Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is it ok to leech wifi from your neighbour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Im curious about what sort of "emergency" would you need to be in the middle of to steal your neighbours broadband??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭johnolocher

What if your neighbour was a nonce & was downloading all sorts, it'd be your hard drive we'd see the guards removing in a plastic bag on the front page of your local paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

What if your neighbour was a nonce & was downloading all sorts, it'd be your hard drive we'd see the guards removing in a plastic bag on the front page of your local paper

This.
    Not to mention it'd be a pain in the arse playing call of duty and someone fires up utorrent hammering your connection.

No to stealing and no to sharing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I've a few elderly neighbours who have real trouble understanding the technology.

One couple have a son in Australia and wanted to be able to chat online as it was too costly on the phone.

Another just wanted to alleviate the boredom of a long day seeing nobody by checking out the online world.

I went around to their houses and set them up on my internet connection and installed key logging software and recommended them to use their credit card as much as possible.

I'm all the richer of spirit for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Need some new poll options, only if they are a complete dickehead, and only if they are stupid enough to set it up without a passkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I used to use dessid to get passwords when I had no data on my phone, this was just when I was out and about, leaching at home is a completely different story because its my data usage at home is much different than when I am out, heavy at hone and very light when out, you could end up giving your neighbour a rediculous bill or just eat into their bandwith which isn't cool at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

reaver -i mon0 -b 00:01:02:03:04:05 -vv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

In what way would it be ok? It can cause financial and legal consequences for them. It's also illegal in itself, carrying a penalty of up to 10 years.

Its like eating chocolate, you know its bad but you cant help yourself.
    Dont leech off the neighbours as I have my own secure bb. However when I am away or visiting people will connect my phone to whatever open wifi is available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

circadian wrote: »
    I still spot those old eircom routers secured with WEP. Someone made a web app to convert the SSID into hex which just happens to be the password.

I have no idea how they were allowed to be shipped to customers like that.

The guy who wrote it is a boardsie. It was a lot more complicated than just converting the SSID to hex. If I remember correctly it actually XOR'ed the SSID with lyrics from a Jimi Hendrix song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

do all routers not come with a default key set on it these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Only in a emergency, but since I live in the middle of the backend of nowhere, I have to rely on my own internet :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The fcukers next to me have their Wifi encrypted. Drat.

How inconsiderate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dunny wrote: »
    People with no WPA deserve to have it stolen.
    Einstein wrote: »
    I don't need to thanks to my super-dee-dooper connection....but If someone is silly enough not to password protect their wifi, they kinda deserve it

This mentality doesn't make sense.

If you don't have an alarm on your house/car you deserve to be robbed.

If you look like trouble, then you deserve to be harrassed by the Gardai.

If you're not able to defend yourself, then you deserve to be bullied.

etc etc.

The fcukers next to me have their Wifi encrypted. Drat.

How inconsiderate.

Encrypted with what is the question. Not all ciphers are created equal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

syklops wrote: »
    Encrypted with what is the question. Not all ciphers are created equal.

Interesting, I'm assuming there's a way around the padlock symbol jobbie? I'm all ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Take 1 cheap Linux box with Ethernet and wifi and have some fun...

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

Interesting, I'm assuming there's a way around the padlock symbol jobbie? I'm all ears.

What padlock symbol?

Do you mean HTTPS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

The guy who wrote it is a boardsie. It was a lot more complicated than just converting the SSID to hex. If I remember correctly it actually XOR'ed the SSID with lyrics from a Jimi Hendrix song.

Sorry, I oversimplified. Still, poor form from a customer viewpoint to have a router sent out with terrible security protocol. Especially since wpa is available on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Our WiFi had to be unsecured as my laptop refused to work with a password. Cue freeloader neighbours for a day or so..now it's protected by only allowing on authorised devices, works great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Unprotected is an invitation to use in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Our WiFi had to be unsecured as my laptop refused to work with a password. Cue freeloader neighbours for a day or so..now it's protected by only allowing on authorised devices, works great.

MAC address spoofing aint that difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

This mentality doesn't make sense.

If you don't have an alarm on your house/car you deserve to be robbed.

If you look like trouble, then you deserve to be harrassed by the Gardai.

If you're not able to defend yourself, then you deserve to be bullied.

etc etc.

Nope. Many devices automatically connect to open wifi hotspots - if it's open then it's for public use.

The real world equivalent is leaving the door open with a sign saying "all welcome".

If you were talking about hacking the password then you might have a point, but that isn't the case for open wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

..now it's protected by only allowing on authorised devices, works great.

That's not sufficient. Very easy to bypass a MAC address block list.

I have (on occasion) used open wi-fi in case of emergencies. While it is arguably the responsible party's fault for not ensuring their network is adequately secured, that doesn't necessarily mean it's okay to use it without their permission. Better to inform them of their oversight and help them rectify the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Or worse...WEP :rolleyes:

Richie are you saying WEP is sh*t???

WPA the way to go ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I believe you can get around some of the more rubbish passwords using Kali Linux (a newer version of the backtrack iso).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDl5Gt11u-Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I did it when my internet was down or before the router arrived. No harm in it really as long as your usage doesn't affect them in terms of speed or legally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

BBDBB wrote: »
    Im curious about what sort of "emergency" would you need to be in the middle of to steal your neighbours broadband??

An expenditure to cheap cuntiness ratio emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

BBDBB wrote: »

Your Broadband might be down and you might need to stroke the one eyed snake :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Richie are you saying WEP is sh*t???

WPA the way to go ya?

WEP is not recommended by anyone. Do a quick google (I wont put the links up here) and there are many sites that will give you the instructions to break a WEP key in under an hour.

WPA is the way to go as it is much more secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

heroics wrote: »
    WEP is not recommended by anyone. Do a quick google (I wont put the links up here) and there are many sites that will give you the instructions to break a WEP key in under an hour.

WPA is the way to go as it is much more secure.

Also forgot to say turn off WPS on the router (google this for your router) as there is a vulnerability that can allow someone to get the WPA key.

Finally use random letters and numbers for the password as there are online services that can compare your WiFi password against a DB of over a billion words and commonly used phrases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I overheard a guy telling his friend how to link in to his neighbours broadband. Not sure how I feel about it. What do others think?
    Don't complain when they use your creditcard details to buy you a russian gimp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

heroics wrote: »
    Also forgot to say turn off WPS on the router (google this for your router) as there is a vulnerability that can allow someone to get the WPA key.

Finally use random letters and numbers for the password as there are online services that can compare your WiFi password against a DB of over a billion words and commonly used phrases.

Mucho Grassy ass

My internets is now safer place for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

fussyonion wrote: »
    Sorry if this sounds stupid but how do you check?

I have no idea if someone is using my Internet, although someone said they can't if they haven't got my password, printed under the modem.
    Is there a way of checking if someone is using your connection?

Connect to your router's homepage, you should be able to see all connected devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

After moving into a new flat, smart telecom were fecking us around with the internet connection. It eventually took about 3 months to get hooked up. In the meantime we had a 'windsurfer' antenna picking up somebody's unsecured network from about half a mile away. The way I see it, if you drop loads of coins in a half mile radius of your house, don't be surprised if somebody picks them up and spends them.

TPD wrote: »
    After moving into a new flat, smart telecom were fecking us around with the internet connection. It eventually took about 3 months to get hooked up. In the meantime we had a 'windsurfer' antenna picking up somebody's unsecured network from about half a mile away. The way I see it, if you drop loads of coins in a half mile radius of your house, don't be surprised if somebody picks them up and spends them.

Hackers have been known to leave unsecured wifi hotspots running, then they snoop all the traffic from the suckers that connect. Probably not in rural Ireland tho :p

They can even snoop on secure ssl traffic is the user ignores the "untrusted certificate" warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

split the cost cooperative wi-fi for the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You've got to pick a packet or two ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Name and shame :p

Ideally, you need to use a randomly generated password to the maximum of the router and encryption method's abilities.

For example, if you go to Steve Gibson's website (perfectly safe and well known site)

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

There you can generate proper, secure and unique passwords for your router/mifi etc..

It should be along the lines of the following:
    63 random printable ASCII characters:
    i].Uh-imtDkRl}?+\1@Xh;Vz"CMnrNUD?T6/(`lk<Dz5"%05CY;Z1?:A_yL;.~T

..or if your router/mifi etc.. doesn't support the full character set/ASCII, then..
    63 random alpha-numeric characters (a-z, A-Z, 0-9):
    1xCf5XApkgtwBqHdPSqOxjWFrY9w5cHGPw118UK7JlafTIHQwl74qPCksbcYoI4

There's a brief enough explanation on the page about the science behind the numbers. (entropy etc..)

WPA is secure, but like any encryption method, the weakness is on the human side, so, if your password is, 'password', or, 'catcatcat', then there is a small chance of being vulnerable to a, 'dictionary attack'.

There are plenty of other router password generators online. Just Google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Amalgam wrote: »
    WPA is secure, but like any encryption method, the weakness is on the human side, so, if your password is, 'password', or, 'catcatcat', then there is a small chance of being vulnerable to a, 'dictionary attack'.

I'll set my home router to a easy to memorize 25 character phrase like "mycatisalittlefluffywuffy" and see how long it takes you to crack it with a rainbow list. I'm going to take a random stab in the dark and guess that it would be somewhere well past a century.

Your missing the point of a wifi password. People are supposed to be able to use it, share it and not spend half their day attempting to type it.

The same could be said for corporate password policy's, but some attitudes are harder to change.

I'll set my home router to a easy to memorize 25 character phrase like "mycatisalittlefluffywuffy" and see how long it takes you to crack it with a rainbow list. I'm going to take a random stab in the dark and guess that it would be somewhere well past a century.

Your missing the point of a wifi password. People are supposed to be able to use it, share it and not spend half their day attempting to type it.

The same could be said for corporate password policy's, but some attitudes are harder to change.

I'm not looking to pick an argument over this. How often would you need to input a password?

You use a short password, I'll maximise mine. No fuss.

• Advertisement

I'm not looking to pick an argument over this. How often would you need to input a password?

You use a short password, I'll maximise mine. No fuss.

That's fine, but don't try to make other people adopt your nonsensical habit.

http://xkcd.com/936/ edit: beaten to the obligatory xkcd

srsly78 wrote: »
    That's fine, but don't try to make other people adopt your nonsensical habit.

http://xkcd.com/936/ edit: beaten to the obligatory xkcd

'nonsensical' ..it is what your router is capable of, not going beyond a standard or deviating in some strange manner, instead, following it to the letter.

..it is just a router key, that, at most, only needs to be entered once, it costs you *nothing* to work with a longer password. Nothing.

Do whatever suits yourself. All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You use a short password, I'll maximize mine. No fuss.

There are ten wireless devices in my house, as well as numerous guests/friends connecting.

From Steves site as well(I'm familar with it), he provides a tool that points out how long it would take to brute force a password.

Using in his terms, a massive cracking array would take the following amount of time.

Yours would be 1.27 hundred thousand trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion centuries.

Mine would be 7.83 hundred billion centuries.

If a friends asks me for my wireless password, I would prefer not to hand them a A4 sheet and spend five minutes reading it out to them. Instead I'll live in fear of my distant ancestors having their bandwidth stolen.

..it is just a router key, that, at most, only needs to be entered once, it costs you *nothing* to work with a longer password. Nothing.

Try entering that password on a mobile device.

• Advertisement
Advertisement