Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming waste ground

Options
  • 30-04-2013 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Does anyone know how to go about taking in waste ground officially at the back of their house. I have like a field behind my house which is waste ground apparently. I checked with the land registry maps and there is not even a folio number issued for the ground, which means its not owned by anyone. I heard the unofficial way is to fence it in as part of your garden or put something on it like a shed, but I want it officially as part of my garden and have a folio number with it and not have to wait 12 years for an objection. Does anyone have any ideas how to go about it????

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Contact a solicitor. The laws concerning adverse possession changed recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 redneck001

smccarrick wrote: »
    Contact a solicitor. The laws concerning adverse possession changed recently.

I am trying to avoid spending money on legal fees, thats why i posted a question on this site:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

redneck001 wrote: »
    I am trying to avoid spending money on legal fees, thats why i posted a question on this site:rolleyes:
    On a site where giving legal advice breaches the charter?

Do you want everything for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

redneck001 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to go about taking in waste ground officially at the back of their house. I have like a field behind my house which is waste ground apparently. I checked with the land registry maps and there is not even a folio number issued for the ground, which means its not owned by anyone. I heard the unofficial way is to fence it in as part of your garden or put something on it like a shed, but I want it officially as part of my garden and have a folio number with it and not have to wait 12 years for an objection. Does anyone have any ideas how to go about it????

This is not correct, somebody somewhere owns the land, either it is not registered or on a different folio. The only way for you to officially gain this land is to find the owner and buy it.

Otherwise its a case of taking it over unofficially and waiting 12 years. Even then its very difficult to successfully make it yours legally this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

And also if it is public (council) land then I think the time is 30 years to gain adverse possession.

To achieve adverse possession like this the council would not have stood a foot on the land for 30 years. If they go to check it, change a lock on a gate, etc then the clock resets to zero, you have to have 30 years of uninterrupted possession of public land before you can acquire the land. AFAIK some travellers have achieved this in parts of Dublin but its pretty rare otherwise.

• Advertisement

RATM wrote: »
    AFAIK some travellers have achieved this in parts of Dublin but its pretty rare otherwise.

Thats why they changed the law. It used be 12 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 embireland

endacl wrote: »
    On a site where giving legal advice breaches the charter?

Do you want everything for free?

This guy is not looking for free legal aid, I think he is just looking for advice from someone who had the same issue and experience with waste ground beside his garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

embireland wrote: »
    This guy is not looking for free legal aid, I think he is just looking for advice from someone who had the same issue and experience with waste ground beside his garden.

Reads as if he is. Wants to claim land. Doesn't want to pay solicitors fees for advice on how to do so. What am I missing?

As Redneck001 has had their account closed. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement