Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a phone, mostly for skype/internet browsing

Options
  • 30-04-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

The phone I have is this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_i5700

I ran a few speed tests with my home wifi and am getting 4Mb/s which should be fine for browsing but it always seems slow and sluggish. To the point I often need to disable javascript and images and then it still feels slow.

It has to be pre-pay.
    I don't exactly have any other preferences apart from it needs to have a front camera for skype and isn't slow or sluggish when browsing. And it needs to be (ideally) less than 250 but I can go up to about 350 if it's really going to give me a much better performance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If you're using it at home, why not just get a laptop for that sort of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Well, I already have a laptop. One of the reasons I wanted a new phone is because the one I currently have is getting a bit too hard to text with since the cursor tends to move around a lot when typing, making it awkward. So I figured I might as well try to get a decent phone for a few hundred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The phone I have is this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_i5700

I ran a few speed tests with my home wifi and am getting 4Mb/s which should be fine for browsing but it always seems slow and sluggish. To the point I often need to disable javascript and images and then it still feels slow.

It has to be pre-pay.
    I don't exactly have any other preferences apart from it needs to have a front camera for skype and isn't slow or sluggish when browsing. And it needs to be (ideally) less than 250 but I can go up to about 350 if it's really going to give me a much better performance.

Speed is only half the story, latency is more important when considering Skype. Who is your provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Speed is only half the story, latency is more important when considering Skype. Who is your provider?

Well I did it with the wi-fi I have at home and it's with UPC, 50MB/s. The app I used didn't show what latency I have. And I don't have enough credit to check it with O2 But on my laptop it's around 17-20ms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Well I did it with the wi-fi I have at home and it's with UPC, 50MB/s. The app I used didn't show what latency I have. And I don't have enough credit to check it with O2 But on my laptop it's around 17-20ms

You already have a laptop, you're using the home network for data, you don't have enough credit to check data speeds, but you want to spend up to 300 quid on a phone to do what the laptop does, because the keyboard on your old one is broken?

I really don't get your usage scenario I'm afraid. Use the laptop and get a cheap phone for texting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement