Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the name?

• 30-04-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Dear All,

Could someone identify this plant because my mrs is looking to buy one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

Phragmites comes to mind but probably wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That is pampas grass. Cortaderia selloana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

cheers guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Definitely pampas -- and unless you have a big garden with no small children/grandchildren I'd try to persuade herself to get something else. They need a lot of space and the leaves are very very sharp - not the sort of things you want to be brushing up against every day. We have several and the annual cutting back means dressing up like a bee keeper to avoid being slashed to bits. Maybe some nice grasses instead -- they dont have the plumes etc but the effect can be nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I read somewhere that in the 70's if you had one in your front garden it was a sign that you were a swinger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

had one too. steer clear. or don't. will guarantee one thing though, unless you've got a huge garden where you can leave it in isolation, you will be digging it up and dumping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Cortaderia selloana

Advertisement