Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blaas on the Dunmore Road

Options
  • 30-04-2013 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I just noticed from a distance at the weekend that the shop in Powerscourt looks closed?

This isnt good. Its the only place in walking distance that I could get a Hickeys blaa if I was in that kind of zone, or a Harneys blaa if I was feelin a bit that way instead.

Is there anywhere else that gives the necessary full choice of blaas in that area?

My missis (not local) says a blaa is a blaa or something to that effect so clearly her opinion is to be ignored.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Ardkeen maybe? You'd be pushed to find a choice of the two anywhere.

It'd be sad if Centra is closed after all the years it's been there. It holds a lot of memories for kids that grew up in the Powerscourt/Viewmount area in the 90's including myself. 25 penny sweets, Cadet Cola and a bag of Snax for 50p was my weekly fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ardkeen maybe? You'd be pushed to find a choice of the two anywhere.

I'm not sure that Ardkeen have both. Maybe we were spoilt for choice in Powerscourt. I know of 2 other shops that have both off hand.. One near Hillview and one near John's Park.

I swear I'll travel if I have to.....

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Ya the shop in powerscourt has been closed a good few months now. No sign of anyone taking over the unit anytime soon either.

On the topic of blaas, I'm not of any help unfortunately :o

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Closed shortly after the garage opened again, it's a shame the family that had it were very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Texaco garage in summer hill used to have softies and crustys. Presume they still do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

The Corner Shop, Upper Yellow Road. Hard or soft blaas. Mmmmmmmmmm.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

7upfree wrote: »
    The Corner Shop, Upper Yellow Road. Hard or soft blaas. Mmmmmmmmmm.:D
    Would that be the Upper Yellow Road just off the corner of Dunmore Road near the Cleaboy? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Can you still get Walsh's blaas?

Aren't the best blaas supposedly made in Kilkenny, some bakery out in Kilmacow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Can you still get Walsh's blaas?

That's Harneys Bakery.
    Nice blaas, but everyone has their own preference.

jmcc wrote: »
    Would that be the Upper Yellow Road just off the corner of Dunmore Road near the Cleaboy? :)

Regards...jmcc

Trotter says he'll travel if he has to. I do!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

7upfree wrote: »
    Trotter says he'll travel if he has to. I do!!
    There's traveling and there's going half-way to Kilkenny. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Finnbar01 wrote: »

We don't speak of such things...

jmcc wrote: »
    There's traveling and there's going half-way to Kilkenny. :)

Regards...jmcc

But, as the ad says, we're worth it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Ardkeen stores have both soft and crusty Blaa's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder if its possible to make blaas at home. Anyone got the recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

mike65 wrote: »
    I wonder if its possible to make blaas at home. Anyone got the recipe?

:eek::eek::eek: That's like asking somebody if they have the recipe for Coca-Cola!!

It's a secret!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

courtsey of asphyxia

Ingredients
    500g extra strong white flour, plus extra for dredging
    10g salt
    10g butter
    10g active dried yeast
    10g sugar
    275g water, lukewarm
    Method
    1. Dissolve yeast and sugar into water. Ensure that the water is warm, not cold or hot. Leave for 10 minutes. It should get nice and frothy, indicating that the yeast is alive and well.
    2. Sieve dry ingredients, introducing air.
    3. Rub butter and dry mixture together.
    4. Add wet to dry ingredients, mix until combined. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. It will go from rough to a little shiny
    5. Proof for 45 mins in a bowl covered in clingfilm in a warm part of your kitchen. Remove from the bowl and knock back, pushing the air out the dough. Rest for 15mins. (The short rest times gives the gluten time to relax, making shaping easier).
    6. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
    7. Rest for 5mins, covered.
    8. Roll out to an round shape and place the balls side by side in a square baking dish (that has some flour on) to proof. Dredge with flour again .
    9. Final proofing for 50mins. Nearly there! Dredge with a little extra flour.
    10. Bake for 15-20mins at 210c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cheers, sounds like too much work though! :p

iseegirls wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: That's like asking somebody if they have the recipe for Coca-Cola!!

It's a secret!:D

I did wonder if I was inviting a horses head to be placed in my bed :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

courtsey of asphyxia

Ingredients
    500g extra strong white flour, plus extra for dredging
    10g salt
    10g butter
    10g active dried yeast
    10g sugar
    275g water, lukewarm
    Method
    1. Dissolve yeast and sugar into water. Ensure that the water is warm, not cold or hot. Leave for 10 minutes. It should get nice and frothy, indicating that the yeast is alive and well.
    2. Sieve dry ingredients, introducing air.
    3. Rub butter and dry mixture together.
    4. Add wet to dry ingredients, mix until combined. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. It will go from rough to a little shiny
    5. Proof for 45 mins in a bowl covered in clingfilm in a warm part of your kitchen. Remove from the bowl and knock back, pushing the air out the dough. Rest for 15mins. (The short rest times gives the gluten time to relax, making shaping easier).
    6. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
    7. Rest for 5mins, covered.
    8. Roll out to an round shape and place the balls side by side in a square baking dish (that has some flour on) to proof. Dredge with flour again .
    9. Final proofing for 50mins. Nearly there! Dredge with a little extra flour.
    10. Bake for 15-20mins at 210c.

No sugar or butter in blaa's so you must be quoting burger buns

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Funfair wrote: »
    No sugar or butter in blaa's so you must be quoting burger buns

well if you know so much why dont you stick up the recipie :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement