Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Seal Apprentice Application on IEC

Options
  • 30-04-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking for help or advice from anyone who has the answer.

Im currently in Canada on the IEC visa, and have been granted the next 2 years. Im working in a kitchen at the moment and my Head Chef has said he wants me to take the Red Seal apprenticeship programme sponsored through the job, which obviously Im thrilled about.

My problem is Im on the IEC visa which has the study condition. I have rang the Immigration office and they have said that because its less than 6months of technical stud in an institute I can HOWEVER because my duties are more than 50% manual labour I need the job to complete the LMO.

Ive read its possible to change my conditions on my visa to allow the study?Is their a simpler way to be able to start the apprenticeship programme or will I need to go ahead and get the LMO?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

You have to be a pr to do an apprenticeship in some provinces in canada which one you in?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

In Alberta. Im very confused Haha

In alberta its utter hardship ya have to have pr to do any apprenticeship they told me with an lmo that would not suffice. they wont even count my years as an apprentice here in Ireland. let us no how ya get on lad all the best

Calgary22 wrote: »
    In alberta its utter hardship ya have to have pr to do any apprenticeship they told me with an lmo that would not suffice. they wont even count my years as an apprentice here in Ireland. let us no how ya get on lad all the best

Thanks man. Ill be speaking to the immigration office again. Need to get better clarification on it. Ill let you know what happens.

Calgary22 wrote: »

Hey man so I rang the Irish Canadian Immigration Office and the CiC and they have confirmed that apprenticeships are ok if they are provided on the job and less than 6 months of learning inside an institute per year! Happy Days!

• Advertisement

Mate its not them you want to be contacting its these guys they are over the apprenticeship and red seal

http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/

It states on the bottom you need to be PR when ya contact them let me no what they say as i contacted them last week and they said no about an apprenticeship haha

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

I'm hoping its okay to post here as this thread is a couple of weeks old.

What was the outcome of this OP? my boyfriend would like to do a carpentry apprenticeship, but we were also told you have to be a PR to do that here too. He is currently working as a labourer in Alberta, but would like to progress.

Were you able to get around this and start your apprenticeship?

Advertisement