Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Help (Not sure which one, what's possible, etc.)

Options
  • 30-04-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

I just got word today that I've been accepted for an unpaid internship with a non-profit in the US this summer. The problem is that the start date is May 22nd, and I don't have a visa or anything sorted...

I was told by the organisation that they're unable to take an active role in helping me get the visa, besides giving me any information I need from them for forms etc.

So I'm not really sure what to do on the visa front, what my options are, and what I even have time for.

I'm a student in my final year, so I'm eligible for a J1. But would any of the J1 companies be able to sort this out in less than 3 weeks?

If J1 is off the table, I'm not sure what my other options are.

I'm guessing that I'm not eligible to go over on the visa waiver. Although it's with a non-profit, it's not a charity (it's a 501(C)(4) if that means anything to anyone). On this page ( http://dublin.usembassy.gov/need_a_visa.html ) it says I'd still need a visa if I "intend to accept paid or unpaid employment in the United States (also applies to au-pairs, interns, representatives of the foreign press, radio, film, journalist or other information media, engaging in that vocation while in the US)". But again, not 100% sure if this applies to me since it'll be in a non-profit.

I've read up on the business visas, and for any with a description related to my visit reasons it says the company/organisation would have to file a petition... which I guess is out of the question since, as I stated above, they don't have the resources to take an active role in my visa process.

So am I right in thinking that my only option is getting a J1 or getting in on a visa waiver, if they may allow that since it's an unpaid position with a nonprofit?

And, as I said above, if anyone knows if a J1 would even be possible to get in 3 weeks it'd be great if you could let me know.

I'll pop in to USIT in the morning and I guess ring the US embassy as well, but I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas at all.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Hi Mark,

A couple of points:
    • You CANNOT work on a visa waiver, paid or unpaid, profit or non-profit
    • You can apply now and hope to get a J1 within a month, I'm sure if the company is willing to wait 3 weeks to have you, there's room for another week or two, especially since you're organizing your own visa
    • I went with Intrax Internships a few years ago, they guarantee 3-4 weeks, I had mine within 2 weeks. Ask around at USIT or SAYIT and see what time estimates they can give you
    • Keep in mind it's currently J1 season, so the Embassy will be busy too. This might push the visa application to the full 4 weeks

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Hi Mark,

A couple of points:
    • You CANNOT work on a visa waiver, paid or unpaid, profit or non-profit
    • You can apply now and hope to get a J1 within a month, I'm sure if the company is willing to wait 3 weeks to have you, there's room for another week or two, especially since you're organizing your own visa
    • I went with Intrax Internships a few years ago, they guarantee 3-4 weeks, I had mine within 2 weeks. Ask around at USIT or SAYIT and see what time estimates they can give you
    • Keep in mind it's currently J1 season, so the Embassy will be busy too. This might push the visa application to the full 4 weeks

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it.

For the working under the visa waiver thing, I was referring to how it says here that volunteering is ok provided:
    • "You will participate in a voluntary service program that benefits a U.S. local community, and that you are a member of, and have a commitment to, a particular recognized religious or nonprofit charitable organization;"
    • "The work you are to perform is traditionally done by volunteer charity workers;"
    • "You will not receive a salary or any remuneration from a U.S. source, other than an allowance or other reimbursement for expenses incidental to your stay;"

But admittedly it was a bit of a stretch to suggest what I'd be doing would fall under this category.

After having a quick look at the intrax page, it seems it may not be applicable to me since it says internships must be in your field of study (mine won't be - I do a science course but the internship is a political organisation).

But at the same time it's encouraging to hear you were able to get something done in 3 weeks. I'll ask around the places tomorrow for sure.

Advertisement