Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of rental

Options
  • 30-04-2013 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

hey guys I have a question about the rental value of a house I am living in at the moment with this list of problems and I did not notice a lot of these problems until we moved in as they where quite well hidden.
    . No oil or central heating, all solid fuel not even an immersion.
    . loose plug sockets
    . holes in ceilings
    . back garden that we where recently told we cannot remove the overgrown bits.
    . flood damage
    un paintable walls.
    . radiators that do not work.
    .rodent and arachnid infestation.
    and a hole other list of problems I cant be bothered to write.

I just want an estimate the house in question is in Abbeyleix Co. Laois in Thornberry estate.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Rental value? Everything is worth what its purchaser is willing to pay for it. You were willing to pay X (although obviously you didn't inspect it properly- as a lot of the things you've detailed seem likely to have been very very obvious). You are paying X- so therefore the value to you was X. If someone else knows the issues and what they entail- perhaps they are only willing to pay a lower amount- how much? How long is a piece of string.

Btw- rental property has to be of habitable standard- as defined in the act. It might be a good idea to complain........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't know how some of those weren't obvious or you didn't ask about them.

Some seem a bit overblown. Spider infestation?

Anyway I would check the list of minimum standards rental property has to have as it sounds like it won't meet them. Then move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The first question out of a potential renter/buyers mouth is usually about the type of heating system in the house as it has the potential to be the biggest cost.
    I am also not sure how you failed to notice holes in the ceiling? They are pretty hard to hide.
    From the way you describe it I would say the rental value is zero as it sounds unfit for human habitation.

Are you living with the landlord? Are you renting or an owner? Do you have a lease? What is the duration of the lease? How long have you been living there? Without answers to these questions it would be impossible to advise you further.

Assuming you are renting and not living with the LL then
    Look at the terms of the lease particularly the landlord obligations. Here is a further list of landlord obligations where if these are not met then the LL is in breach of the lease. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/landlords_rights_and_obligations.html

You should outline the issues by letter and give him a reasonable amount of time to remedy them.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Seems like you are willing to stay but for a huge rental cut - is that the case? I wouldn't say there is much 'rental value' to the property other than what you agreed to pay yourself. For others, it may not be worth a cent to live in it.
    It could be easy to get out of there if you want, judging by the list of issues you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did you see a BER before you rented it?

Landlord should get the rodents looked at straight away, probably as a result of the back garden which unless he provided you with means to maintain is his responsibility,

To be honest the house doesn't sound habitable. Have you kids or a partner? I would not subject my kids or partner to conditions like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

The thing is it took six professional cleaners to clean the house before we moved in arranged by us, we also paid for the water to be fixed and then I cut down rose bushes that where dangerous for my one year old out the back, and he went home and had a little cry to his wife that the bushes had been cut down and she said she wants to visit now i thought that we where paying 500 euro a month for use of the house and the garden. So i am going to tell them il pay a lower rent if they don't want us to use the garden how we see fit.

The thing is it took six professional cleaners to clean the house before we moved in arranged by us, we also paid for the water to be fixed and then I cut down rose bushes that where dangerous for my one year old out the back, and he went home and had a little cry to his wife that the bushes had been cut down and she said she wants to visit now i thought that we where paying 500 euro a month for use of the house and the garden. So i am going to tell them il pay a lower rent if they don't want us to use the garden how we see fit.

Well you should never cut down rose bushes, that's pretty bad but the LLs don't seem to mind having you live in squalor. I'm wondering though why you even moved in to the place - it sounds inhabitable and did you not notice the rose bushes when viewing it?

Rasmus wrote: »
    Well you should never cut down rose bushes, that's pretty bad but the LLs don't seem to mind having you live in squalor. I'm wondering though why you even moved in to the place - it sounds inhabitable and did you not notice the rose bushes when viewing it?
    yes but when he said " its your house do whatever you like" it kind of gave me the the impression I could get rid of the dangerous rose bushes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

yes but when he said " its your house do whatever you like" it kind of gave me the the impression I could get rid of the dangerous rose bushes

There have been a few people asking on this thread a question you seem to be avoiding. Why on earth did you move in? By the sounds of it it is a dump and no fit place for you or a 1 year old to be living.

You are arguing about Rose bushes in a house that you claim is invested by vermin:confused:

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There have been a few people asking on this thread a question you seem to be avoiding. Why on earth did you move in? By the sounds of it it is a dump and no fit place for you or a 1 year old to be living.

You are arguing about Rose bushes in a house that you claim is invested by vermin:confused:
    Because everything can and will be fixed and il kill the mice and rats myself il do everything myself I've already done most of it its just I don't like how he whinged about some crap plants

• Advertisement

Because everything can and will be fixed and il kill the mice and rats myself il do everything myself I've already done most of it its just I don't like how he whinged about some crap plants

Is there more to this story than you've explained in the thread?

Is there more to this story than you've explained in the thread?

not really y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I don't get why everyone is telling OP this place is uninhabitable. We have no idea. The house is heated by solid fuel, a stove a presume which heats the radiators. Not great without a back up. But OP would have known this when he moved in. Loose sockets, c'mon, hardly makes it squalor, fixed in 2 minutes for 50c.. Same with spiders, and we don't know what is meant by holes in ceiling, unpaintable Walls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Rose bushes take a long time to cultivate. What you cut down was possibly a bush that took the landlord's or LL's family years if not decades to grow and nurture. That's possibly why he's 'whinging'.

There's a lot of very obvious problems that as others have said you really should have realised before you signed the contract.

When you say 'unpaintable walls' - is it that the walls are immune to paint or that the contract states you are not allowed to paint? (very common)

A spider 'infestation' is not really a problem to be fair. unless it's actually a literal infestation, which I doubt it is.

Flood damage?????

Aside from knowing more about that, Ask the landlord, nicely, to have the rodent problem sorted out and have somebody round to fix the radiators and the holes in the ceiling. Apologise about the Rose bush, tell him it won't happen again and shake hands.

I suspect that these issues are being massively over-exaggerated and details are being embellished, otherwise you never would have moved in, or at least would have moved out by now. As bad as estate agents are I doubt any of them would allow a young family to live on a house of horrors like the one you've alluded to in your OP.

I don't get why everyone is telling OP this place is uninhabitable. We have no idea. The house is heated by solid fuel, a stove a presume which heats the radiators. Not great without a back up. But OP would have known this when he moved in. Loose sockets, c'mon, hardly makes it squalor, fixed in 2 minutes for 50c.. Same with spiders, and we don't know what is meant by holes in ceiling, unpaintable Walls etc.

Rats in the house would make it unihabitable in my book.

Rats in the house would make it unihabitable in my book.

That's why we have independent advocates like PRTB and Threshold; to define what does and does not make a home uninhabitable, Rats in the house are a serious problem that would need to be resolved urgently by the landlord, but not one that would male a house by definition 'uninhabitable'.

Try that on your LPT form to avoid paying! :-p

bigneacy wrote: »

Try that on your LPT form to avoid paying! :-p

Neither here nor there - the thread is about a rental property with vermin and what not. Nothing to do with paying or not paying the property tax.
    There's no reason a tenant should stay in a place with rats (if this is actually the case) while waiting for a PRTB hearing!
    OP since you won't tell us why you moved in here in the first place, I'm guessing (and correct me if I'm completely wrong) that you came to an arrangement with the LL when you saw the place and now have buyer's remorse.

The landlord or his family didn't plant the roses he has never lived in the house the garden was not even touched for a year as that's the last time someone lived here I know all this because our neighbour told us today

Rose bushes take a long time to cultivate. What you cut down was possibly a bush that took the landlord's or LL's family years if not decades to grow and nurture. That's possibly why he's 'whinging'.

There's a lot of very obvious problems that as others have said you really should have realised before you signed the contract.

When you say 'unpaintable walls' - is it that the walls are immune to paint or that the contract states you are not allowed to paint? (very common)

A spider 'infestation' is not really a problem to be fair. unless it's actually a literal infestation, which I doubt it is.

Flood damage?????

Aside from knowing more about that, Ask the landlord, nicely, to have the rodent problem sorted out and have somebody round to fix the radiators and the holes in the ceiling. Apologise about the Rose bush, tell him it won't happen again and shake hands.

I suspect that these issues are being massively over-exaggerated and details are being embellished, otherwise you never would have moved in, or at least would have moved out by now. As bad as estate agents are I doubt any of them would allow a young family to live on a house of horrors like the one you've alluded to in your OP.
    you are more than welcome to come see the house if you think its not as bad as i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

you are more than welcome to come see the house if you think its not as bad as i say

We don't know how bad it is, as you haven't answered queestions such as what do you mean by unpaintable Walls or flood damage? In any case it's worth to you what you are willing to pay. You can ask the LL for a rent reduction, but he is under no obligation to comply.

• Advertisement

I'll be there in a hour. Put the kettle on.

I'll be there in a hour. Put the kettle on.

the plaster was badly damaged by a burst pipe is what I meant that answers both the questions and ok tea or coffee and all I have is a rich tea biscuit so you bring the goodies ? And sorry a series of burst pipes not just one they threw up some wallpaper how it sticks I do not know and he was looking for 550 I got him down to 480

Sounds like the only reason you're staying there is because the rent is low.
    Given the low rent, there is sod all incentive in it for the landlord to spend money on the place- it just doesn't make financial sense.

If you can afford it at all- I'd seriously suggest giving your notice and moving. There is plenty of availability in the general area- its not like this is the only option open to you (though something in better condition will obviously attract a higher rent.

S.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Sounds like the only reason you're staying there is because the rent is low.
    Given the low rent, there is sod all incentive in it for the landlord to spend money on the place- it just doesn't make financial sense.

If you can afford it at all- I'd seriously suggest giving your notice and moving. There is plenty of availability in the general area- its not like this is the only option open to you (though something in better condition will obviously attract a higher rent.

S.

I can afford it the money is not a problem its the whinge bag crying about his ****e roses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I can afford it the money is not a problem its the whinge bag crying about his ****e roses

what's the point of this thread

seannash wrote: »
    what's the point of this thread

I have come to the conclussion that im just a moany knob so I guess there is no point anymore it was originally To ask the value of the house im renting but then I trailed off to something else so there is no point it can be closed if anyone wants it to be

Fair enough.
    Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement