs and excise office and be ready to appeal against the VRT figure they ask you for:D.

Insurance broker might want an engineers report though. If they do then you might as well get that done first.

There are plenty of threads on here on this subject.

Happy motoring and welcome aboard if this is your first camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kudo

Thanks for the reply. Thats good news. Are they normally that bad with VRT figures? Should be getting it this weekend so looking forward to it. I've had a small van conversion before.

Let's just say that I've yet to hear of someone who was happy with the VRT that was asked for!. And you have to pay it before you can appeal it!.

I started a thread a while ago and most responders had, like myself, received a refund of, if my memory serves me right, around the 18% mark.

If by some strange coincidence you are happy with the amount asked for I would suggest that you still appeal. As they appear to have no real system for calculating VRT the more people who appeal the better.

There are plenty of threads on VRT, the earliest one I could find for you is on 28/03/13, but believe me there have been a lot if you have the time to scroll back.

Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

They put a fair valuation on my conversion, the father in law was overvalue by about 7,000 on his hymer. Their valuations tesnd to be higher than the highest 'asking' price in the dealers. Totally out of touch with the real value.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mhen66

Hi Kudo. good luck with the process. I have a an appeal against vrt lodged at the moment. Going on for about 6 weeks now. No news yet. The valuation in my case was outrageous. I started a post on this a while back

• Advertisement

That time frame sounds about right Mhen66, I've just gone back through my paperwork.
    I sent my appeal in on the 6th Oct., received acknowledgement on the 9th Oct. and received a refund on the 2nd of Dec.

It's a government department so of course there's no rush:(. Also, in your case, they're probably having trouble finding enough money:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

To be honest I'm surprised anyone is importing, we'd always be watching the prices in the dealers abroad and to me they seem better value here!

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    To be honest I'm surprised anyone is importing, we'd always be watching the prices in the dealers abroad and to me they seem better value here!

I'm sure you're right, but when I was looking 4 years ago I couldn't find what I wanted here so had no choice. I'm sure this must be the same for others. Obviously much easier to buy over here.

I agree with Irishgoatman. I would much prefer to have bought here but I could not find what I wanted. There is good value here but not so much with dealers,. Good value in UK with private sales also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bugrake

I've imported 2 campervans and 2 cars from the UK.

Sometimes it's about value, sometimes it’s about choice. At first glance things look a lot cheaper, but factor in travel, time, exchange rate and other extras and the margin starts shrinking. It's hard to say no when you have done all the organising and you get there and it’s not quite what you were led to believe...

Get a good one and it's worth the hassle.

• Advertisement

Just an update. I'm a happy camper again. Just got word back from Revenue on my VRT appeal. Believe it or not, they went 100% with my appeal and agreed that the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price) was nine thousand less that they initially stated which I had argued in my comprehensive appeal. The refund will be approx 43% of the VRT charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kudo

whoa thats a big climb down for them

My faith has been somewhat restored in so far as I believe I am paying VRT which is a fair reflection of the value of the camper. Im not sure if I would buy abroad again but thankfully my appeal met with a fair adjudicator !

Well done indeed Mnen66, now let's all keep our fingers crossed for kudo.

Advertisement