Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling in the UK

Options
  • 30-04-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

First post so please bear with me.

I'm self employed and like a lot I'm trying to find additional ways of making a few quid.

I'm considering selling products into the UK. I've been told that once I sell to someone that's vat registered over there vat does not apply.I'm vat registered.

Can I claim the vat back on the products I buy from here?
    What if any would the customs/excise be?

The lady who does my books hasn't a clue,in fairness it would be all new to her.

I will ask an accountant but said I'd stick it up here first as I need to see is it viable before spending any money on it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

[QUOTE
    I'm considering selling products into the UK. I've been told that once I sell to someone that's vat registered over there vat does not apply.I'm vat registered.

Can I claim the vat back on the products I buy from here?
    What if any would the customs/excise Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

As you are VAT registered you do not need to charge VAT to a buyer in the UK as long as they are VAT registered and give you a legit VAT number. If you dont charge them VAT and it turns out they have no VAT number you will have to pay any VAT involved to the revenue here yourself.

If your customer is a private individual in the UK(as here) you need to charge VAT.

There is no customs/excise payable inside the EU.

I dont know what you mean by claim vat back on products you buy here. I assume as you are VAT registered and running a business here you know how the VAT system works. Did you mean "there" instead of "here" ?
    If so, any products you buy for your business in the UK will be VAT free as long as you give the company you are buying from your VAT number.

You would be well advised to get this all clear in your head before you start exporting. Your accountant or your local enterprise board would be well worth a visit.

Advertisement