Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reasonable maintenance on social welfare

• 30-04-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anybody could give me an idea of the approx. maintenance I would receive in circuit court if my ex-h is unemployed (job seekers). Know it varies from case to case but just looking for a rough guide.

3 kids (6-10). Ex rents own home and has access 1 day a week by choice. I work part time (so no childcare cost), pay mortgage and usual bills and not in receipt of FIS etc.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 AlejandroKa

Off the top of my head the maximum amount the District Court can order each parent to pay is €150 per week per child and €500 per week for a spouse. There is no limit in the Circuit Court or High Court. You have to ask yourself if the District Court levels are sufficient for your needs.

If he is on a jobseeker's payment then you will be unlikely to get much money and the District Court will suffice. But then a judge will decide what is fair so that could literally be €20 per week or it could be €100 per week. It all depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

Thanks Alejandroka. As far as I was aware have to go through the CC as it was the circuit court that grated my Jud Sep and decided maintenance at the time. Maybe this in not correct - given the amount involved the district court would suffice! Would it be usual for the judge to award €0 for child maintenance if on Job seekers? Thanks again

What is he currently paying i.e. what is the current maintenance arrangement?

Court order is €10 per child a week (€30 a week total) but currently not paying anything. Prob a waste of time even going to court as he does not comply with any court order. That €30 is a big help though!

snor wrote: »
    Court order is €10 per child a week (€30 a week total) but currently not paying anything. Prob a waste of time even going to court as he does not comply with any court order. That €30 is a big help though!

It is very serious that he is not complying with the court order. You should apply for an Attachment of Earnings Summons which will mean the maintenance gets taken directly from his dole. You are also entitled to all the maintenance you were supposed to receive that he hasn't paid. Pursue it. Get onto your solicitor straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Court order is €10 per child a week (€30 a week total) but currently not paying anything.

That €30 is a big help though!
    Which?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Thanks Alejandroka. As far as I was aware have to go through the CC as it was the circuit court that grated my Jud Sep and decided maintenance at the time. Maybe this in not correct - given the amount involved the district court would suffice! Would it be usual for the judge to award €0 for child maintenance if on Job seekers? Thanks again

You are correct since a HC case last year it is not possible to remit matters to the DC from the CC. So of JS deals with maintenance then the DC can not vary it.

Thanks for clarifying. Meant the €30 would be a big help - used to pay it until January just gone but nothing since.
    Was unaware that can get an A of E from social welfare - thought it was just employer. Am concerned the judge may not get him to pay nothing at all as no doubt he will have a sob story about his new family etc. But sure getting nothing now anyway so worth the gamble! Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

You are correct since a HC case last year it is not possible to remit matters to the DC from the CC. So of JS deals with maintenance then the DC can not vary it.

What case was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

What case was that?

Case is from 2010 found here http://courts.ie/judgments.nsf/6681dee4565ecf2c80256e7e0052005b/bb7b6b58ea358c7d802577d90040a7c4?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,Brophy

The relevant bit of the judgement

"14. It would seem from this section that there is an originating jurisdiction to make maintenance orders in both the District Court and the Circuit Court. The District Court cannot vary or revoke any maintenance or variation orders made by the Circuit Court exercising its originating jurisdiction. However, the District Court can vary a maintenance order made by the Circuit Court in exercise of its appellate jurisdiction."

• Advertisement
Advertisement