Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Question

Options
  • 30-04-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question about ESB. I just moved into an apt last Friday, the estate agent transferred my details onto the ESB account from the date we moved in, they also provided a reading to the ESB from last Friday as well and I rang up yesterday and setup direct debit (300 euro deposit charge if I didn't).

The first bill is on the 29th of May. Should I check the meter again between now and that date (think the meter is located on the ground floor of the building) or will I only be billed on my usage?

Could someone explain as I'm completely new to this. If for example, the previous tenant used a lot of electricity, could I be charged a lot as well based on the previous bills from the apt or can the ESB see exactly how much has been used from the date we moved in as they have the reading from that date?

Could someone explain how it will work?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

when you get your bill it will either be from a meter reading taking by esb or an estimate, if its an estimate it usually has an E on the bill. If its done by estimate you can call them with your actual meter reading and they will adjust it so dont panic if you get a large estimated bill. Once your there a few months they usually get fairly accurate with the estimates but always check against your own readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Absolutely check your first bill if it is an estimate. My first ESB bill was estimated and worked out nearly three times more expensive than it should have been!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

why is it that esb ask for the 300euro bill without direct debit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cheers for the replies. I found my apt meter on the ground floor last night. Both the day and night readings are just under half of what all the other apt's are.

Would I be able to get around this estimated bill if I rang up once or twice this month and provided a reading each time? That way, they'd know exactly what the meter was for the month.

Can I just provide the reading over the phone or do they need proof?

To answer the question about the 300 deposit, if you're a new customer (no history with ESB) and don't set up as direct debit, they charge a deposit which apparently is refundable after 14 months (although I'm pretty sure you can get it back after 5 days if you set up a direct debit). The 300 was automatically on my account as I had not setup a payment type but as soon as I did, it disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies. I found my apt meter on the ground floor last night. Both the day and night readings are just under half of what all the other apt's are.

Would I be able to get around this estimated bill if I rang up once or twice this month and provided a reading each time? That way, they'd know exactly what the meter was for the month.

To answer the question about the 300 deposit, if you're a new customer (no history with ESB) and don't set up as direct debit, they charge a deposit which apparently is refundable after 14 months (although I'm pretty sure you can get it back after 5 days if you set up a direct debit). The 300 was automatically on my account as I had not setup a payment type but as soon as I did, it disappeared.

The ESB usually (well in my apartment) call out every second billing cycle to take a reading themselves. So all of the bills wont be estimated anyway.

You can of course phone in the reading to them every billing cycle but they will still come out to double check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

tootsy70 wrote: »
    why is it that esb ask for the 300euro bill without direct debit
    Because its easy for you not to pay, with a DD they are nearly guaranteed there payment . Fairly standard practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

shuffles03 wrote: »

Hi Shuffles03,

Yes, customers who pay by direct debit do not incur the security deposit, and as you say, if it has been charged to their account, will be reversed automatically once they set up direct debit.

With regards to your reading queries: readings and estimates by ESB Networks are scheduled, and cannot be cancelled. Sending in readings throughout the two months will sometimes trigger an ad hoc bill also (and these bills do not cancel out the scheduled bills) so we would recommend just sending the reading immediately after a bill is issued based on an estimate, which will trigger a replacement bill.

ESB Networks endeavours to read each meter four times per year (subject to accessibility of the meter) and the remaining two bills are based on estimates.

Readings can be sent to us a number of ways, including by private message here on Boards.ie. We are on Boards 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, so if you wish to submit a reading outside of those hours, you can do so online/via telephone or via app.

Do let us know if you require any further assistance.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement