Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freeview tv in Ireland

Options
  • 30-04-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there,
    can anyone help.
    We have a 12 volt self tuning tv with freeview (we live in Cornwall). Does this equate to saorview?
    I know we can get freeview in the North but was wondering about the Republic...........
    cheers
    norma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Saorview is a different (higher) standard (DVB-T/MPEG-4) than standard Freeview. Without knowing the specs of the TV it's hard to say, but as a rule of thumb standard Freeview TV's generally won't work (will give sound but no picture), but if it's FreeviewHD there's a good chance (but not definitive) it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 norma.h

Hi there,
    Thanks for that. Ours is MPEG-2 so I guess not.
    Do you happen to know if a saorview box would work with the tv? Might not be worth it as we don't watch much tv anyway!

You can get receivers - your TV would need a scart or hdmi connection. They're not as cheap as Freeview receivers in the UK though. A freeviewHD box might be an option to look into - depending on the spec it would probably work here, and at least you'd get use of it at home too. Depends how important TV is for you, and how long you're going to be here to be honest. You'd probably be better asking about specific recievers in the Terrestrial TV forum on here (Tech --> Cable & Digital TV --> Terrestrial). There's proper TV experts in there, rather than bluffers like me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

norma.h wrote: »
    Hi there,
    can anyone help.
    We have a 12 volt self tuning tv with freeview (we live in Cornwall). Does this equate to saorview?
    I know we can get freeview in the North but was wondering about the Republic...........
    cheers
    norma

Saorview Irish TV and Radio stations only, received in the Republic of Ireland (& parts of NI) by using an aerial.

Freeview picked up using an aerial throughout the UK (with a little spill over) into the Republic along the border with NI.

Free to Air Can be picked up across the UK and the Republic using a satellite dish. All UK stations and their various regions available
    BBC South West regional + ITV South West (Devon, Somerset & Connwall) + all UK radio stations + many Irish radio stations too, RTE inc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 norma.h

Thanks for all that everyone. Think we may well just stick with the radio!
    norma

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

LordSutch wrote: »
    Saorview Irish TV and Radio stations only, received in the Republic of Ireland (& parts of NI) by using an aerial.

Freeview picked up using an aerial throughout the UK (with a little spill over) into the Republic along the border with NI.

Free to Air Can be picked up across the UK and the Republic using a satellite dish. All UK stations and their various regions available
    BBC South West regional + ITV South West (Devon, Somerset & Connwall) + all UK radio stations + many Irish radio stations too, RTE inc.

Free to air interests me, I assume this is the sort of thing you can pick up in B&Q, what about using it on 12 volt though....are there set ups for this?

What I really need is advice about what TV to get for my Camper.... I intend using it within Ireland but also in the North and the UK, so would need Saorview AND Freeview to do this.... free to air sounds ideal if it can be got in a 12v format...i'm a real novice at this, so explain in words of one sylable or less please... :-)

corktina wrote: »
    Free to air interests me, I assume this is the sort of thing you can pick up in B&Q, what about using it on 12 volt though....are there set ups for this?

What I really need is advice about what TV to get for my Camper.... I intend using it within Ireland but also in the North and the UK, so would need Saorview AND Freeview to do this.... free to air sounds ideal if it can be got in a 12v format...i'm a real novice at this, so explain in words of one sylable or less please... :-)
    Lidl and Aldi occasionally have kits for the Satellite. The dish is a bit small really for Ireland, however, many report using it fine. And even if you upgrade the dish, the 12v Free To Air receiver is apparently a good price. I think one of them had them was just a few weeks ago, so you might get lucky if you try your local stores.

A Soarview TV should do Freeview too (but you would need an aerial) - iirc some of the walker TV's have a 12v input and a lead is available, again if I recall correctly. You'd only need the 12V TV and Receiver if you are going off hook really.

This is year 3 of us campervanning, and we still haven't got around to getting a TV, or even moving one out for trips. The 'van came with a satellite dish, wall mount etc, and we just haven't bothered as of yet. Better things to be doing when we're out and about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i rarely will be hooked up as it will be venues such as Classic Car shows and Heritage Railways I'll be visiting so 12v is essential...where would be the best to loo for a walker TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Power City seem to have them all the time.
    Probably (although don't hold me to it) the cheapest too.

edit; their 19" version seems to be only 220v, but.....it's listed at 25W so any inverter should run it.

Advertisement