Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trout fishing with worms

Options
  • 30-04-2013 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

hi folks,
    i just joined an angling club on the Barrow.
    Havnt done much trout fishing in a few years. Only got back into course fishing lately to get me out of the house and loving it:)
    anyway, whats the best tackle i should use? Hook size, line, lead shots? Looking forward to hopefully getting out at the weekend.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

i use 4lb line with a size six hook 1 AAA lead 2 in heavy water this is what i use all my years of fishing and it never let me down and try a size 1 silver mepps in the scowers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

i use 4lb line with a size six hook 1 AAA lead 2 in heavy water this is what i use all my years of fishing and it never let me down and try a size 1 silver mepps in the scowers

Good advice here but I'd go a bit lighter on the line, maybe 3lb Maxima Chameleon

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I'd use 6 or even 8lb line without any bother. And I'd go for a smaller hook than a 6.

Each to their own though. OP you won't go too far wrong with any of the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

no offense to anybody here, but 3lb - 4lb line seems crazy to me. the only time id go that light would be for dry fly fishing on a lake or river with no obstacles such as weed or low branches in the water. a 2lb wild brownie going down river with the current can put some bend in a rod.
    i like to fish for trout in a similar same way id fish for salmon. 10-8lb main line to a running jumping jack, with a 3 foot leader (8-6lb) running down to a size 4 or 6 hook. i adjust the weight of the jack so the worms are traveling down river as slow as possible. i find this method works best on medium to large size rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

once you play the them properly you wont loose them i cot a load of salmon this way when fishing for trout and once you play the fish right you wont loose him i thing with the trout some can feel heavy line and drop it this is only my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Braided line with an 8lb tapered leader joining a 6 lbs onto a 4 pound tippet will give u excellent presentation on the water for any bait u are using hope u can understand this method tight lines

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Dvae I fish the Barrow regularly and I would never use anything heavier than 4lb and use 2.5lb most of the time, I've landed fish to 6lb on 2.5lb BS, so once you're not trying to throw the fish twenty Yards up the Bank behind you when you strike, you'll be grand. And you also want the fish to have a fighting chance, fishing with 10lb line you could tow a Barge with is no Sport IMO.

dvae wrote: »
    no offense to anybody here, but 3lb - 4lb line seems crazy to me. the only time id go that light would be for dry fly fishing on a lake or river with no obstacles such as weed or low branches in the water. a 2lb wild brownie going down river with the current can put some bend in a rod.
    i like to fish for trout in a similar same way id fish for salmon. 10-8lb main line to a running jumping jack, with a 3 foot leader (8-6lb) running down to a size 4 or 6 hook. i adjust the weight of the jack so the worms are traveling down river as slow as possible. i find this method works best on medium to large size rivers.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

I use a 6 lbs line....size 12 hook, 00 meps

Advertisement