Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home smoking

Options
  • 30-04-2013 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I've been planning on making a piece of smoking equipment out of a biscuit tin. Idea was to put it on hob / BBQ with oak chips in the bottom. Looked up oak chips on Amazon but can't get any without paying ridiculous postage rates.

Anyone know where I'd get some oak chips or have other ideas on how to smoke a bit of fish at home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

A lot of fishing shops do oak and other wood chips. Enjoy the smoking - lovely way to do food :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

B&Q had various wood chips next to their BBQs the other day. Didn't look too closely, so not sure about variety and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

The main thing is they need to be finely ground. I've seen course ones around alright.

Cheers, will check b&q and fishing shops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There have been previous threads on the subject.
    This is one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71338565

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

We home smoke all our own fish and I can't recommend it enough. We catch the fish too so it's a lovely experience going out to catch them and then hot smoking them for supper! If you have a friend who is into woodwork or makes furniture/wooden crafts then if you're nice to them they will be glad to give you lovely oak chippings or the chippings of any other wood they are using! If you know a local carpenter even just go in and ask them. They normally dump chippings so am sure would donate them gladly! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jawnuolis

Hi maybe anyone knows where I can get not treated hardwood sawdust in Dublin or Meath area? I tried to google but nothing come in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged

jawnuolis wrote: »
    Hi maybe anyone knows where I can get not treated hardwood sawdust in Dublin or Meath area? I tried to google but nothing come in.

For smoking? I got some in the fishing tackle shop in temple bar. Special smoke dust for abu smoker it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jawnuolis

budgemook wrote: »
    For smoking? I got some in the fishing tackle shop in temple bar. Special smoke dust for abu smoker it's called.
    Yes for cold smoking. With this stuff from tackle shop my smoking will be to expensive 6 euro for small bag it will be enough just for one o two loads in smoke generator and this dust may be to fine for my smoke generator. I need them in much bigger quantity 20kg bags or so and it should be course. To fine dusts not gonna burn it will be to dense.....

jawnuolis wrote: »
    Yes for cold smoking. With this stuff from tackle shop my smoking will be to expensive 6 euro for small bag it will be enough just for one o two loads in smoke generator and this dust may be to fine for my smoke generator. I need them in much bigger quantity 20kg bags or so and it should be course. To fine dusts not gonna burn it will be to dense.....

Okay this stuff is for hot smoking really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

budgemook wrote: »
    Looked up oak chips on Amazon but can't get any without paying ridiculous postage rates.
    use http://www.parcelmotel.com/

as an example, just with regular postage to the NI address for parcel motel:

applewood chips: £2.90
    £1.75 Estimated Postage & Packaging
    £4.65 Estimated Order Total

plus €3.50 for a stay in parcel motel, might just make it worth it for you rather than driving a long way to collect some.

EDIT: even better > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Wood-Barbecue-Smoking-Chips/dp/B004IQLLPA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373018379&sr=8-2&keywords=wood+chips

look for the "frequently bought together" option for all 3, or just pick 3 of whatever ones you fancy.

261278.jpg

works out at around €22 delivered (inc. parcelmotel) for 3 big (1.2L) bags of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Advertisement